• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I think I need a Brick - What Year?

SO, I've been looking at photos of older K bikes and have convinced myself that I need an older (affordable) one. I've been without a money pit for a couple years yet and my wife has started talking to me again, so maybe now's the time. I've been reading about the multi valve engines, spline problems, K75, K100, S model, GT model, paralever, monolever, where is someone to start?

Where to start. I think all Bricks are pretty good bikes. I've only owned one, a '87 K100RT. Bought in the early 90's; cheap. Great bike, I loaded it down with all the accessories. Drawbacks, a little heat off the engine. The fairing is actually beautifull, but doesn't work for me. These bikes don't bring much money used. I'm keeping mine. I've stripped the fairing off and bought the BMW head light bucket assembly, windshield set, and spotlamp kit and plan to mount them on the bike and ride this bike on out into the sunset of my riding career. That said the K1100/1200s are good bikes, but to big for me. I see several different K75's for sell in the MOA marketplace at what I think are fair/good prices. I'd pick one out and buy it in a heartbeat and get to riding. Just my 2 cents. :)

You start by determining what kind of riding you want to do with it; one up or two up, day rides or serious touring, is weather protection or air flow in heat the priority (what temps will you most be riding in), etc.

:dance:dance:dance

I have an '87 K100RT with just shy of 167, 000 miles (of which I have ridden the last 88,000 miles). The only thing that I wish that it had was ABS. Folks often menntion the heat from the K100. My only complaint riding to and from SLC was the Corbin seat became quite warm. Always wanted warm seats for the bikes, just not in the summer. In all the riding I've done on this bike, this is the first time I've noticed any significant heat and it certainly was not unbearable.

Everyone raves about how the K75s are the smoothest bikes ever made by BMW. I have to ride one sometime as I really have difficulty imagining anything smoother than my K100.

what Lee said...depends on what you want to do with it.

i am partial to the 75s. liked it so much i got another one..exactly like the first down to the color. silly easy to work on, fun to ride and have great personality.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Can someone bring me up to speed on the spline issue? Is this prone to only certain models? Mileage related? Or like some BMW issues merely a matter of proper maintenance? There is a '91 K75 for sale local, 1800 bucks 51k miles, bike looks barn rough so I'm assuming (and I know what happens when one assume's) regular maintenance may have suffered.

SO, I've been looking at photos of older K bikes and have convinced myself that I need an older (affordable) one. I've been without a money pit for a couple years yet and my wife has started talking to me again, so maybe now's the time. I've been reading about the multi valve engines, spline problems, K75, K100, S model, GT model, paralever, monolever, where is someone to start?

Hey, jandhumphreyme,

I've had a '99 R1100s for a little over a year now, really like it A LOT, got it running really well, put about 8K miles on it. Wilbers, AF-Xied, cleaned the TB's, etc. FUN bike, HANDLES great,

Then I got to lookin at K bikes at an airhead ralley in NC earlier this summer. Two weeks ago I bought a "Checker Cab" 2000 K1200RS for a little over $3k. 41k miles, Galfers, ABS, bags, helmets, LEATHER JACKET, BMW GPS, box stock, great condition. I don't see how any engine could be ANY smoother, except MAYBE a turbine. Power?? Holly Molly. And it rides and handles VERY WELL. It is heavy, 638 lb dry, but that weight DISAPPEARS, except that it rides so smoothly. THIS BIKE IS NICE. Some say the K75 is the smoothest, but I don't see how. A K75 IS lighter, but if you like FUN...

buying into a K bike

Once you've answered the question " How long is a piece of string?" you'll be able to pick out your new K.

I believe that splines should be inspected, cleaned and lubed at around 45,000 miles.

My 91 K75RT had 30,000 miles when I got it and the rear splines were worn badly. I now inspect and lube them at every rear tire change.

I have enough GD 525 left for about 2 more times. I hope a good replacement grease can be found.

I believe that splines should be inspected, cleaned and lubed at around 45,000 miles.

Clutch splines maybe, but driveshaft splines require attention every 4-8 thousand miles if you want to avoid expensive repairs down the road.

:dance:dance:dance

I'm on my 4th brick, the K75RT. Previously had 2 K75's and a K1100.

On the monolever era models, ask to check the rear splines especially the pre 1989. This was before the spline metallurgy was upgraded. The check and lube are easy. Rubber parts can be a minor issue on older K-Bikes. Easy to work on, the K75's (in my case) can be addictive. Learn K-Bike tech from Anton Largiader's page http://www.largiader.com/

The paralever era is the 4V head, more power, torque, came in RS and LT models, ABS II after 1994. Heavy, but superb sport tourers.

Good luck on whatever model you end up with.

On lubing the DRIVE SHAFT SPLINES, just to be clear are we talkin' just the mid shaft splines or the tranny output, mid shaft, and pinion shaft splines??

On lubing the DRIVE SHAFT SPLINES, just to be clear are we talkin' just the mid shaft splines or the tranny output, mid shaft, and pinion shaft splines??

The monolever classik K bikes have a clipped spine at the front and a sliding spline at the final drive with a one-piece driveshaft - no intermediate spline.

I had 232000 the original splines in my 1986 K75T sold it because it needed a complete rear drive the gears were chipping, it needed the bearing and probably the splines. I then bought a 1987 K75T

We'd really need to know more about you and the riding you hope to do to offer much in the way of meaningful advise. Lacking that, we can always rant about what WE do and don't like!
I've owned every vintage of the Classic Ks, but never bought a K75. For good reason. They lack the punch I look for when I whack my throttle open. If power isn't your bag, or you weight under 120 pounds, they might work for you.
As someone else mentioned, they were the smoothest of the rigid-mount Ks. But the K1200s feature rubber mounted engines which IMO, makes them the choice for guys who are bothered by vibrations. They also have more power than you can reasonable use, which is always nice to have in your back pocket.
That said K1100s offer a nice compromise. Lighter than K12s, more power than K100s (far more than K75s), and reasonably easy to wrench. They do throw off some heat, but heck, you live in Maine!

PM sent......

Hey, jandhumphreyme,

I've had a '99 R1100s for a little over a year now, really like it A LOT, got it running really well, put about 8K miles on it. Wilbers, AF-Xied, cleaned the TB's, etc. FUN bike, HANDLES great,

Then I got to lookin at K bikes at an airhead ralley in NC earlier this summer. Two weeks ago I bought a "Checker Cab" 2000 K1200RS for a little over $3k. 41k miles, Galfers, ABS, bags, helmets, LEATHER JACKET, BMW GPS, box stock, great condition. I don't see how any engine could be ANY smoother, except MAYBE a turbine. Power?? Holly Molly. And it rides and handles VERY WELL. It is heavy, 638 lb dry, but that weight DISAPPEARS, except that it rides so smoothly. THIS BIKE IS NICE. Some say the K75 is the smoothest, but I don't see how. A K75 IS lighter, but if you like FUN...

Amen to everything that you said! What a great bike.

I loved the K1200RS that I used to have. I would like to get another one. Mine was black. I always wanted a "Checker Cab". :thumb

Thanks for the replies, my proclivities are for a K100RS or K75RS, without ABS and it's associated issues. There is a '91 K75RT advertised locally, which has my interest, price seems little high at 2995, but have sent for more information and mileage which was not posted in advertisement.

Back