• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I bought a used 2009 R 1200RT. I now have the fuel strip problem

I just filed my complaint using the the example and link on the post above. my complaint # is 10915013. I urge everyone experiencing this issue to do this. It seems our only hope of a resolution.

Thanks for taking the time.

I just filed my complaint using the the example and link on the post above. my complaint # is 10915013. I urge everyone experiencing this issue to do this. It seems our only hope of a resolution.

So true.

If only that had been done diligently for the final drives. :banghead

Don,
You didn't even claim your record! Aren't you up to 8 or so?

I doubt a fix is possible for a couple reasons, the primary one being that its probably at least partly a software issue in something not readily recoded. I doubt even BMW really believes the nonsense told that its EtOH in US gas that causes failure- if that was all it would be readily addressed.

Still have my originals in my 06 GT and 08 RT. I do fill tanks at the end of every riding day and also don't stretch miles per tank because the strip is silly slow to start working right again.

Replaced yesterday

Garcia Moto replaced mine yesterday. It started working properly on the second fill up.

I was in and out very quickly. Evidently the techs have done so many of these that they have gotten to be experts.

My mileage is 72,654

Don,
You didn't even claim your record! Aren't you up to 8 or so?

I doubt a fix is possible for a couple reasons, the primary one being that its probably at least partly a software issue in something not readily recoded. I doubt even BMW really believes the nonsense told that its EtOH in US gas that causes failure- if that was all it would be readily addressed.

Still have my originals in my 06 GT and 08 RT. I do fill tanks at the end of every riding day and also don't stretch miles per tank because the strip is silly slow to start working right again.

It's a record I'd rather not have. Between 2 R1200R's I think I'm up to 10 total.

I talked to a good mechanic friend about it at a dealership. His feeling was BMW could design a float mechanism with an interface that makes it appear as the fuel strip. The fuel strip reads level by heating a resistive element and measuring the amount of current the resistive element draws. The current is determined by how much of the resistive element is under the fuel. His feeling was a standard resistive float device with an interface could mimic the output of the fuel strip and be used to replace it. What's lacking is motivation on the part of BMW to make the investment in R&D to make it happen. How does one motivate BMW? Perhaps a mandated recall might motivate them to find a lasting solution.

Garcia Moto replaced mine yesterday. It started working properly on the second fill up.

I was in and out very quickly. Evidently the techs have done so many of these that they have gotten to be experts.

My mileage is 72,654

Jerry - you have reported it to NHTSA right?

Thanks for taking the time. We can be sure nothing will happen if we don't. There is at least some hope if we do.

Back