• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How far have you ridden - without problems?

barry5k

I have two bikes, a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic and a 2007 R1200RT. The Vulcan is bulletproof and I would trust it across country in a heartbeat, plus it is easy to deal with issues that may pop up. My BMW rides great also, but there seems to be so much that can go wrong, electrically and computer-wise.

I have a theory that we mostly hear about the problems with our bikes on these forums, and those that have ridden for years without any issue whatsoever don't usually post to say so.

So I am wondering - how long and how far have your ridden on your hexhead trouble free?? I of course I'm not talking about the flat tire, or running out of gas, or stuff that happens beyond our control. Can I trust my Beemer to go from San Francisco to Maine, back through Canada and down to the southern tip of Chile (ok, I'm exaggerating) - and of course taking care of the bike and proper maintenance?

Hey Barry, I am a bit like you.. I see all the comments about final drives etc and wonder how many of us do have trouble free running.

I for one have had no trouble, touch wood! I have 30k on the R12RT and hasn't missed a beat. An longest annual trip for the last two years is about 7k, Chicago to BC to Colorado and home.

Now I have probably jinxed myself! Damn.

My '07 R1200ST has given me almost 49k trouble free miles with only routine maintenance and the EWS and a brake line recalls.

However, it is waiting for plastic parts from Germany for repair work needed as a result of hitting a couple deer...

My '94 R1100RS oilhead -- other than the M95 transmission that was replaced under warranty -- didn't start needing major repairs until about 150k miles (transmission 110k, driveshaft 157k*, engine 180k*). * means that these are the only two times in 205k miles that the bike left me stranded.

I was another who was very concerned about the potential for trouble. My HD softail has over 38K trouble-free miles and I wouldn't hesitate to travel across the country on it. The complexity of the RT and some of the problems I read about had me concerned and only a test ride got me over my hesitation.

After taking delivery I started racking up miles and soon had several 500+ mile days under my belt. By the end of my first 12 months, I'd traveled 24,000 miles including 3 trips of over 3,000 miles each -- one of which included an IBA 1,100 mile run from Houston to Cincinnati in 20 hours. Almost one-half of these miles have been loaded riding two-up.

I have had no warranty issues or repairs. The bike has only needed routine maintenance since purchased. I'd ride it anywhere.

I think the running of this year's IBA rally answered lots of questions for people, too. The 1st and 2nd place finishers were riding late-model BMWs.

Long-term answer: 46,000+ miles on the R1200RT so far, and a host of problems and issues, all resolved at this time.

Examples: Seals that leaked, several recalls (temp gauge postion, brakes), speed sensor, fuel tank strip went bad, fork oil leaking, ESA stopped working, etc.

Short-term answer: Took a trip this past August that covered 14 states and over 4,200 miles in 10 days - no problems at all.

Also have completed 2 Iron Butt's with no issues.

Conclusion: You're right to recognize the BMW as a somewhat 'over-engineered' machine - the proverbial "Be careful what you wish for" truism for believing that every possible gadget and gizmo crammed into a motorcycle is a good thing.

But I still think its a well-built (not the same as 'well-engineered') bike, and I'm glad I own it.

That is a good question. I have often wondered about that myself. I have only have about7,500 miles on my 2008 RT. I had trips planned but I chickened out at the last minute as I was fearful of problems with the RT. I do not want to get stuck somewhere with a final drive out or a EWS failure. I really like the bike and it is everything that I wanted as it is fully loaded plus I added a couple thousand in farkles. I have been thinking about selling it for the past few weeks and maybe getting a 2010 Kawasaki C14. I know it really sounds stupid but I am just scared to take the RT for a long trip. I know I would miss my cruise control and radio though as the RT is the only sport touring bike with cruise control and the availability of a radio.

I own an '83RT and an '07RT, both bought new and both are solid bikes. The '83 once left me stranded with an electrical problem three miles from home, it was easily fixed. I have ridden it many miles and so did not consider reliabilty to be an issue when buying the '07. It has 45K on it, no problems at all, have done three seperate long tours to California, Alaska and Ottawa. Do my own servicing and apart from the seat, absolutely love this bike and will ride it anywhere.

If you have seen the series "Long Way Down"(highly recommend) the BMW GS models they took from the UK to the tip of Africa were chosen due to the roads they would encounter and the overall durability of the BMW machines.
There are thousands of members in this club and I believe for the most part we are very happy with our Beemers.

I trust the bike as much as much as I'd trust my car for the same distance. I have about 26k on my '05 and it's been great. I had a FD seal start weeping last summer but it didn't leave me stranded. I had a fuel line issue when it was new but that didn't leave me stranded either. In the end it's a mechanical beast that was built by humans. I expect to ride this bike for many, many more years.

I have more than 26K on my '07 RT with no significant problems. I did have a leaking fork that ultimately had to be totally replaced, but I was not stranded. I have taken a few 3K+ trips and was not concerned.

Round trips from San Antonio:
Los Angeles, CA (1)
Hanford, Ca (1)
Denver, CO (1)
Branson, MO (1)

Only problem I've had was I lost a Motolight on the trip to Denver requiring replacement of both lights (expensive). Up to 47,548 miles on the RT now.

1992 K1100LT ..... I tinker with something about every 12- 15,000 miles. I call a steering head bearing tinkering but that only took me one week-end and cost less than $50. Spline lube: tube of paste and a few hours. uh.... oh yeah, brake pads about 20,000 miles ago. That's it in the last 5-6 years. Put about 40,000 miles in that time...... And, that's riding two up with Uni-Go and not really pampering it. Good bike that one! - Bob

Last edited:
These things are way less complicated than our cars, and we don't give a second thought to travelling long distances in them.

Speaking of cars; in the last 30 years I've had about 15 company cars. I drove each one of them 30000-40000 miles a year. None of them were ever in a shop for anything other than oil/filter changes. They were completely reliable and never ever broke. These have not been expensive cars. They have been Escapes, Impalas, Intrepids, Century's, Taurus's, etc. I'll bet you few, if any of our motorcycles would have performed as well. It amazes me how we tolerate these motorcycles.

Speaking of cars; in the last 30 years I've had about 15 company cars. I drove each one of them 30000-40000 miles a year. None of them were ever in a shop for anything other than oil/filter changes. They were completely reliable and never ever broke. These have not been expensive cars. They have been Escapes, Impalas, Intrepids, Century's, Taurus's, etc. I'll bet you few, if any of our motorcycles would have performed as well. It amazes me how we tolerate these motorcycles.

So you're saying you driven between 900,000 and 1,200,000 miles in cars and have had no problems at all with any of your vehicles.

Rrrrrrright...

Well, in 1999 I rode from Kansas to California, then rode the Iron Butt Rally, then returned home with the only "problem" a burned out headlight bulb. In 2003 I rode from Kansas to Montana, then rode the Iron Butt Rally, then returned home with no issues whatsoever. Each of those trips totaled a bit over 13,000 miles. That was on my K75T. The bike was well prepared.

I have not had quite as good luck on my summer touring trips, but overall they have been fairly trouble free with my R1150R.

'01 r1150gs

Had my first breakdown this summer, at around 90,000 mi. Small hiccup (final drive bearing), ADAC (Europe) towed, rental car, couple days later back at it. I have complete faith in my ride - but do have a back up plan!

Back