• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How far have you ridden - without problems?

I'm on my 5th modern beemer since '87. Number 6 is the R69S I've owned for about a dozen years. I've not been stranded by any of the modern bikes, although there have been issue that were addressed by either warranty or the application of the appropriate amount of cash.

R80RT: the dreaded dry splines
R12GS: tranny seals replaced under warranty -- eventually
R12GS: crack on the rear wheel flange found when changing the brake rotor (the flange is cheaper than an OEM rotor!)

The only time I was semi stranded was about 3 miles from the house on the R69S when I bent some rods and valves due to over revving the bike when the tranny popped out of gear on an incline. I blame a bad shift, not the bike. It didn't help that I was squirming around in the saddle when it happened, causing a delay in shutting down the throttle (the /2 throttle does not return to the idle position when you let go!)

That's about 260,000 miles on BMWs. Unless the bike is in the process of being serviced (I'm sometimes slow) I'm ready to get on the bike and go. Ditto with my wife's car (which has also had a few problems covered under warranty, but never left us stranded).

I've put over 550k miles on BMWs. I've been stranded 4 times... that's about... 137,500 miles between strandings.

R80: diode board quit while on the way to a meeting. Does this really count as being stranded? I got to the meeting, and got a lift back to work. My wife made a detour from her commute to get me home. Meanwhile, the dealer picked up the bike and it was fixed the next day.

R1100RS: front u-joint on the driveshaft broke at about 157k, while touring in Pennsylvania. Called someone in the Anonymous who came with a trailer and picked me up. I didn't know it was the driveshaft at the time, though it was the tranny. I ended up renting a U-Haul truck and driving it home.

R1100RS: engine blew up on the autobahn at about 110 mph/6000 rpm with 180k miles on the bike. I had put the bike "out to pasture" at friend's place in Germany. We had been up to the big Veterama vintage bike flea market and were on the way back. His dad came out with a trailer, and then I found an RT motor with about 20k miles on it at Siebenrock, about an hour away. We took off the plastic and delivered the bike to them, got it back in a week. Admittedly, this cost me $2500 complete, but I decided it was worth it to me to have a bike in Europe. Now it has 205k on it.

R1150RS: classic final drive bearing failure at about 57k miles. Was headed up to the Spokane rally with same friend above, he riding my RS and me on my R90S. The bearing gave out coming in to Alturas, CA (extreme upper right hand corner of the state). This is the middle of nowhere. Again, I rented a U-Haul truck and drove both bikes to Ozzie's BMW in Chico, about 100 miles away. Was back on the road by noon the next day.

The lesson I have learned is that breaking down is annoying but certainly nothing really awful. Also, well maintained BMWs run a long time without mechanical problems.

The fear of breaking down shown by one poster above befuddles me. What does he do if his car gets a flat tire or overheats? Why would you chicken out on a planned tour?

Not too too many miles on my '07 RT, approaching 13 K. Had an EWS failure when I walked out of my dealership and tried to start her up, how lucky was that?

My '07 F8ST is approaching 7 K, absolutely no problems but heck it's hardly broken in.

I'd buy both bikes again tomorrow.

Only 2 years on my 08 RT and no cross country trips - not for lack of wanting to go, just time. No true bike issues of any type. A few with accessories, some caused by the bikes wiring design (computer controlled and multiplexed is a good way to save manufacturing costs and make maintenace easy if you know how but has caused at least as many problems in all kinds of vehicles as it has ever prevented).
I teach on tracks and have wrenched on stuff for fun, to save $, and to learn my machines for 47 years. Have zero hesitation about using my RT for a long trip if I get the chance. I am sensitive to machine behavior so will get a warning of most "immediate failure" mechanical items and unless its a "no parts-no go" deal, I can handle it unassisted. More to the point, I believe the RT is every bit as robust from a basic design viewpoint as any other motorcycle. It is actually a rather simple machine at its core.
Its only obvious drawback is a very sparse and often weak dealer network so little field support compared to Japanese and HD. This can be directly traced to BMWs failure to compete in most motorcycle market segments until very recently (more affordable dirt bikes and crotch rockets are needed but even that is not enough to gain major market share. It amazes me what per cent of stuff on the road is V Twins from various makers and BMW still has no way appeal to most of these riders).

Re cars- no one in my immediate family has ever been stranded by a car (nor have I ever been stranded by any motorcycle). Something way north of 1,000,000 miles, probably twice that or more so I'm not surprised by others claims. Last time we had even a brief interruption was in 1968 when a VW Beetle (by far the most poorly designed and constructed vehicle I have ever owned) broke a distributor 12V lead from vibration - took me about 5 minutes to rig a patch that was later replaced by a wire strong enough to hoist the little thing. Once had a Datsun Z car with a too small fuel filter that briefly limited top speed when dirty, solved by sticking in a full size American filter. The newest one in my fleet is an 02 Mercedes C320 with about 100K, the oldest a 92 Lexus SC300 heading for 300K (I hate buying new machines - I like to keep what I have in good shape.) I have/do owned/own some GM stuff that was/is total **** except for the driveline and even those have never left me stranded (no sympathy whatever for their current predicament- it is well and truly earned). Everything I've owned has had design errors, manufacturing quality issues for one or more parts, etc. This is inevitable and getting worse with short cycle product development and increased outsourcing- as always it is unwise to buy a new model before real world use shakes out the bugs that development misses or deliberately overlooks to meet a product launch date.

In what I've owned, I prefer Japanese cars to my German ones for ease of maintenance, better design quality and parts quality though my German vehicles have had zero assembly defects. For bikes, I'd call it a toss up based on my somewhat limited experiences with one BMW and prior succession of Japanese bikes.

Could have just as easily bought the Connie as an RT but it is too heavy, too large and too much of an ungainly old school brute for my tastes- was pretty much repulsion at first sight though I liked a Kaw I owned in the past. No such thing as too much power but balanced properties is more important to me. Plus the Connie has water cooling that is guaranteed to fry you in hot weather riding, at least at stops if nothing else.

2008 R1200RT, 22K miles. Daily rider - if it does run, I don't get to work. I can't think of a better machine to ride in Oregon's Wild Wet West :bikes.

125K miles on three BMW R-series bikes. I was only stranded once. My 1994 R1100RS lost a coil at 60K miles.

These bikes are, IMHO, no more or less reliable than other bikes. They do, however, get used more than most bikes on average.

I rarely see other bikes with 100K + miles on them, but BMWs with more than 100K miles are pretty common!

Jim :brow

Speaking of cars; in the last 30 years I've had about 15 company cars. I drove each one of them 30000-40000 miles a year. None of them were ever in a shop for anything other than oil/filter changes. They were completely reliable and never ever broke. These have not been expensive cars. They have been Escapes, Impalas, Intrepids, Century's, Taurus's, etc. I'll bet you few, if any of our motorcycles would have performed as well. It amazes me how we tolerate these motorcycles.

There really is no comparrison between cars and bikes. Apple and oranges. Cars are HEAVY and protected, bikes must be light and can't be protected from the elements. The loads on the small contact patches are HUGE in comparrison.

Jim :brow

PS Either you have been incredibly lucky, or...

Current '07 R1200R - 33k+ miles and no warranty claims, no break-downs, no problems except getting off it - my butt doesn't want to.

25K hard miles on a F650 GS. Replaced fork seals and head bearings.

40K miles on 91 K100RS. One breakdown - failed drive shaft (may be from dried lube). Replaced fork seals, front wheel bearings and TB rubber boots - which I consider maintenance.
:)

I have a GM Yukon a fleet of 5 Astro vans. The Yukon has a list a page long of repairs. The Astros have to be the poorest quality vehicles on the market.
:cry

F650GS They can have it.

I bought a new F650GS in 07 and after a rock bounced thru the radiator 4 months into my ownership I've had nothing but Over heating problems with it. It's been in and out of the shop ever since. In fact it's been in the shop over 3 of the last 4 months and is playing the part of door stop at my local BMW shop. BMW keeps doing a quick fix instead of tearing into the motor to find out what's wrong as it's cheaper for them to do so. After it went back to the shop 7 weeks ago I called BMW Customer Service and said the bike is a Lemon and they can either fix it right or have it back. Last week they finally sent out a Technician to work on it. He stayed 3 days and left. BMW said that they need to order some special tools and parts for the bike and will keep me informed about the progress. Warranty runs out January 2, 2010 BMW not willing to extend warranty for last 3 months of it sitting in the shop waiting for them to decide on what they were going to do. (Anybody else have over heating issues with their 650 and what did you do to fix it?)

On a high note I bought a R1200GS in July of 08 and love the hell out of that one. Other then having to replace 2 head light bulbs, no problems in over 13,000 miles. I would trust it to Maine and back, no problem.

I am on my 7th BMW and have 441,000 miles accumulated on them. I put a low of 10,000 to a high of 111,000 miles on each one. I have been only stranded twice; the first time was with my 99 R1100RT that had 58,000 miles on it; it just quit on me as I was going down the road but as Voni would say BMWs have manners and it quit on me 7 miles into a 30 mile commute and that was at the drive way of my wife's work; I parked my bike and used my wife's. When I returned after work the bike started and the Dealer couldn't find anything wrong so I traded it off. The second time was 2 years ago and my current bike (F800S) just quit as I was going down the road and had to have it towed and come to find out it was the battery; even as unmechanical as I am I was amazed it was something so simple that stranded me; I just had never heard of a battery quitting as you were moving. I have had 4 flat tires in that time with the last 3 being with my present bike that has a tire pressure monitor. I have been able to either repair the tire myself (once) or make it to a place to have it repaired (home twice). When we had Airheads we had charging problems but with disconnecting headlight we were able to make it to the Dealer so we were never stranded. We didn't have towing insurance until the last 3 years which did pay my 420 dollar towing bill. I can't imagine any bike more reliable than a BMW and I'm sure there are way more as a percentage of high mile BMWs on the road than any other make.

I've put just over 25,000 miles on my CLC since Jan 2008 with no problems. I bought the bike in Orlando, Fl after looking at Cycle Trader ads, my first BMW. It had only 932 miles on it and after seeing the bike in person I bought it on the spot. NO REGRETS
Ride Safe :usa :usa

I bought my 1200RT new, immediately noticed odd rapping / knocking sound, 600 mile check did not fix it, went to national rally, Johnson city, it made same noise the whole trip, was the worst idling around the rally. Test rode another one there which ran a hell of a lot better, without sound mine makes. Took it back to dealer, who re-programmed computer, something about computer wasn't handling the knock sensor inputs. Got it back, rode a one day local ride and it quit , leaving me stranded. Fuel pump controller module. Got it back again, just in time for winter. but noise has returned again like knock sensor / computer issue again. Have 3400 miles on it. EXTREMELY disappointed now. Nice to look at in my garage but I REALLY don't trust it to go anywhere on it now . I trust my 28 year old SilverWing more! and it only cost $1250, used, where the BMW cost way over $20,000 with accessories.

I have a theory that we mostly hear about the problems with our bikes on these forums, and those that have ridden for years without any issue whatsoever don't usually post to say so.

If there were no such thing as the internet, our bikes would be way more reliable.:whistle

They are built to go around the world. Ride it like you stole it.

I have over 170k on my R100 sidecar and it has never broke down, I have done one set of rings, a valve job, one timing chain, one clutch and completely wore out a transmission.

310 miles

I'm on my 20th BMW or so and about a hundred new motorcycle over all. I like BMW bikes, but they have their share of problems. Perhaps not any more than other makes, but when marketed as the BEST, yes they have way too many.

At 310 miles my most recent purchase had its fuel level sensor go south, but have 340 miles more since then and NOT a problem, unless the BMW battery tender is burning a whole in the bike as I type.

It is interesting how many people first comment XXXXXX miles and not a problem....., but later....except a failed sensor, broke do-dad and fried widget. It's as if all the problems associated with the bike fall into "its what I kinda expected, so no big deal".

Sad, but I do expect something to fail or break on the Beemer, same as I do on my Bimmer. I've seen so many failures of items at the dealership, that it seems to be a part of owning one. Accepting that fact and you are at the "XXXXX miles and not a problem" opening level so many of these replies reflect.

Not complaining, just a fact, but not a problem(s) that I haven't accepted.....some of these go back quite a few years....

Brake line routing
EWS (2005-2009)
wheel bearings
final drive and splines (forever?)
stalling (new GT)
fuel line route
fuel tank leak
fuel pumps
failed speedometers (80's)
center stand problems
wheel recall (70's)
software miscues (since there's been software)
neutral switches
Handle bar fractures (90's)
Brake assist (not broke, but way over engineered)
steering dampers
spurious signals in electrical systems (now)
transmission intermediate shaft
engine cooling problems
master cylinders
anti lock braking
suspension springs

and there are many more

Dumb Luck, I Guess

With 34+K on my '07RT, the "only" charges I have encountered have been for routine maintenance and farkling. I'll keep ridin!

Back