• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello to all from newbie in Maryland

R

rnolletti

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first BMW, a 1980 R100RT. I've ridden for the past thirty years on Japanese bikes and I'm looking forward to riding this classic. I got my first up close look at these bikes in college when some of you visited the old time hardware store I worked at in Wooster,Ohio. It was the year (early 80s) your rally was held in Shreve,Ohio. I knew then that someday I would be riding a BMW. It turns out that someday was a bit later than planned. So here I am!

My new (classic) R100 joins my other ride a Suzuki Volusia. The Volusia is a wonderful bike but it's typical cruiser seating position (foot pegs forward) make it less than ideal for commuting 50 miles to Washington DC. and slow speed manuvering on city streets. Talk about combat riding! The upright seating position of the RT should fit the bill nicely after I lower the bike. My short inseam of 30" doesn't quite fit the 33" seat height.

Any advice or tips from you veteran riders of airheads would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to being a fellow BMW rider.

Ralph Nolletti
Hughesville, Maryland

Welcome to the assylum and congrats on the RT!

Have you checked out the local DC-area club bmwbmw.org as well?

Shreve, Ohio! I attended that rally!!

Things to get to know:

- setting valve clearances and monitoring them for rapid closure which would indicate a need to address the top end

- carb synchronization procedures

- measure voltage at the battery with engine running at around 3K RPM...should be 13.5v or better. The charging system can be a point of failure, but can be diagnosed and fixed.

- always disconnect the battery when removing or replacing the front engine cover; protects from accidental shorting of the diode board...see previous comment.

Look for Airheads Tech Days in your local area...a good chance to meet other people and get tips on performing general maintenance. Join the local club as well.

Enjoy!!

I just purchased my first BMW, a 1980 R100RT. I've ridden for the past thirty years on Japanese bikes and I'm looking forward to riding this classic. I got my first up close look at these bikes in college when some of you visited the old time hardware store I worked at in Wooster,Ohio. It was the year (early 80s) your rally was held in Shreve,Ohio. I knew then that someday I would be riding a BMW. It turns out that someday was a bit later than planned. So here I am!

I think we won over more folks at the Shreve Rally, than any other National that I have attended (14). They were hiding inside their houses, scared to death of the "bikers" that were rolling into town on Wednesday. They actually came out of their houses to look and see the bikes on Thursday, and were actually talking to us on Friday and some visited the rally site on Saturday! When I left town on Sunday, some locals thanked me for coming to their town and somebody bought my gas at the convenience store! I noticed later that the fairgrounds were hosting AMA events and Gold Wing rallies afterwards--I think they had overcome their fears of us "bikers":eat

Ralph, I was still running my '73 R75/5 LWB at Shreve, it was my first Beemer and it started me long ago on a great adventure on the road with MOA:thumb. Welcome to the family and may you have many happy sMILES :bolt (Sorry Voni, I just had to steal it for this occasion!:whistle )

Welcome. I have the same bike, same year. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.

You may find the height of your new machine more tolerable after a little while. I have a similar inseam and have gotten used to it. I ride with others that have less inseam than me and still ride stock bikes. No attempt here to tell you what to do, just sharing my experiences. There are several things you can do to to get closer to the ground. Alterations to the seat itself can give you as much as 1-1/2 inches.
It may be worthwhile to contact a buttbuffer rep if there is one in your area, http://www.buttbuffer.com/ since they work with seat height adjustments. If you search this forum or the web, you will find the topic discussed in many places.

Hook up with local airheads if you can. It is very valuable and entertaining.

I think we won over more folks at the Shreve Rally, than any other National that I have attended (14). They were hiding inside their houses, scared to death of the "bikers" that were rolling into town on Wednesday.
Actually, as a native of those Ohio hills, I can assure you that those folks weren't scared so much as just plain mystified and amazed. I was tooling around the area that weekend (in the days before I rode) and even my wife remembers it. The only time the hills are that inundated with so many strange critters at once is when the 17-year locusts come out and you can't hardly hear yourself think for all the noise they make. But we just run over 'em and they crunch under the tires. Make a helluva mess on your windshield if you go over 40, too. You were quieter and neater, but no less fascinating by your sheer numbers. :laugh

Welcome Ralph, glad to have you here. Hope to see some pics of your bike and a ride report or two to go along with the photos.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Airhead ownership!

Come on down to Seneca Rocks WV this weekend June 13-15 for the Festival of Fives And WV Seneca Rocks UN-Rally, its small and friendly, no fees and there will a number of airhead folks there that can give you lots of advise on your new purchase and how to do some of the regular maintenance items.

Send me a PM for more info, come for the day, its an easy ride from MD or come for the weekend and camp or stay at the local motel, you might even win a door prize!

RM

Welcome to the club. I don't have an airhead, but when I lowered my K by 1/2" it became much more difficult to put on the centre stand. As sumran said, try other alternatives before lowering the bike if you like using the centre stand. Once again, welcome aboard!

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcomes. I've found the place where I should be. I'll be picking your brains shortly.

Ralph Nolletti

Ditto on riding it a while before lowering it. Airheads seem low to me and my inseam is 30 inches. Change the seat first.

Don't come off throttle when leaned over in a curve.

Instead, use the slow in, fast out approach, that is be accelerating through a curve or at minimum hold steady speed.

If you let off in a curve, driveshaft effect will lower rear of bike and you'll scrape something.

BMWs are about riding, not maintaining.

I used to live in Maryland from 82-2006 when I graduated from UMDCP and moved to arizona. I dont miss the humidity one bit! Riding those 50 miles into DC must be rough with all that traffic. Welcome.

Back