• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It's time to switch the ratchet over to tighten.

btw, you gonna fix that dent in the engine's front cover?

Sorry, no new photos right now.

Bubba, I'm going to keep the dented cam chain cover and front cover. I'll get them bead blasted and paint the cam chain cover so it looks nice. The dent will stay, but the parts will look otherwise new.

I think that's the way to hold on to some of this bike's past, but still look good. I'm still fooling around with the frame and various parts. I need to get the centerstand welded, the parts off to powdercoat. While that's all out, I'll sort the fasteners and get them out for replating.

I've got a line on a seat and a driveshaft, so I'm psyched about that.

The bodywork showed up on Monday.

Oooh la la.

258842129_nDZHx-XL.jpg

I really like the pearl and moto sport pin striping. I may be biased though.

I've got some other parts, too.

256260533_r5sDk-L.jpg

Dave, tell me you're going to do the frame before you put it back together. If you don't, you'll probably regret it. (I'd search ebay for a front cover as well. :p That one will make a good "I bent these louvers and lived to tell about it" trophy for your garage wall)

Looking good.

I've got it pretty much done. It needs a seat cover and some other small bits, but it's a rider.

And it rides really, really nicely. :brad

380928057_Sm9Kj-XL.jpg

Dave, tell me you're going to do the frame before you put it back together. If you don't, you'll probably regret it. (I'd search ebay for a front cover as well. :p That one will make a good "I bent these louvers and lived to tell about it" trophy for your garage wall)

Looking good.

Yup. Powdercoated the frame. I kept the bent cam chain cover, but painted it so it looks really pretty. The bend is behind the frame tube, so you have to look for it to see it.

Of course, I managed to scratch the powder coat putting the motor back in, but hey, that's life, right? It's sitting in the atrium now, next to the /2. They look happy together. :D

Wow, great looking bike. Nice job indeedy! :thumb

Did you have the wheels painted too?

How much does an engine weigh anyway?

Thanks!

It cost me about $10 to paint the wheels. I had the tires off, masked off the bearing surfaces, stuffed the drum with newspaper and sealed it up with blue tape and sprayed it out in my garage with Dupli-Color silver. It's almost an exact match for the original Wurth silver.

I think the motor weighs right about 150 pounds or so. It takes three people to mount it. One on each jug and one person to get the mounting rods and spacers installed. The hard part is getting it through the frame and into position. I put bicycle inner tubes over the frame, but probably should have wrapped a blanket or something underneath them.

I've got a '84 R100 and it doesn't look that nice. It's a twin disk, rear drum. Now I Know what to shoot for. Good job my man, ride and enjoy. ps I just love a slow bike.

Beautiful!

It will reward you every time you ride it, clean it and just admire it as it sits in your garage.

:thumb

Bravo!

I love that color, it just glimmers!

You must have a ton of satisfaction when you look at that bike.

I don't think you'll ever regret doing that one up right, nice job!
:clap

Dave,

The bike looks great. Does this mean I'll start seeing you at some of the local airhead events?

Jeff

P.S. It looks like you live in an Eichler home. I love the look of Eichlers.

Back