• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

scott901

My first Arai helmet got severely gouged and scratched as I bounced down the road one day. ZERO doubt that helmet saved my life. Went through extensive mental wrangling before making decision to ride again. We'll leave my wife's feelings about that decision out of this post. There were no reservations replacement helmet was going to be Arai. Current one has a few years on it, so I am actively investigating purchase of Arai Corsair X. It appears most everywhere in USA has almost exact same price on them. No interest in an older helmet that sat on shelf for three years to save a few bucks. I hoped MOA / discounts might have something for helmet discounts. No luck there.

Does anyone have information on discounts on NEW Arai helmet through an authorized distributor?

Thank You for any advice offered.

Ride safe - The alternative hurts bad.

Welcome to the forum!
Nice that you made it through the crash. I can’t help much in your selection but can suggest you contact Arai directly and provide them with the testimonial regarding your experience with their product. Along with the testimonial you could inquire on how to find a new helmet. They may be interested in receiving your old helmet back for analysis.
Good luck and ride safe.
Gary

Price of helmet

Minor hi-jack different helmet, concerned wife. I had always had inexpensive helmets but I got to the point where I wanted something better, after looking on line reading reviews I was at my local BMW dealer getting something and decided to try on a Schuberth helmet it was ok but not quite perfect, I took it off told the lovely salesperson the same and she said if the Schuberth is not perfect try the Shoei Neotec they had my size in the hi-viz black combo which and I really liked the way it looked I tried the helmet on and it was heaven, perfect in every way, fit, comfort and I liked the look than I looked at the price yikes, special paint job more yikes cried a bit inside put the helmet back and went on my way. A few weeks later at a open house at the same dealer my wife with she asked me if I needed anything I said I was looking for a better helmet, lovely wife asked if they had one I showed her the neotec she asked if it was a good one, I said one of the best but it’s to expensive her reply what is your head worth dumb ass and purchased it for me.
Long story short if the Aria is perfect for you go to your local dealer ask yourself what’s your head worth and buy the helmet you will be happy with no regrets every time you ride.

Minor hi-jack different helmet, concerned wife. I had always had inexpensive helmets but I got to the point where I wanted something better, after looking on line reading reviews I was at my local BMW dealer getting something and decided to try on a Schuberth helmet it was ok but not quite perfect, I took it off told the lovely salesperson the same and she said if the Schuberth is not perfect try the Shoei Neotec they had my size in the hi-viz black combo which and I really liked the way it looked I tried the helmet on and it was heaven, perfect in every way, fit, comfort and I liked the look than I looked at the price yikes, special paint job more yikes cried a bit inside put the helmet back and went on my way. A few weeks later at a open house at the same dealer my wife with she asked me if I needed anything I said I was looking for a better helmet, lovely wife asked if they had one I showed her the neotec she asked if it was a good one, I said one of the best but it’s to expensive her reply what is your head worth dumb ass and purchased it for me.
Long story short if the Aria is perfect for you go to your local dealer ask yourself what’s your head worth and buy the helmet you will be happy with no regrets every time you ride.

Does she have a sister? :laugh
OM

Helmet and Moto Gear pricing structure

Regarding helmet pricing, and in fact moto gear in general, there seems to be a minimum pricing structure in place. That’s why you’ll often find first run kit at the exact same price from many different retailers. This may be a requirement of the manufacturer or distributor, I’m not sure. I’ve also seen where you can’t view the price until you put an item in your cart. Something about a minimum advertised price comes to mind. My wife says it all fixed/ price collusion…and she’s a genius about most things. I don’t argue with her much any more. Bottom line, at a certain point, when items are not as current, you can get a deal, but will the helmet be fresh enough? That’s the question. YMMV.

.... her reply what is your head worth dumb ass and purchased it for me. Long story short if the Aria is perfect for you go to your local dealer ask yourself what’s your head worth and buy the helmet you will be happy with no regrets every time you ride.

I've always figured the cost of good gear cheap insurance. Just think of the costs otherwise.

Wouldn't it WONDERFULL if MOA and perhaps Revzilla and / or Twisted Throttle, etc established a relationship where MOA members could get a discount on gear. HINT. HINT

I buy my Arai helmets from The Service Pavilion (www.theservicepavilion.com), a authorized Arai dealer. Their prices are normally a little less then RevZilla, on current models.
They also will custom fit the pads in the helmet for your head size and shape at no additional charge.

Bought my Arai Quantum X brand new on Poshmark for $200. Came with everything including a tinted visor and pin lock. I just bought a new in box Shoei GT-Air for $200 also on Poshmark. Fantastic helmets

That's cheap for an Arai, did you check the manufacture date? I just tried one on recently and Arai fits my head.

Wouldn't it WONDERFULL if MOA and perhaps Revzilla and / or Twisted Throttle, etc established a relationship where MOA members could get a discount on gear. HINT. HINT

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the MOA had a mobile app where you could record your rides and riding "achievements" to score points that you could cash in when buying at any one of the many, many places you could buy moto products? :evil

Ian

That's cheap for an Arai, did you check the manufacture date? I just tried one on recently and Arai fits my head.

Both the build date and serial #s on both helmets check out as legitimate. Keep your eye on Poshmark. People put amazing deals on there.

Update - Dec 2022

Well ......... I bought myself a Christmas present. Yep. That Arai Corsair X, RSW, green I've been dreaming about.

Dennis Kirk put the helmet on clearance at 10% off. Revzilla price matched and gave Zilla bucks based on purchase price. Obtained helmet at almost 20% off original price including Zilla bucks for next tire purchase.

This thing is BEAUTIFUL. Artwork and rest of workmanship is flawless to my eye. Feature content is very high with zero doubt about safety reputation. My now retired Arai Vector was size XL. Wife and I both measured head size repeated times. Always 59 CM which led to buying a size L. It is tight getting on. Getting off was more of a challenge. I'll have to get use to that. Scarry to know Vector was NOT correct size.

I learned where to read Arai date of manufacturer it is etched into one of the D rings. The Vector was past replacement time. Rapid turnover of Corsairs contributed to verified new production date.

SH / end

Last edited:
Regarding helmet pricing, and in fact moto gear in general, there seems to be a minimum pricing structure in place. That’s why you’ll often find first run kit at the exact same price from many different retailers. This may be a requirement of the manufacturer or distributor, I’m not sure. I’ve also seen where you can’t view the price until you put an item in your cart. Something about a minimum advertised price comes to mind. My wife says it all fixed/ price collusion…and she’s a genius about most things. I don’t argue with her much any more. Bottom line, at a certain point, when items are not as current, you can get a deal, but will the helmet be fresh enough? That’s the question. YMMV.

Used to be called "Price Fixing" and it is. they squeak around it by adding "advertised" to the mix. On SOME items, SOME retailers will reveal a lower price when you add the item to your cart. Consider a Revzilla type retailer that gives 5% "credit for more stuff" in conjunction with a CC that offers 2% cash back...then tell yourself you got a deal.

You can buy a DOT sticker on fleabay, and as the DOT standard is about 100 years behind the times anyway, it shouldn't matter specially if the new lid conforms to the latest Euro specs.... YMMV

You can buy a DOT sticker on fleabay, and as the DOT standard is about 100 years behind the times anyway, it shouldn't matter specially if the new lid conforms to the latest Euro specs.... YMMV

Exactly, I recently bought a Nolan Modular helmet from Europe (Chromeburner), with ECE approval rather than DOT. Not losing any sleep over that, as Im sure ECE is a tough enough standard. Now back to Arai helmets…

Arai Sizing

Best thing I ever did while at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show was stop at their booth. Arai had a technician there who helped me understand their selection and sizing. He even measured my head and put me into a XL, how can I fit into that? I wear a 7 5/8 hat.
Also their helmets have different head shapes. That is what made the difference for me, I was looking at wrong head shapes. Since then I have had 3 helmets and can go multiple hours when crunching miles. No hot spots for me, good luck!

Now riding 2016 1200 GSA WC

Back