• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How does my '18 RT know it's night time?

DSXMachina

While making some tweaks to my EZCan today I noticed that one of the settings allowing Aux Light modulation would cease at dark. EZCan says it will switch off modulation of my auxiliary lights on its own with no input from me. I'm happy with that, but it makes me wonder, How does EZCan know when it's dark?

I don’t know if this applies or not. On the F800GS, from what I noticed, it appeared that the “night or darkness mode” was triggered off a sensor in the dash.
If this is the case with the RT, it seems easy enough for EZ Can to interface with the lights.
Testing the sensor, if you want, should be easy enough if you can be be in a dark place the dash should be illuminated. Then- hold a flashlight on the dash for maybe 30 seconds and then turn the flashlight off. If the dash is dark, it will probably become lighted in around 20 seconds.
If I can remember, I will test the F800GS tomorrow.
OM

Search this page for "Modulation":

https://www.hexezcan.com/software/

Says "...The vehicle’s ambient light sensor is used to detect day/night." Otherwise, it uses the vehicle's clock.
Yes, I had seen that guidance. What I wondered about was how the bike detected the light level? Now the thing I also wonder about is WHY the bike needs to know how dark it is? And now something else I wonder about, If the bike uses the clock, is DST and location factored in? In early December it is dark at 3:45 here, and in late June it is dark at 9.

I don’t know if this applies or not. On the F800GS, from what I noticed, it appeared that the “night or darkness mode” was triggered off a sensor in the dash.
If this is the case with the RT, it seems easy enough for EZ Can to interface with the lights.
Testing the sensor, if you want, should be easy enough if you can be be in a dark place the dash should be illuminated. Then- hold a flashlight on the dash for maybe 30 seconds and then turn the flashlight off. If the dash is dark, it will probably become lighted in around 20 seconds.
OM
Thanks Omega, I'd run right out and experiment, but I'll await your report.

OM

Thanks Omega, I'd run right out and experiment, but I'll await your report.

Thanks for the reminder. As I figured, there is a photovoltaic sensor in the dash. I made a pointer out of painters tape. The picture is kinda dark but the sensor is a small, translucent oval and controls when the “dash” lights turn on.
03C16A82-5774-46A6-B171-4FD95C1ABB6F.jpg

Hope that helps you.

OM

Thanks for the reminder. As I figured, there is a photovoltaic sensor in the dash. I made a pointer out of painters tape. The picture is kinda dark but the sensor is a small, translucent oval and controls when the “dash” lights turn on.
Hope that helps you.

OM
I went looking on my tach and didn't see anything similar. However, after peering into every nook and cranny I think I found it. On my dashboard it is on the display screen about an inch down and to the left of the blue high beam icon. It appears to be a photovoltaic cell about 3/16" diameter. I ruled out it being an led by activating every other light by various means. It did not illuminate.
Now all I want to know is what function does it have on a stock bike? What does it control or how does the powertrain computer use the information? Are you saying that the intensity of the stock lights is varied? Or the dashboard brightness?

I’m pretty sure it (on the F800GS) just illuminates the dash. I would see the dash light up when I went through dark tunnels or when I entered the garage.
Easy enough for you to find out if yours does more just be in the dark and use a flashlight to activate the sensor.
Again, that EZ Can could be able to “see” this sensor and make forward lighting adjustments automatically.
OM

It will dim the BMW navigator, automatically. If you have Clearwater lights (maybe others?) installed with the CANopener, then it will also dim those lights to a programmable setting.

Back