• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is it safe to tour in the States?

:scratch
There has been some pretty good advice on this subject. There is no need for a google-a-thon as to who can come up with the most horrific statistics- based on what amounts to hear-say.
This needs to stay on track.
The Mod Team.

Far from accurate?

300,000+ in uniform, and he comes up with this?

Hey ..... it's the Forum. Can pretty much say whatever.

It's the fool who swallows that Kool-Aid that one should worry about. :banghead

:scratch
There has been some pretty good advice on this subject. There is no need for a google-a-thon as to who can come up with the most horrific statistics- based on what amounts to hear-say.
This needs to stay on track.
The Mod Team.

Are reports from Main Stream U.S. and World-wide Media to be considered "Hear-Say"?

REALLY?

Is this multi-year MOA Supporter about to be banned for reposting multi-media links supporting his position in a respectful manner?

Are reports from Main Stream U.S. and World-wide Media to be considered "Hear-Say"?

REALLY?

Is this multi-year MOA Supporter about to be banned for reposting multi-media links supporting his position in a respectful manner?
stay-calm-spelled-out-alphabet-building-blocks-22103083.jpg

I guess in your excitement, you missed that nobody was threatened with being banned :scratch
OM

Main stream media often fails to rise to the level of hear-say in credibility.

Just in case we need another rabbit to chase down a hole.

Last edited:
I also look at the risk/reward equation a different way. What is the risk of NOT doing something? A certain amount of fear and caution in many circumstances is prudent. To let fear keep you from doing things you could do reasonably safely is also a risk. A risk of missing out on experiences. I've traveled through Mexico alone on a motorcycle, and although I had a couple of incidents that could have come out badly, by being reasonably careful and aware I managed to have a great time that created a lifetime of memories.

Everyone will die. But not everyone will really live. Don't let too much fear keep you from living.

Riding more than safe

I have been riding (as a female rider) solo criss-cross the USA and Canada and never had any problems. To the contrary, I make many friends this way. My 40 year old R80/7 routinely has some kind of problems on the road and I am depending on kind people to help me out, People here (and I am originally from Germany) are so kind and helpful and do whatever it takes to make me comfortable, I have been in big cities (even thought I don't like it) and the experiences were the same. Naturally, you have to be alert and read your surroundings. It did happen that I did have to continue riding when I had planned to stop, but just as a pre-caution. Nothing ever happened,
Jessica S.
Old Blue:)

Sounds like something someone who hasn't been to the rest of the world might offer. I've been to a lot of the rest of the world, from Paramaribo to Bora Bora, and experienced none of that loathing. Please, tell me more about your rest of the world; it might make for interesting travels.

Just to be clear, your measured advice to "our Canadian friend" is to not go where there are brown people ("mostly inner city areas"). That may be wise, but please spare me the feigned, high-handed openness.

The question asked by our "friend" presupposes a fright and fear of the "wild west" that is both banal and unnecessary. One might be killed crossing the street in Ushuaia. One might have one's throat slit in Winnipeg. Indeed, this unfounded fright may be why Canadians are reviled around the world (since we're just making random and unfounded generalizations about nationalities). I found the question tiresome. That's allowable.

If the snowflake has any sense of humor, he/she may be able to discern a certain sarcasm (and hat tip to The Wizard of Oz). In that way, one might determine my message as an encouragement for "our friend" to do what he/she wants without any inordinate (or condescending) fear.

This is all to mention nothing of the dangers inherent to throwing your leg over a motorcycle, for crying out loud.

I've read this insulting and childish post several times now in an attempt to find anything redeeming about it. But there is nothing redeeming in here at all. You sir are resorting to name calling which you were taught not to do in kindergarden and thinly veiled insults which you should have learned as an adult are really not the way to win friends and influence people as Dale Carnegie once explained.

Look, it's really a simple question. We have a member who has never traveled in the USA and is asking for help and advice. If you don't care to give any, just shut up and keep browsing. I am quite certain the OP was in no way trying to denigrate your country but simply trying to gather information and opinions. You misread his intent. Completely. And jumped to your own conclusions. And even if you think you didn't that is no reason to start tossing insults and assumptions around like candy.

Just so you know, sarcastically calling the OP "our Canadian friend", "friend" followed by assuming that a person you do not know has no sense of humour and then calling them a "snowflake" is not acceptable. As someone who travels in the USA extensively most years to reunite with close friends on the rally circuit I find your comments insulting to all Canadian MOA members.

Main stream media often fails to rise to the level of hear-say in credibility.

Just in case we need another rabbit to chase down a hole.

'Main stream media' stopped reporting news shortly after Walter Cronkite gave us his last "...and that's the way it is....."

Now, it's 3 to 6 talking heads per screen, not telling us a train fell off a trestle (that's news), but rather opinions and editorials about alleged corruption in the Burlington-Northern boardroom, or some such drivel.

They've lost all perspective of what 'news' is, which is why all networks now need an enormous staff to tell us what they think we need to believe, instead of just telling us what happened.

Personally, I think the OP in this thread now has more than enough information to decide whether or not to visit the USA. I think Omega Man should 'lock 'er down' and we can all move on to some other crisis in the motorcycling world. :scratch

Is it safe to tour the States

Wow ! 11 pages of opinions and getting nasty fast. OP, go back to post #27 again. Gun comment is a joke, note big smiley face. Advice offered is applicable worldwide. For those who might not be aware, Robert Zimmerman was a skinny kid from MN, better known as Bob Dylan. Also told us "to live outside the law you must be honest". Both pieces have worked pretty well for me during extensive travels in and out of the USA.

Friedle

Where it's safe

I can only speak about North Carolina with any authority but I am hoping to change that next year with a cross country ride and a jaunt north to British Columbia. Now then, here in NC there are many delightful tours that people seem to flock to every year. You can stay off the Interstate 95 and use solid four lane roads that vary between 55-70 max. There are many two lane roads as well where the views are spectacular. Many folks ride the Dragon's Tail over on the western edge of NC. I guess it's a rush to spend a couple hours weaving back and forth around corners but I prefer something more direct where I can point and shoot. The Blue Ridge Parkway would be my choice. I live in eastern NC and it's all flat. It might be boring for some but I like the open spaces. As for safety as in criminal intent, not a problem. Just exercise common sense and stay away from biker bars where Harley owners congregate to drink and ride and sometimes die. If you're in eastern NC give me a call 252 288 2082 and be welcomed to a BandB no charge. Ride safe, Jerry in New Bern, NC (BMW R1200RT)

I can only speak about North Carolina with any authority but I am hoping to change that next year with a cross country ride and a jaunt north to British Columbia. Now then, here in NC there are many delightful tours that people seem to flock to every year. You can stay off the Interstate 95 and use solid four lane roads that vary between 55-70 max. There are many two lane roads as well where the views are spectacular. Many folks ride the Dragon's Tail over on the western edge of NC. I guess it's a rush to spend a couple hours weaving back and forth around corners but I prefer something more direct where I can point and shoot. The Blue Ridge Parkway would be my choice. I live in eastern NC and it's all flat. It might be boring for some but I like the open spaces. As for safety as in criminal intent, not a problem. Just exercise common sense and stay away from biker bars where Harley owners congregate to drink and ride and sometimes die. If you're in eastern NC give me a call 252 288 2082 and be welcomed to a BandB no charge. Ride safe, Jerry in New Bern, NC (BMW R1200RT)

I always like to hear from NC folks Jerry. Due to family matters I spend a lot of time in the Tar Heel state, usually in April when it's a great time to get really good rides after a Massachusetts winter. The BRP, Cherohala Skyway and other great roads out west in NC are wonderful.

I returned to riding at age 65 in 2009, and have managed close to 100K miles all over the US during from then to now. The only hostile situation I encountered in that time was a Harley rider who challenged me to race (on my heavily-laden RT) in Alabama in 2010. I think 22 years in law enforcement tuned my observations about bad situations and other odd and interesting things.

I'd be surprised if the OP is still reading this, but it does give us all some insight about human behavior in the US.

Last edited:
The only hostile situation I encountered in that time was a Harley rider who challenged me to race (on my heavily-laden RT) in Alabama in 2010. /QUOTE]

This reminds me of my dear friend, the late Ardys Kellerman. Ardys rode her BMWs over a million miles and finished the Iron Butt Rally four times. I know the tale but forget some of the specifics.

But when Ardys was in her 70s riding a BMW RT of some size - probably one of her 1100s - a somewhat squidly type youngster on a crotch rocket pulled up beside her at a stoplight (I think in Austin, Texas). He smiled and asked "Do you want to race? Her response was "Sure - how about to Kansas City" (or maybe it was Denver but you get the gist of this).

The only hostile situation I encountered in that time was a Harley rider who challenged me to race (on my heavily-laden RT) in Alabama in 2010. /QUOTE]

This reminds me of my dear friend, the late Ardys Kellerman. Ardys rode her BMWs over a million miles and finished the Iron Butt Rally four times. I know the tale but forget some of the specifics.

But when Ardys was in her 70s riding a BMW RT of some size - probably one of her 1100s - a somewhat squidly type youngster on a crotch rocket pulled up beside her at a stoplight (I think in Austin, Texas). He smiled and asked "Do you want to race? Her response was "Sure - how about to Kansas City" (or maybe it was Denver but you get the gist of this).

I love that response from Ardys, Paul. In my case, the guy must have had a bad day. When I just kept riding east, and ignored him, he gave me the sign which in Massachusetts says: "You're number one with me!" On a motorcycle it's usually rendered with the left hand.

I rather thought this post was absurd.

However, Stats Canada provided the results of survey today that basically states that 30% fewer Canadians are crossing to the south. Participants stated that uncertainty with Trump and an increase in gun violence were the major contributors.

I think that Media has done an extremely poor job in addressing some of these issues in favour of sensationalism.

The only time I don't feel safe in the USA is when I am at an arena and a Canadian team best the hell out of one yours.

I get a little exuberant. "And that's how you play hockey in CANADA!!"

I rather thought this post was absurd.

However, Stats Canada provided the results of survey today that basically states that 30% fewer Canadians are crossing to the south. Participants stated that uncertainty with Trump and an increase in gun violence were the major contributors.

I think that Media has done an extremely poor job in addressing some of these issues in favour of sensationalism.

The only time I don't feel safe in the USA is when I am at an arena and a Canadian team best the hell out of one yours.

I get a little exuberant. "And that's how you play hockey in CANADA!!"

I think the exchange rate of our currencies is a big factor in the decline in Canadians traveling south of the border.

I had season tickets to the University of Alaska Fairbanks hockey team for a dozen years. Our moto was “Our Canadians can beat your Canadians”.

I think the exchange rate of our currencies is a big factor in the decline in Canadians traveling south of the border.

I had season tickets to the University of Alaska Fairbanks hockey team for a dozen years. Our moto was “Our Canadians can beat your Canadians”.

Hmmm........our loose fiscal policy has resulted in a cheaper dollar for the last 9+ months.....

Not sure to what loose aspect of our fiscal policy you are referring, but when a CDN$ is worth only $0.78 US (as it is today) it is a bad deal for the traveling Canadian.

Back