• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Images from the Alpine Inn NC

R

rocketman

A few quick shots from the trip down to the Georgia Mountain Rally

Had a great time at the rally and spent 4 days riding for around 1200 miles most of which was above 3000 feet in the blue ridge mountains. On the way back did almost 400 of the 430 some miles of the BR Parkway and hit the highest point Sunday on my way to stay at the Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland NC. ItÔÇÖs a lovely quaint little Inn perched right on the edge of the mountains at around 3200 feet. Once I get my 400 + images processed and sorted I post a proper ride report.

For now

The highest point the Blue Ridge Motor Road 6053 ft. this is in the southern end in NC which is generally higher than the northern end.

PW-highest-point-web.jpg

From the Alpine Inn, a really wonderful, very relaxed little Inn with maybe 6 rooms..

This is how one usually finds the Inn Keepersbusy at work as always :lol

AI-owners-web.jpg

The view from my room, note the flat topped mountain in the background is some 40 miles away!

AI-view1-web.jpg

The Building has settled in the front to the point that whole structure has a very noticeable slant, the doors had to be cut at an angle so they could open into the building.
This is the porch, note that the curve of the wall with the windows and slope of the tables is NOT a trick or distortion of the lens, it really IS the way you see it! (note the line of the tree in the back, ThatÔÇÖs the only true vertical line!)

AP-porch-web.jpg

My breakfast, fresh coffee and juice, a slice each of home make cranberry and a nut bead (still warm!) home made nut and granola cereal, fresh fruit topped with cottage cheese and fresh (real) butter. MMMMM

AI-breakfast-web.jpg

And an early AM sunrise, color enhanced, to show the sun without too much flare and show the suns disk more distinctly.

AI-sunrise1-web.jpg

As far as IÔÇÖm concerned, itÔÇÖs a must stop overnighter on any trip along the Parkway. This was my third visit, but certainly not my last.

RM

Parkway

Nice photos and a great section of the Parkway. Is the Parkway still closed above Mt Mitchell?

CMiller

Nice photos and a great section of the Parkway. Is the Parkway still closed above Mt Mitchell?

CMiller

yup, I ran into two actually, one is north of Mabry Mill, but is fairly short, the other was from somewhere past Ashville NC (heading north) around Rt 80 to Rt. 226 and I had to double back on the parkway to get to 226A and the Inn.

There was also some sort of serious accident involving a motorcyclist that had just happened as I was coming up 226, they had him/her lying on the side of the road as I pasted, it must have just happened minutes before. Looks like he/she ran off the road, 226 and 226A are Very windy, narrow, steep roads with no barriers and drop offs of a thousand feet or more. A number of the roads that cross the parkway at the lower end have become popular MC playgrounds it seems so I expect the accident rates will increase over the coming years, glad I was riding most of it during the week. Rode a good bit in both directions over the four days of traveling down and back, in fact.

RM

Back