• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k75 '94 Front Tire Wear Question

heejrbmw

My k75 had an Avon Venom tire on the front when I bought it. It had unusual tread wear that I believe most would call "scalloped" that got progressively more noticeable as I added miles. If scalloped is not what I should call it, I don't know the proper description. Perhaps "sawtooth-like." A friend who purports to know a lot about motorcycles said I should change the tire and said he was not sure what would cause wear like he was seeing. He asked if I accelerate hard coming out of curves.

After asking questions here, I decided to buy Bridgestone BT45 tires. I had the front tire mounted. The rear still had too much tread to replace. I have put about 3,000 miles on the front tire and I'm seeing the same kind of tread wear on the Bridgestone. I have not mounted the rear tire yet and still have an Avon on the rear that still looks good.

The tread on the Avon and Bridgestone have horizontal divisions that make up the tread pattern. It appears the leading edge of the tread wears less than the trailing edge of the pattern for each tread section. So it looks a bit sawtooth like if you try to sight across the tire looking at the horizon. That may make no sense. I tried to get a photo, but it just does not show up well.

I would like to know if anyone has an idea what would cause the tread to wear as described and if it is a problem. Or is it just characteristic of tires that have horizontal breaks in the pattern? My riding partner has Metzeler tires and his appear to wear even all the way around. However, his tread pattern does not have horizontal breaks. The tread pattern on his is continuous lines that zigzag all the way around the tire.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Thanks Walter. The article explains what I cannot adequately describe. I suspect it is a characteristic of the tire pattern. I may try the Metzelers next time I purchase and see how they wear.

Thanks!
Ed

I used Metzlers also. The Bridgestone tires lasted longer than the Metzlers. The Bridgestone rear tire lasted about 1600 more miles than the Metzler. Riding conditions the same with both sets of tires.

Back