• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ilium Engine Guards/Aux light placement

motodan

Anyone added Ilium's engine guards along with their aux light support brackets? All went well right to the last step, when I went to hook up left side wire to the lights new location (guard bars). That location isn't that different from BMW's aux placement however, left side wiring is too short to hookup unless you move the brackets inward...too far for my taste. If you've run into this how did you resolve it, besides moving the light way inward?

Anyone added Ilium's engine guards along with their aux light support brackets? All went well right to the last step, when I went to hook up left side wire to the lights new location (guard bars). That location isn't that different from BMW's aux placement however, left side wiring is too short to hookup unless you move the brackets inward...too far for my taste. If you've run into this how did you resolve it, besides moving the light way inward?

I would cut the wire and splice in a length of wire long enough reach the new light location. Properly soldered and covered with shrink tubing it should not be too noticeable. Be sure to observe correct polarity!

I recently installed the engine guards/light brackets. On the left side wire, I cut the zip ties holding the wire to the frame. Then I re-routed the wire, giving plenty of slack. This allowed me to move the light bracket outward as far as needed. I did not make pics, but this is a simple solution, should be easy for you to do.

I had BMW of Richfield MN install the factory BMW LEDs on my existing Ilium engine guards, this is the angle they installed them and it doesn't look like any of the wiring was spliced.

led 1.jpg
led 2.jpg

I recently installed the engine guards/light brackets. On the left side wire, I cut the zip ties holding the wire to the frame. Then I re-routed the wire, giving plenty of slack. This allowed me to move the light bracket outward as far as needed.
Exactly what I did. Still not a ton of slack like on the right side but at least there isn't any stress on connector.

Back