• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K12RS Pinging

K12RS

I was riding my 99 K12RS in traffic the other day and noticed that my bike was pinging at low speed acceleration. Bad gas or early signal that something else my be wrong? 24K service 3K miles ago.

I was riding my 99 K12RS in traffic the other day and noticed that my bike was pinging at low speed acceleration. Bad gas or early signal that something else my be wrong? 24K service 3K miles ago.

Sudden onset pinging on a bike that normally doesn't ping signals that there is a problem. It might be only temporary. You were in traffic. If by that you mean aggravating stop and go, paddlefoot etc the bike might have been hotter than normal even if not truly overheated. This can cause pinging. You might have bad gas. You might have a partially clogged fuel injector or two causing a lean condition and pinging. You need to do further observation as to when it pings and when it doesn't. Then you can narrow down the possible causes to the most likely and go from there.

Buy a good gas!

Like Chevron, etcetc. Chevron products have something called "Techron" cleaners and this is a great product for the "fuel systems"....I've got hundreds of thousands of miles with the stuff and never had any issue:). Otherwise, wring it out! Crank that RS to the higher rpm's occasionally, just for fun. Hold on though:). Your filter is a huge item to consider, too, with "any" fuel injected engine. Its as important to the life of the system as anything in there. PS; I know the gas can be cruddy from nearly any source on occasion, so be it. One of my pet peeves is filling my bike when the "big rig" is dumping a fresh load into the ground at the same time I'm filling:(. It always makes me think what a mix I'm getting, as he stirs the underground tank. If any debris is down there, its getting stirred up! The pumps have filters, of course, but I cannot help but think! Happy Trails, Randy13233. Another PS; My pickup(Ford F350) used to have a 25-30000 mile filter change interval! They have changed it to 15000miles in recent years for the fuels/engines of this day...Think about it? Its good insurance to just change your filter more often, I feel. Ride safe:D

Back