• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help choosing Napoleon mirrors for R100S

JohnnyMoto68

Howdy - I ordered a pair of Napoleon Bar Ends for my '77 R100S. I ordered em from Bobs. They were delayed - apparently the folks there have switched vendors and are getting the mirrors from a new source.

The name on the mirror is Tanex (made in Japan). It's a model AP-104 and there's also the name Baren up top on the packaging. Most of the wording on the package is in Japanese. Yikes! I shoulda known...

Unfortunately the mirrors don't fit the bike. My clutch lever won't clear the stem on the one side. I tried a spacer/washer bit but no luck. I'm not impressed with the mounting system in general - which is a compression setup that expands a rubber sleeve on the inside of the bar. It's not very secure. Mucks with the throttle too. I can't find a sweet spot that allows the throttle to turn freely and secures the mirror solidly. It's either snugged up tight or dangling off the end. Blah!

Trying to mount them in the existing mirror holes fails too - the bolts aren't long enough. Yeah, I could buy new bolts but I want em in the bar ends (and they should just work!). So returning to Bobs with a letter explaining the problems, hopefully they'll sort it out and get different mirrors stocked. In the mean time, I want to move ahead with new mirrors.

OK, so in the mean time - can someone please reply with a name brand of mirror and/or a link that would work on my R100 S or vintage Airheads in general? I did a little web searching and came up with several options - but I'd really appreciate it if anyone has first hand knowledge of what works, and what doesn't.

Many thanks!

SURPRISE!!! Napolean and Baren sound really European but they are wonderfully Japanese!
The clutch side is pretty easy, you just cut off the end of the grip or preferably punch the end out and install the mirror. I can't understand how you are getting the clutch lever to hit (???)
The throttle side has to have the grip trimmed so that it does not touch the mirror mount or, as I am about to experiment with, I am going to try putting a nylon washer, very thin, between the two.
The mounting system seems to be kinda flakey but after you get everything done to satisfaction you will discover that these are the most stable, least vibrating mirrors that you will have ever seen. Torque the rubber plug down nice but leave the sprung mirror position screw loose enough so that it can be pushed out of position if knocked.

Attachments

• 2008-09-01 003.jpg
    2008-09-01 003.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 132
I'll second kstoo. I've put the Napoleans on my R100, a Monster 900S and they are currently on my R90S, Hawk and Speed Triple. They need a bit of fiddling t get them right on both sides, but once it's done they fit well and work better than any other mirrors around.

What kind of grips are those kstoo????

I'd have to ask Glen at Thoroughbred. They are like a modern day version of Gran Tourismo grips and I think that they are the best! I dont remember who makes 'em, I just pull them off Glen's accessories wall.

I think that these are the ones: Galindo Grand Touring grips

Last edited:
Here's an alternative: Napoleon type mirror that goes into the screw thread mounts like the standard BMW mirrors:

http://www.british-customs.com/napoleon-screw-in-mirror-triumph-motorcycles-pr-1714.html

Like the posters above, I am very happy with my Napoleons, vibration-free and excellent once installed............

Back