• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How Much!!!!

Not sure "afford" is the question. Value for the price of their GPS, to use the already paid for proprietary mount and "magic" wheel, is the crux.

I totally agree. I can afford anything. I don't like to be taken for a ride.

Years ago, Garmin made the Zumo 550 and Nuvi 550. Specs were virtually identical. The Zumo was obviously the "motorcycle" version and the Nuvi the lower class "car" only version. Both were waterpoof. Both had 8 hour battery life. I wouldn't be surprised if the innards were identical.

There was a huge price difference between them. I don't remember how much, but I don't think I'd be wrong to say the Zumo was three times the price of the Nuvi...and none of them were that cheap in those days. Some riders got smart and realized the only difference was the shape of the case and the price. They bought the Nuvi up in droves. Garmin got smart eventually and stopped production of the Nuvi. Since then, they've maintained a difference between their "car" GPSs and their "motorcycle" GPSs.

I mitigated part of the price of a new "motorcycle" GPS by purchasing a refurbished unit. Looks like new. Full warranty. And hundreds less than the new model. And I know they are still making a profit.

Chris

Others here know better than me but, IIRC, the Garmin Zumo 660LM and possibly the 665LM but as I say, I can't recall for certain.

I have also read the Zumo 660 will fit the BMW mount, and at $320 it's the best bang for the buck for a motorcycle GPS.

Years ago, Garmin made the Zumo 550 and Nuvi 550. Specs were virtually identical. The Zumo was obviously the "motorcycle" version and the Nuvi the lower class "car" only version. Both were waterpoof. Both had 8 hour battery life. I wouldn't be surprised if the innards were identical.

There was a huge price difference between them. I don't remember how much, but I don't think I'd be wrong to say the Zumo was three times the price of the Nuvi..

I bought a new Nuvi 550 and seems like it cost $220 or $225.

I have also read the Zumo 660 will fit the BMW mount, and at $320 it's the best bang for the buck for a motorcycle GPS.
I agree, refurbished units are the hot item if you're looking for a "cheap" motorcycle GPS. However, you can't really compare them.
The 660 - 665 use the same mount as the Nav V but the similarity stops there. The zumos use the older Garmin software version. It has none of the new features and can't accept the apps from third parties. The Nav V integrates and syncs with the bike's system.
That being said, they do what they should do, that is get you there. They also have lots of extra stuff included, like a car craddle and charger, different bike mounts, etc. With the Nav V you get the unit, a USB cable and that's about it. If you want the car craddle and cable, you need to puchase it separately.

What is the cheapest people have seen or gotten the Nav V?

Two dealers I recently bought bikes from said $680.00 plus tax....which would be a typical 15% discount most dealers would do if you did a recent bike purchase. Otherwise I've not seen them listed for less than MSRP - $800.

I've seen a few eBay/Kijiji units for around $500US. Suspect that would be the lower limit for most unit next year (or whenever it is) when the Nav-VI comes out.

But a new Zumo 660LM for $320 is a lot of unit for that kind of money, especially when you think that even in another 2-3 years it will likely still be worth $220~ so a net-cost of $100 is very attractive.

I've seen a few eBay/Kijiji units for around $500US. Suspect that would be the lower limit for most unit next year (or whenever it is) when the Nav-VI comes out.

But a new Zumo 660LM for $320 is a lot of unit for that kind of money, especially when you think that even in another 2-3 years it will likely still be worth $220~ so a net-cost of $100 is very attractive.

Seems to be many reports of that 660 being difficult to read in bright sun...not ranked high compared to other units.

The 660 and 665 were good in their day and they'll still you get you down the road, ...but they've been discontinued.

Chris

Seems to be many reports of that 660 being difficult to read in bright sun...not ranked high compared to other units.
That is also an issue with the Nav-V (don't know if it is to the same degree). For my poor vision it is a problem with every GPS I've ever tried unfortunately.

Decided the Nav V didn't represent it's dollar value ($800.00) and went with an on sale Zumo 660LM (brand new) for total of 283.00. Factory Direct had their usual price but an additional 10% off for two days. I was surprised, after reading some posts here, to find out the 660 fits perfectly into the GPS Prep bracket mount on my new '16 GS and locks in place. It powers up when bike is on/charges, but I do turn it off separately when turning ignition off. Yes, I can't use the wonder wheel, but for that penalty I have $517.00 left in my wallet while still being able to locate any destination, which is my primary goal. Yes, I do realize I won't know how many times I shifted during the last 1,000 miles but that info, and much more like it, the V provides will be lost to humanity forever. I will survive. This GPS seems to provide high value for the cost.

Last edited:
Great deal, definitely the best bang for the buck I'd say. Like you say, what you give up by not going to the Nav-V is more peripheral benefits vs direct navigational abilitys, functionality, etc., so very hard to rationalize spending an additional $517 for those perks. Congratulations, enjoy.

I can understand where you're coming from and I went through much of the same :scratch::scratch:scratch:

I'm planning on some long distance touring next spring, so I'm already trying to plan out how I'll do different things. I want a GPS. Okay...will a phone work for that? I thought so.

I also want to take some pictures and share them as I go along. I have a nice Canon SLR with multiple lenses that takes great pics. But it is overkill for this really. No one looks that closely at the pictures I take and I'm not publishing them for a magazine, but only for others to view online. Plus, the camera body and lenses take up a lot of room. I could buy another smaller camera at an additional cost...but I already have an excellent camera in my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. And I'd bring it along for other purposes too.

So I could use the smartphone for both a GPS and camera...but I'm a little nervous about letting an expensive smartphone hang off my handlebar without tethering it. The RAM mount I use has a rubber tether, but it takes several minutes to get on and off...and with it on, you're not taking any pictures. I can see skipping some photo opportunities because I just don't want to mess with getting the RAM mount tether off the smartphone.

The trips to me, are worth the extra expense of making sure I get where I want to go, and capturing those moments. I don't know if it is still true, but at one time you couldn't get the directions from a car GPS to a bluetooth headset in your helmet. You could make phone calls, but that was all. If you wanted the verbal directions, you were forced to get a motorcycle GPS.

Chris

Hey man, just getting back to this...

Here's a link to a great, very secure phone mount for your bike: http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount

It's less expensive than a PHONE... but still a somewhat pricey little geeky accessory that with my limited usage, is fail proof.

Cameras... I've always used digital cameras. My iPhone isn't worth much in terms of photo quality. I'm not selling any pix either but I want better quality than a phone pic. I've been using a Panasonic Lumix LX7 for a few years. Only 10mp but it has a hell of a lens, a decent sensor and a pretty great processor. Just bought a micro four thirds format Olympus, so my kit just got bigger. Already have 2 lenses... could use a third for more zoom capability. :dunno But of course that's all subjective.

I could use my phone for probably everything except navigation in inclement weather. That's the one place where a motorcycle specific GPS is gonna beat a phone every time. Near as I can tell. There are probably all manner of waterproof boxes to put your phone in for traveling.... but I'd guess overheating is going to be an issue there.

I have a mapping app called CoPilot. Stores the maps in the phone, so will always work, even with no signal. Guy I heard about it from was talking about converting compressed mapping files (GPX?) with waypoints etc within the app and using it exclusively. I'm not so advanced myself but I like the concept!

Cheers!

Great suggestion for a universal mount. I went with the RAM X-Grip awhile back. Cost for just the holder itself is $28. You can probably get the entire mounting pieces for less than $50, especially if you have other RAM parts from other installations.
http://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip

I ended up buying a refurbished Garmin 590LM for $519. FWIW, it is like new with a new warranty. Living in Seattle, I needed something I could leave out in the rain while riding.

For casual riding in good weather, a phone mount like you showed is a great suggestion. The TomTom app will give you mapping capability outside of cell tower range...and their Winding Roads function.

Chris

Back