• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Purchase

Stebe
I had the opposite happen, I followed the downloaded pairing guide and it worked correctly after a couple tries, maybe it was luck of the Irish for me
My C3 helmet was a large and always felt overly tight, tried on a C4 in XL and never looked back, sizing for most consumer goods today is all over the place, if at all possible I try it on before buying. If you live anywhere near one of the motorcycle shows buy all means go and try on any gear your interested in

Jim

I just bought a Schuberth C-4 and Sena set up

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro with the integrated Sena intercom. My helmet fits as advertised in my size L. The Sena system is frustrating. I love the way that the Sena is integrated so that I don't have a module hanging off the side, as it did with the Sena SM10. All my friends have upgraded to the Sena 20-series or newer -- and the SC10U for the Schuberth helmet is something of a hybrid. That is, it has some features of the 20-series, but not all. I found it essentially unusable without an RC4 remote control.

So the good news is that the Schuberth-integrated Sena has great battery life, and has good audio with low wind noise, and has a good microphone. The bad news is that Schuberth manages the software upgrades and you can't use the Sena firmware. Schuberth firmware is still on v1.1.1, while Sena has been upgraded many times. Frustrating.

Pairing is reliable, if you learn the process. There are only two buttons on the helmet. With the helmet on, you need to press one of the buttons for a long time, waiting through some early beeps, until it finally beeps again and talks to you: "configuration menu." At that point, having released the button you were holding, you need to press the + button repeatedly, listening to the voice after each press. It will tell you what mode is activated after each press. Pairing intercoms is way down the list, maybe 15 presses. Select intercom pairing, and then get your other headset in pairing mode too, and they will pair.

Later when you want to use the intercom, it is really essential that you have the remote control. You need to press a button on the remote, with a code: one press for rider 1, 2 presses for rider 2, etc. A real PITA, but it works.

One other point besides saving a few shekels and customer service is that you really want to support your local guy because if you and everyone else buys everything online and stops supporting him he might go out of business. When that happens what are you going to do an hour before you’re hitting the road for your two week vacation and you discover you need a fix for something ASAP?

I was introduced to this first from my local ski shop, then my bicycle shop and now my motorcycle shop. Not to mention I will not buy a helmet sight unseen without trying on, but I will order a new motorcycle. :)

Later when you want to use the intercom, it is really essential that you have the remote control. You need to press a button on the remote, with a code: one press for rider 1, 2 presses for rider 2, etc. A real PITA, but it works.

We have the Schuberth C4 and SC1 Advanced intercom. We also have the RC4 remote which we don't use because the buttons are difficult to feel with gloves.
For me it's much easier to feel the buttons on the SC1.

Stebe,

I recently purchased a C3 Pro and when I went for my first ride I developed a severe headache and pressure all around my head within 20 miles. In the past I have consistently worn an XL in various brands. I supposedly have the same head shape that the C3 is spec’d as. I even measured my head circumference and followed the C3 sizing chart. As best I can tell the helmet is a half size too small. After checking online others said the same thing. It was a great disappointment. As I sat there with the helmet in my lap I began to see small fit and finish things that should have never been there on an expensive helmet. The more I looked the less Brand impressed I became. I returned the helmet, never to buy that brand again. The Shoei Neo II will be the next try. Have had Shoei in the past with no fit issues.

Shoei Helmet

Just to give a little feedback, I recently purchased a Neotech II, had to buy one size smaller. I learned this by speaking with my local BMW dealer A&S out of Roseville, CA. I went from a 6+ year old Neotech in which I wore a large in that helmet. I am going to be putting my new helmet to use this week.

Nice thing is most places will price match what you find online, always take that into consideration.

I originally attempted to go with an E1, but large was too small(tight front and back) and XL was too large(could turn it on my head) , per the Schuberth dealer that was at cycle gear for a Motobash I am considered a long oval as well.

One other point besides saving a few shekels and customer service is that you really want to support your local guy because if you and everyone else buys everything online and stops supporting him he might go out of business. When that happens what are you going to do an hour before you’re hitting the road for your two week vacation and you discover you need a fix for something ASAP?

I was introduced to this first from my local ski shop, then my bicycle shop and now my motorcycle shop. Not to mention I will not buy a helmet sight unseen without trying on, but I will order a new motorcycle. :)
I'm with you on supporting your local shop.

Note to shop owners, if you have a good helmet fitter in your staff, pay him or her well, they deserve it.
Good boot fitters in ski shops can not only fit you with comfortable boots, they can fix issues later on. I would expect a good helmet fitter to be able to do the same for those expensive lids. Unfortunately, with the advent of the net, experienced staff have all but disappeared. They're now just good sales people. They'll sell you something that is OK when they could be selling you a great fit and provide good service later on. And they'll move on to sell something else if the pay is better.

Just for clarity, I did support the "local" shop, 150 miles away. Good thing, an amicable solution was reached. The rest of the story is in the helmet thread in the "Gear" column.

Back