• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Iowa!

hammbone

Hello. I just signed up for the BMW MOA last week.

After a 10 year hiatus from motorcycles, I picked up a my first BMW in March of 2022. It's a 2013 R1200RT. I've been dreaming of buying a BMW motorcycle for a long time. The first one I fell in love with was the R1100R. Then it became an 1150, then a 1200, then a 1250. When I finally got around to buying one last year, I was older enough I decided I would really appreciate some weather protection, so I sprung for the RT. I am SO glad I did!

My kids are still at home and very much involved with swimming and Scouts, which means I myself am very much involved with swimming and Scouts. Therefore, my motorcycling mostly consists of commuting to/from work, which is about 28mi round trip each day. I wish I could ride more.

I'm excited to be here and looking forward to meeting as many people as I can, weather it be virtual or otherwise.

Thanks!
Scott

Welcome to the BMW MOA. Where in Iowa are you located? There are a few Iowa folks on this Forum.

Welcome to the MOA forum Scott, after so many years of hoping to ride a BMW!

Check out this club’s list of local Chartered Clubs for potential BMW connections:
https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/charteredclubs

It sounds like you’re a younger BMW rider if you’re commuting to work and maybe afternoon sports. :thumb Likely, many of us on the forum once commuted to work on our Beemers. I rode to work at RAF Bentwaters when I shipped my R90S over to Suffolk, England in the late 70s. ;)

So welcome to the MOA; we’re glad you’ve arrived! Enjoy your used Beemer safely this summer - there are way too many distracted drivers out there! Hope you’ll enjoy reading your monthly copies of the Owners’ News.

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 F650GS-twin - '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Iowa Sights & Attractions

Greetings from Arizona!

My wife and I will be driving to Iowa in July so she can fulfill a bucket-list bicycle ride: RAGBRAI (ride across the state; 500 miles in 7 days).

She's an avid bicyclist whereas I only prefer bikes with a motor.

While she's riding (and camping along the way), I plan on exploring the great state, including John Wayne's birthplace, the motorcycle museum in Anamosa, Field of Dreams movie filming location, and the Amana Colonies.

Do Iowa BMW rides recommend a visit to one of the BMW Motorcycle dealerships? If so, which one is your favorite?

Any other places that I should see?

Thanks,

Bob in Peoria, AZ

Greetings from Arizona!

My wife and I will be driving to Iowa in July so she can fulfill a bucket-list bicycle ride: RAGBRAI (ride across the state; 500 miles in 7 days).

She's an avid bicyclist whereas I only prefer bikes with a motor.

While she's riding (and camping along the way), I plan on exploring the great state, including John Wayne's birthplace, the motorcycle museum in Anamosa, Field of Dreams movie filming location, and the Amana Colonies.

Do Iowa BMW rides recommend a visit to one of the BMW Motorcycle dealerships? If so, which one is your favorite?

Any other places that I should see?

Thanks,

Bob in Peoria, AZ
Bob,

It sounds like a good time. I'll be in West Virginia at the Scouts BSA National Jamboree with 15,000 Scouts as an Assistant Scoutmaster.

Your destinations in Iowa are all great ones. I live half way between the Amana Colonies and the Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa (which they're permanently closing this year).

The only 2 dealerships I'm aware of in Iowa are Iowa City (near Amana) and Souix City (far NW corner). I live just north of Iowa City so I use that one. Warning: they sell many brands and not a dedicated BMW shop. Inventory varies. Their BMW mechanic only works Tues-Fri.

If your checking out John Wayne's birth place, check out the covered bridges of Madison County (same county).

Wyatt Erps was from in Pella, IA. Pella is a very unique Dutch community with some fantastic bakeries and a very beautiful picturesque town. (Also the headquarters of Pella Windows).

On your travels between Amana / Iowa City and Anamosa, be sure to go through North Liberty to Solon on Mahaffey Bridge Road. Awesome motorcycle road (for Iowa). Also, since you'll be in Anamosa, go check out the Maquoketa Caves State Park.

If you want the best fried chicken in the world (I'm bias), go to Mt. Hamill Tap in Mt. Hamill, IA. Its a total dive in the middle of NOWHERE and kind of redneck, but its wonderful!

Scott

I'll probably ride 2 or 3 days in the middle of the week.
Ames to Des Moines might be crazy busy.

Not much BMW stuff to see at Van Wall or Iowa City.

True! And sad! Gina's in Iowa City was a great shop. But people age and sell to whomever has the money, and you can't really blame them. The mega-shop in Iowa City now brags that it carries over 20 brands. I think that includes generators and chainsaws though.

And somewhat as an aside, we complain that there are too few dealers, and we complain that BMW "standards" deter dealerships, and then when those "standards" don't seem to apply to big multi-brand conglomerates we complain that the BMW presence is insufficient.

The Village Guest Suites is a good place to stay in Amana. We have stayed in room 2 and 3 several times.
$80 without breakfast. A couple blocks from restaurants and not far from the Millstream brewery.
http://villageguestsuite.com/suites.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/V...!4d-91.8729821!10e5!16s/g/1v2yzdt8?authuser=0

Back