• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hard to get off center stand

cowchip

Hi Guys and gals,
I just rode home today from the dealer with my new 2022 F750GS. A great 40 mile trip through the Santa Monica Mountains and home. Put the bike on the center stand to begin the add all my accessories.
I want to move the bike so I can re-park a car but for some reason I am unable to get the bike off the center stand. Never had this issue with my R1200RT.
I cannot get the bike to rock on the rear wheel.
What am I doing wrong? What should I try beside putting weight back on.

Thanks,

Not sure what "rock on rear wheel" means, but are you saying center stand slides across floor when you try to collapse center stand? Get a rubber mat to extend center stand on, then when you push to collapse stand, it will and not slide.

Stand on left side, left hand on the handlebar grip, right hand on passenger hand rail, push/pull the bike forward. Usually a good idea to have the side stand down as a backup. I don't know why you would want to "rock" it.

Stand on left side, left hand on the handlebar grip, right hand on passenger hand rail, push/pull the bike forward. Usually a good idea to have the side stand down as a backup. I don't know why you would want to "rock" it.

Those of us with K75s know how easy it is to sit on the bike and get it off the center stand with a little body language. And those with R80ST or R65 bikes know that sliding the bike all around the garage often fails, too. :)

Usually a good idea to have the side stand down as a backup.

If you do have the side stand down while making this maneuver, I can recommend to be careful to not get your foot under it as the bike comes down. It will drift-punch your foot. :eek
OM

To get my 850GS off the center stand, I normally just sit on the bike and give the bars a good shove forward. Actually, I find it harder to get this bike up on the stand than off it.

If you do have the side stand down while making this maneuver, I can recommend to be careful to not get your foot under it as the bike comes down. It will drift-punch your foot. :eek
OM

Back when I had ten toes I would have said this was a silly admonition. :)

OM
Got lucky with the GS one day. It punched the boot but miraculously missed my toes. Lesson learned!
Now for the OP, side stand UP, place your left foot in front of the centerstand to keep it from sliding forward. Careful though, when it comes down you won't be in the best position to catch it.

Not sure what "rock on rear wheel" means, but are you saying center stand slides across floor when you try to collapse center stand? Get a rubber mat to extend center stand on, then when you push to collapse stand, it will and not slide.

My previous bike ( R1200RT) I usually just rocked it back and then forward to get it off the center stand. The stand is moving so I will get a thin rubber mat to help with that. More practice today.
This bike, because of the design of the stand) will not allow me to tilt the bike back on the rear tire like my previous bike.

I don't understand the need to rock it back onto the rear tire unless you are trying to ride the bike off the stand while sitting on it. Not a method I've ever attempted if so.

Aside from my former R1100RS, every bike I've ever owned was weighted onto the front tire when on the center stand and required pulling it forward off the stand while standing beside the bike. My current bikes, a K1200GT and F850GSA, both tend to want to slide on the smooth concrete floor when getting them down off their stands. I find that all that is needed is to snub the foot of the center stand with my boot to stop it from moving. Once the bike is down off the center stand, I'll roll it out of the parking spot and deploy the sidestand.

I don't understand the need to rock it back onto the rear tire unless you are trying to ride the bike off the stand while sitting on it. Not a method I've ever attempted if so.

Thinking about it now, rocking back before pushing forward could allow building up some momentum to get the bike over the top of the stand.

As a new rider, I struggled with the center stand.

So, I asked my mechanic.

He told me it was essentially a mechanic stand, for service. It was perfectly fine to just use the side stand most of the time.

Voni
sMiling 1 million 100 thousand sMiles later . . .

So, I asked my mechanic.

He told me it was essentially a mechanic stand, for service. It was perfectly fine to just use the side stand most of the time.

Voni

Actually I need to put her on the center stand because I have two cars in the garage and I park the bike either in front or behind my Miata. I did finish installing my accessories yesterday all on the side stand.
I am getting a bit better at taking her off and on the center stand. Pushing forward is the trick for getting off.

So, I asked my mechanic.

Voni

She may have put her bike(s) on the centerstand two or three times in her 1,100,000 miles. And if perchance I happen to errantly leave her bike on the centerstand for some strange fit of oversight she will come find me to correct my mistake. Or she will just take my bike. :)

I’ve ridin with a lot of the BMW riding groups. When they come to a permenent stop, it’s an unwritten contest to see who can get their bike on the center stand the fastest. Those who didn’nt participate were generally frowned upon. Hey, I didn’t make the rule. Back in the day when I started; I just assumed it was due to to the weak sidestand on the bikes. How was I to know that BMW riders and and their groups were a little off center bubble. Ps The next contest, was who could get their Kermit chair put together the fastest and be sitting in it. It is what it is. BMW riders, Y gotta luv’em.

Back