• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just got this cool machine!

Y

yrfuneralmytrial

Hello all, I just bought this '75 R75/6 yesterday and am pretty stoked. I'm fairly new to BMW (my last 4 bikes have been Hinckley Triumphs) but am looking forward to bonding with this bike. It's got 46k+ miles, seems to run right etc... I took it out today for about 50 miles and all seemed well. I got it for $2000 from a guy fairly local to me. I have no service records and the guy wasn't a big talker but from I could get out of him, I got the impression he looked after the essentials. Have a look and chime in. Like I said, I'm on the front-end of BMW ownership and am not sure what's what. From what I can see:

-front fender has been resprayed (likely with a rattlecan)
-the handlebars seem VERY tall/upright (stock?). I favor a lower bar but these are pretty comfortable.
-no spokes
-centerstand should have a "tang" right? mine doesn't.
-sidestand is longer than a mule's...
-tank paint is not bad at all. Rear fender paint is chipping.
-previous owner repaintedthe frame.

I think I'm going to put new roundels on and let it be.
I'll figure out more as I go but I love it already. A cool bike.
fullshot.jpg

For $2K, to get what appears to be a clean, straight R75/6 with Lester mags AND still has the sidecovers, I'd say that you got a darn good deal. Do look to checking/changing all the oils(engine, transmission, driveshaft, final drive, fork, and brake fluid) &filters (air and oil), and the valve lash for starters. I've gotten paranoid in my old age so without any maintenance history, I'd also pull the tranny anch check/lube the splines (and the rear drive splines too). With regular care and feeding, it'll probably give you another 46K miles before you have to look at replacing valves&valve seats.

Hey, thanks for the welcome...I should've said something. I'm in NW Arkansas, have been riding seriously for 8 years and have been partial to Hinckley Triumphs (have a well sorted '99 Speed Triple now and until recently I had a '98 TBird that I cafe'd a bit-see pic). Anyway, I've always liked and admired the older BMWs and now finally have one. Sadly (but good for me this time), I live in big V-Twin country so I don't think many people found the bike desirable (hence the bargain). I ordered a Haynes manual but am visiting the BMW shop tomorrow because I think they have a better version.
98tbird.jpg

Another nice bike, you're killing me :laugh

Clymer...never out grow your need for manuals

Nice. I beleive those are stock US bars. There are lower Euro style available and cables to match. The tangs get broken when someone stands on them while raising the bike. The PO put a crowbar on my R100 with hose clamps to serve as the tang. Looked like hell, but it worked so well, I left it be.

I'd say you got a good deal.

I had a similar bike and I put low bars from the "S" model on and really liked it.

Please get the black paint off of your valve covers too.

Welcome to the forum.:wave

"Please get the black paint off of your valve covers too."

-Yeah, why is it there? Was that a cosmetic mod prevalant in '75???

welcome aboard!

sweet looking airhead, i'm going back to one myself, after i sell the oilhead

very nice t-bird too, my friend's got one that he's done some mods to (the engine has daytona internals, it's a quick machine:thumb )

157943305_nfjd9-M.jpg

Wow, he's got his TBS looking awesome! I had 4-way adjustable clips-ons on mine but the "comfort vs. cool" came out with comfort as the winner. I reeeaallly regret selling it and offered to buy it back but the guy is having too much fun on it.
I've had two of 'em. Really great bikes. But, I'm more excited about this R75/6 than anything in a long time and am looking forward to looking after it.

Welcome. :clap I hope you enjoy the bike and the community. It is a great looking 75/6.

Hey! I know you and those bikes from the Triumph forum...........welcome to the BMW side of the world.

Looks like you got a great deal!

Here's my T-Bird

60fd_4-vi.jpg

yep, you NEED to get the paint off those peanut heads!!!
yep, you will be a lot more happier and comfortable with euro bars or S bars.
If you have a problem with "no spokes" you can trade those Lester mags with me any time so that my R75 will match my R100. Some people like the spokes because they are "retro" or appropriate for that year but I really like the Lesters.

Last edited:
yep, you NEED to get the paint of those peanut heads!!!
If you have a problem with "no spokes" you can trade those Lester mags with me any time so that my R75 will match my R100. Some people like the spokes because they are "retro" or appropriate for that year but I really like the Lesters.

i'd agree with all this, those US bars are dopey, i swapped them out on my R100 for some low ones.

Hey! I know you and those bikes from the Triumph forum...........welcome to the BMW side of the world.

Looks like you got a great deal!

Here's my T-Bird

60fd_4-vi.jpg

-Cool...from Triumphrat.net? I used to moderate the T3 forum but there were guys infinitely more well versed than I. That's a great looking TBird. I did a SS1000 on my first one in stock form. Once.

yep, you NEED to get the paint off those peanut heads!!!

-I think I'm just going to sand off the two outer lines for now. I'll keep your wheels trade in mind (thanks). Re the bars, I've always been more of a forward/cafe guy but I've been a little shocked at how much I'm liking these US bars. I'll concede the low bars/bar end mirrors style looks infinitely better.

No sales tax & $12.50 permanent "Antique" tag!!! That rocks. I've ordered Euro bars & cables, oil filters, oil pan gasket (tiny leak post-long rides). Come on Haynes manual. I did a 200+ mile ride this Sunday with a good friend that rides an 01 T100 Bonnie. He said the R75 handled better!!!

Hot Springs Ramble Rally this weekend. Gulpha Gorge campground. More info on main page under Happenings then, When and Were. Bring your bike and show it off. Barry.

Back