• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Iron Butt Rally 2007

185673557-L.jpg

All that instrumentation on the motorcycle makes it look like one of those things you park in the path of a tornado.

As they say, it's the rider, not the bike.

Just wishing I could hear and tell all of the stories!

Voni
sMiling

From the Star-Traxx page it looks like one of the riders is dead in the water north of Philadelphia.

Most of the tracked riders are up at the Maine-New Brunswick border. One rider went to Key West. A couple others are stuck in Georgia and South Carolina. One wonders what they are after.

By the looks of the suits the riders are wearing, Andy Goldfine is a happy man! A real testament to really good, all-weather gear.

Just got my new 'stich.:clap But an Iron Butt Rider I'll never be.

Muriel

one thing that really enters my head.. maybe since i fall more on the purist side of things when doing my own ironbutt rides is... all the bikes that are farkled up with too much junk... to much relying on high-tech things instead of knowing your own nav skills... remember at a presentation George Barns did a few years ago about the year he won and the year he was so close to being the only back to back winner of the IBR... when he got to the leg of IB that was in California he did not get out his computer or maps even... he grew up in the areas and knew how long thing took to go from a to b to d to g to z to get the most points..

Kneebone is crafty in how he sets up the bonuses to really see how people navgate... the more tech you throw on you cycle the more possiblity in having something break down or go into malfuc mode that takes your concentration from the main goal... RIDING.. Yes, a TOM TOM can be good for advance weather planning... and routing in a city to find a check point but you still need to know how to get there without...

in the year that Barns almost re-won... he was stopped for a simple thing like a tail light being out and was held up in MN for an hour in the rain on the hwy by a PIA Minn state cop... finally figureed it out... even had to wittle a oil cap for the bike in the middle of nowhere canada since he for got ot but his back after topping of the oil... the Tech only slows you down in the long run...

I haven't heard of any rider stopped, but I know of at least 2 Star-Traxx that are no longer working. Rain and electronics are not a good combo.

Voni
sMiling

one thing that really enters my head.. maybe since i fall more on the purist side of things when doing my own ironbutt rides is... all the bikes that are farkled up with too much junk... to much relying on high-tech things instead of knowing your own nav skills... remember at a presentation George Barns did a few years ago about the year he won and the year he was so close to being the only back to back winner of the IBR... when he got to the leg of IB that was in California he did not get out his computer or maps even... he grew up in the areas and knew how long thing took to go from a to b to d to g to z to get the most points..

Kneebone is crafty in how he sets up the bonuses to really see how people navgate... the more tech you throw on you cycle the more possiblity in having something break down or go into malfuc mode that takes your concentration from the main goal... RIDING.. Yes, a TOM TOM can be good for advance weather planning... and routing in a city to find a check point but you still need to know how to get there without...

in the year that Barns almost re-won... he was stopped for a simple thing like a tail light being out and was held up in MN for an hour in the rain on the hwy by a PIA Minn state cop... finally figureed it out... even had to wittle a oil cap for the bike in the middle of nowhere canada since he for got ot but his back after topping of the oil... the Tech only slows you down in the long run...

which is why I was cheered up seein'that unplugged rally that's gonna be in Mn next month..

Dunno if you've seen this on the main site, but nice work Vince!

(this is from the start)

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="620" height="526" id="soundslider" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/IBR_07/starting/soundslider.swf?size=1&format=txt" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="menu" value="false" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/IBR_07/starting/soundslider.swf?size=1&format=txt" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="620" height="526" name="soundslider" align="middle" menu="false" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>

I haven't heard of any rider stopped, but I know of at least 2 Star-Traxx that are no longer working. Rain and electronics are not a good combo.

Voni
sMiling

Probably more like how it is done than what it is.

Back