• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How Much!!!!

motodan

I find it quite difficult to spend $800.00 on a Nav V or even the discounted $679.00 offered by the salesman. Value for dollar seems so out of wack. I've used a Nuvi 50 (believe I paid $100 for it) for a few years on the old bike, it worked fine. So this new bike is GPS ready, but that price....wow! How do you owners rationalize such expense? The "magic" wheel is nice, but reaching forward with my index figure seems just a effective and certainly more value added.

I find it quite difficult to spend $800.00 on a Nav V or even the discounted $679.00 offered by the salesman. Value for dollar seems so out of wack. I've used a Nuvi 50 (believe I paid $100 for it) for a few years on the old bike, it worked fine. So this new bike is GPS ready, but that price....wow! How do you owners rationalize such expense? The "magic" wheel is nice, but reaching forward with my index figure seems just a effective and certainly more value added.

IMHO.........the "Dash" looks really good without that cradle do-hickey

I finally broke down and ordered a refurbished (full warranty) Garmin 590LM. $519. Still outlandish for what you get, but the supply and demand dictate the price.

There were a couple reasons I opted for a "motorcycle" GPS.
  • Waypoints. Too many car GPS devices give you a Pt A to Pt B with a stop in between. In order to force the GPS to route me on a twisty road, I often will program in 10-15 waypoints. The motorcycle GPSs will do that...and they now will also offer a "winding roads" option.
  • Bluetooth. My old GPSs don't have BT. When you can't see the washed out screen because of the sun and can't hear the directions, it is worthless. I'm planning some long post-retirement rides in unfamiliar areas. There's a safety factor in it for me to not miss turns...or spend a lot of time trying to see the screen and hit someone or something.
  • The motorcycle GPSs have brighter screens and are easier to see in direct sunlight.
  • The motorcycle GPSs are also waterproof.
I've gotten by well enough with a car GPS in the past, and if they had BT, I'd probably stay with them. But my trip to the Coeur d'Alene Getaway pretty much convinced me that I needed to get something new. I'd tried using my smartphone as a GPS, and it does pretty well at it. The screen is bright. The TomTom app does an excellent job at routing and is cheap. But I also want to use it for my camera. And trying to get the tether on it, is a hassle I don't want to go through repeatedly on a trip. And at $700 for the phone, I'm not going without the tether. Stopping at a gas station and leaving it on the bike, isn't an option either.

Chris

I just took a look, appears the Nuvi 50 is still available. I don't think it does what the Nav does. Electronics and the advancements therein move fast nowadays. I think it would be rather rare for a vehicle manufacturer to not make their new vehicles comparable with the "latest and greatest" of the new electronics.

The Rand McNally "large scale" is a pretty good deal at under $20.00.

818VilaKirL.jpg

I'm still making route sheets like in my enduro days.

OM

I can't rationalize the expense of our bikes :)

I think that's because there is no rational reason behind the prices BMW charges for either their bikes, parts, or the cute accessories. As has often been stated, BMW feels they are a "premium" brand. Of course dependability of late, that's not so premium. Corporate BMW knows there are a whole lot of well-off people out there who have plenty of money to spend on toys. Their stuff is priced accordingly. Those of us who are not so rich just bite the bullet and hope against hope that our machines won't require too many repairs. As for perceived product value, who's selling the most cars in the world? BMW or Toyota?

Of course there is a rational reason.... pleasing shareholders, in other words money. It is the pursuit of profit that has led to things like the BMW motorcycle being available to the mob... (us'uns).

The quest for profits, happy shareholders and exorbitant bonuses for corperate officers has its darkside for sure, but without it we'd all be driving Ladas, Zils and Dneper bikes.

Fifteen year old Garmin 478s on eBay are selling for more than the latest motorcycle models. Progress isn't always. Sometimes in the $800 range buy-it-now. They sell quickly.

I buy used stuff like Nuvi 265s or Streetpilot 2720s; the former for my cars, the latter for our bikes. Typical cost? Less than $50, shipping included.

I don't get the maps with the newest subdivisions. I seldom go there anyway. New bypass roads confuse the GPS every now and then too. But I can read highway signs. If I get one ripped off (never happened yet) it would be a small loss.

Last edited:
We are very frugal people. My house is a metal building although very comfortable and very energy efficient. We don't live large and are very self sufficient folks. When and if it all hits the fan, we'll be fine. With that said, BMW motorcycles are our one indulgence that we have worked hard all our lives to enjoy, so if I want an $800.00 GPS for the bike, I'm going to have it, along with my BMW riding suit, Aerostitch for him, and anything else that makes our riding more safe & enjoyable. The GPS I have now (Zumo 660) is a refurbished one, but I still paid about $500.00 for it about five years ago. I usually don't have good luck with used electronics, but would consider a bargain if I found one. Motorcycles are an expensive hobby and I guess it depends on how much one enjoys it to justify the $$ spent.

Bikes are expensive, we buy lightly used. Helmets are expensive and do not last ,tires the same. Riding gear as well.All the gear and electronics that add safety and a more enjoyable ride add up.
Needing multiples of all the above to suit our indulgence has some folks thinking we are crazy...until we talk about their newest car habit, boats, fishing gear, hunting gear, golf clubs and memberships, and many other hobbies. They usually get it about then. Bikes are a big part of our routines and transportation .

We still are using vintage Zumo 550's, though the years and miles are taking their toll. At some point we will upgrade and accept the costs.

Then we still use those paper old school maps regularly as well to see big picture and eyeball the more interesting looking sqiggle gives me satisfaction that I don't need to totally depend on the fallible electronics that WILL eventually buzz out. Nothing like crossing a border and have one die with "the route" all loaded at a critical junction...fool me once.

How do you owners rationalize such expense?

Easy, I don't pi$$ away money on cigarettes and beer. And I don't want to be the richest man in the cemetery.

And the Zumo was just marginally cheaper.

The "magic" wheel is nice, but reaching forward with my index figure seems just a effective and certainly more value added.

I like being able to do everything without taking my hand off the handlebar. Its damn convenient.

How is your Nuvi 50 for waterproofness? I have the Nuvi 40LM for my car.

All good points, and well considered. The most rational thing about BMW motorcycles are the thoughtful people who ride them.

I purchased a new tomtom rider 200 bucks, only hitch is it requires a bluetooth headset, fortunately I have a Sena Smh10r. Works perfectly, inexpensive solution.

I find it quite difficult to spend $800.00 on a Nav V or even the discounted $679.00 offered by the salesman.... So this new bike is GPS ready, but that price....wow! How do you owners rationalize such expense?

This seems so contradictory to me... "new bike"? After spending God only knows how many thousands on the bike, what in the world is another couple hundred bucks? I mean, really.
:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch

I'm not an "eggs in one basket" type of guy but I am finding out that a modern GPS (or PHONE GPS app) can dial you into exact locations. This is where maps and most other stuff fails. The biggest benefit I can see with GPS vs Phone use is weather resistannce.

The biggest benefit I can see with GPS vs Phone use is weather resistannce.

I have tried running an iPhone 6S+ using WAZE, while using my Nav5 at the same time. There have been various places on this trip (presently in Sonoma, CA) where cell service didn't exist and then the iPhone stopped working. Of course, if it starts raining, the iPhone is safely stowed in a dry place.

Also, I have looked in the NavV manual, but it's silent on how to use the WonderWheel to enter search data, as an example. Could someone advise how to do this?

This seems so contradictory to me... "new bike"? After spending God only knows how many thousands on the bike, what in the world is another couple hundred bucks? I mean, really.
:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch

I'm not an "eggs in one basket" type of guy but I am finding out that a modern GPS (or PHONE GPS app) can dial you into exact locations. This is where maps and most other stuff fails. The biggest benefit I can see with GPS vs Phone use is weather resistannce.

I can understand where you're coming from and I went through much of the same :scratch::scratch:scratch:

I'm planning on some long distance touring next spring, so I'm already trying to plan out how I'll do different things. I want a GPS. Okay...will a phone work for that? I thought so.

I also want to take some pictures and share them as I go along. I have a nice Canon SLR with multiple lenses that takes great pics. But it is overkill for this really. No one looks that closely at the pictures I take and I'm not publishing them for a magazine, but only for others to view online. Plus, the camera body and lenses take up a lot of room. I could buy another smaller camera at an additional cost...but I already have an excellent camera in my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. And I'd bring it along for other purposes too.

So I could use the smartphone for both a GPS and camera...but I'm a little nervous about letting an expensive smartphone hang off my handlebar without tethering it. The RAM mount I use has a rubber tether, but it takes several minutes to get on and off...and with it on, you're not taking any pictures. I can see skipping some photo opportunities because I just don't want to mess with getting the RAM mount tether off the smartphone.

The trips to me, are worth the extra expense of making sure I get where I want to go, and capturing those moments. I don't know if it is still true, but at one time you couldn't get the directions from a car GPS to a bluetooth headset in your helmet. You could make phone calls, but that was all. If you wanted the verbal directions, you were forced to get a motorcycle GPS.

Chris

Also, I have looked in the NavV manual, but it's silent on how to use the WonderWheel to enter search data, as an example. Could someone advise how to do this?

You have an RT as I do, so we don't get all the functionality that GS folks do with the Nav V. I don't think even they can enter search data with the wheel though. Might be wrong.

Frankly, about the only things you can do are shown when you use the Menu button to get to the Nav page. That's about it.

I'm planning on some long distance touring next spring, so I'm already trying to plan out how I'll do different things. I want a GPS. Okay...will a phone work for that? I thought so.

I also want to take some pictures and share them as I go along. I have a nice Canon SLR with multiple lenses that takes great pics. But it is overkill for this really. No one looks that closely at the pictures I take and I'm not publishing them for a magazine, but only for others to view online. Plus, the camera body and lenses take up a lot of room.

Chris

Chris - I think the phone as GPS would work well, except for the limitations of occasional lack of cell service to supply the location data to the GPS chip, and the lack of waterproofing. For the latter issue, I have used an ALOKSAK which handles the rain, and also allows transmission of finger touches to the screen. Sometimes, however, it won't recognize gloves and requires a workaround. One solution is "GloveTacts" which I've purchased but haven't tried. See: http://glovetacts.com

I have a Nikon D7200 with an 18-200mm lens which I keep in my waterproof BMW tank bag. It has been through many a storm on my present trip, and never been wet. I like the big Nikon for composition, speed and adjustability and really like to have the huge JPG files it produces. That just me, however...

Back