• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm Back! New To Me Bike - BMR Products

SteveAikens

Proud Veteran
Been a while since I've been around. Health issues have kept me off bikes for a couple years. Trying to see what I could work out to ride ANYTHING again - I bought an E-Ton BEEMER scooter. After a close to a year, I figured I was almost ready to try a bike again. Still not able to lean into the sportier bikes I love, but was looking.

June of 2009, I was surprised with a visit from Jay Kuhns, Deb Lower, Stan Herman, and Carol and Neil Powers from the Pike's Peak Club [Number 52]. I incinerated something on the grill - rode bitch on Jay's gorgeous K and got back to the house [Rumor has it that there was some kind of chisel proof grin on my kisser when we got back] and killed some liquefied grapes. They presented me with a new nametag and some scarves and pins from Gillette, and a couple club shirts - and promptly the next morning - split - leaving me in Clovis - with an E-Ton BEEMER. :cry

Damn them. I was trying to move back to riding sensibly and quietly. Of course, that was before they arrived and before I was Jay's bitch....:nono... Not THAT kind of bitch.....:bikes

On my 63rd birthday in August, I flew to Salt Lake City to pick up a new to me R1100RT-P. I took the motorcycle shortcut home to Clovis - through Cheyenne - stopping in Colorado Springs to visit and rest some before heading home. Great ride. The R11RT-P is a great bike and was [in my mind] destined to be my last bike.

Unfortunately, I dropped in over at Iron Horse BMW in Tucson to pick up a set of Johar grips for the R11 on Tuesday May 4th. I went back to Tucson on May 13th to pick up my new to me, R1200RT.

r1200rt-1%20(Medium).jpg

r1200rt-2%20(Medium).jpg

r1200rt-3%20(Medium).jpg

What was I thinking??? R11RTP my last bike.??. The Woman told me I was nuts not to buy this one. She was right. On the way home from Tucson, I took the motorcycle shortcut over to Safford, 191 to Clifton, Morenci, Hannigan Meadows, Alpine, Springerville, then followed US 60 across to Clovis. Nice little 700 mile day that took 12 full hours because of the great 191 ride. Averaging something like 25 mph will do that to you....

But it's ok because ---- :bikes

You can see on the bike, there is a BMR Co-Pilot shelf. I bought the GPS Mount , left and right accessory arms for it but unfortunately, the previous owner forgot to leave the GPS mount bracket, that goes with the shelf. I called BMR, spoke to Brett and told him what my problem was. He promptly told me he'd shoot me one off, with screws and cover shipping - it would go out today. I told him I had no problem paying for it, and shipping but he wouldn't hear of it and refused. I just got a shipping confirmation that the mount parts I need have been comped - and shipped.

BMR has quality products. The service and customer support is second to none. First rate products, first rate service and support and a first rate company. How can you go wrong.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
http://www.nmpcs.com/breaktime.htm

Nom de Plume:
Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
steve@nmpcs.com
IBA # 8404

Now just how many miles do you have on Beemers NOOB??? :stick

Well, on this 1200Rt, I can say I'm over 700 - or so - clearly, still a NOOB!. I'll try harder...:clap

Hi Bob. Believe it or not, I do. Next time we see each other, you'll laugh at it again....:D

BTW, Bob, you making Redmond? I need another set of plugs, Dude.

Bury the gold, lock up the jewels, hide the women, send the children off to work the fields. Look out. Steve is back! :)

Bury the gold, lock up the jewels, hide the women, send the children off to work the fields. Look out. Steve is back! :)

I can understand burying the gold.
I can understand locking up the jewels.
I can understand sending the children off to work the fields.

But why would you want to hide dem beautiful wimmins.??. Oh. Drat!

Thanks Don. Nice to see so many old friends still here. I hoping to see everyone in Redmond. It's been too long.

Great to see you here, Steve! Hope to catch up with you again at Redmond. (I'll be at the vintage display.)

Zumo 220????

Hi Steve, liked your comments and writeup, how do you think a Zumo 220 would work on a 2010 R1200Rt with a BMR Mount?
Sounds like it would pretty match your setup. I like the idea of the gps being just above the instrument cluster.
Thanks in advance for your help, and any others as well.
David.

Thanks Darryl. I knew exactly where I'll find you at the rally. I'll be there. Are you planning on Paonia this year? We might consider hooking up for the ride down. As you know, we have similar enough riding styles for a good ride and by then, I'll be 100 percent again.

Sorry I wasn't able to visit much at Deming. That was the first ride The Woman and I had together in a few years and we decided we should actually take the time to ride while we had it and had some good mountains to ride in. We ran up to the Cave Dwellings and piddled around some along the Mimbres-area. Didn't want to seem anti-social but we needed time for ourselves.

Hi Steve, liked your comments and writeup, how do you think a Zumo 220 would work on a 2010 R1200Rt with a BMR Mount?
Sounds like it would pretty match your setup. I like the idea of the gps being just above the instrument cluster.
Thanks in advance for your help, and any others as well.
David.

Hi David. I haven't gotten mine mounted yet so I can't really comment personally on how I like the setup while riding. However, I can tell you that I've seen and sat on a bike that had the GPS mounted there and like it better [from sitting there] than the off-set mount I had on a shelf on the R11RT. At first, I thought it may be a bit high but it's not.

I can't say enough about the BMR shelf. It's a rock solid mount that certainly won't bounce around. Considering how solidly it mounts up, I did have some initial concerns about transmitted vibration through the entire platform but I've done enough miles checking it out with my hand on the shelf to be satisfied it won't be a problem.

I don't have any problem recommending the BMR system on the R1200RT's.

Well, on this 1200Rt, I can say I'm over 700 - or so - clearly, still a NOOB!. I'll try harder...:clap

Hi Bob. Believe it or not, I do. Next time we see each other, you'll laugh at it again....:D

BTW, Bob, you making Redmond? I need another set of plugs, Dude.

Nope, can't make it out west this year....:cry

Thanks for the welcome back Tom. Great to see you're still hanging in there.

I'm crying with you Bob. Love to see you again. You have any traveling plans this year where I might hook up with you??

David, I heard from Brett that you contacted them. You're going to really like his products and if you have any issues, I'm positive he'll take care of you promptly.

Hi David. I haven't gotten mine mounted yet so I can't really comment personally on how I like the setup while riding. However, I can tell you that I've seen and sat on a bike that had the GPS mounted there and like it better [from sitting there] than the off-set mount I had on a shelf on the R11RT. At first, I thought it may be a bit high but it's not.

I can't say enough about the BMR shelf. It's a rock solid mount that certainly won't bounce around. Considering how solidly it mounts up, I did have some initial concerns about transmitted vibration through the entire platform but I've done enough miles checking it out with my hand on the shelf to be satisfied it won't be a problem.

I don't have any problem recommending the BMR system on the R1200RT's.

You got that right!:thumb Absolutely love my BMR shelf! Not the best photo angle to show how this looks from a riding vantage point, but it actually shows up in your lower peripheral vision so you really never take your eyes off the road. In fact you'll be going off the speed indicated on your GPS rather than looking down at the dash. Valentine position is pretty cool as well since you can see the direction and strength real easy.

Not sure if we ever met, but welcome back. Sounds like you've been missed for sure.

Attachments

• BMR shelf.jpg
    BMR shelf.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 90
Back