• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Guidance if you can 2006 R1200RT checking and safely topping up oil

aussiebob

Hi members can you please advise me of best practice with Oil top ups. I recently discussed oil Seepage that I intend to look into in a couple of weeks. Meantime a check of the oil last week showed that it was 1/3 of the sight glass. Today I could not see oil at all? I did a 40 kilometre ride home from work with 5 stops and expect bike would have been warm enough! After 20 mins checked again to see a 1/16 in the sight glass at the bottom. I have a 400 Kilometre ride in two days so want to to up the oil. Is there a rule of thumb for quick top ups?

What is the best practice for checking the oil level?

What is best practice to top up the oil and ensure the oil is not over filled (note the warning in the manual).

Please assist I'm new to BMW!

Thanks in advance Aussie Bob

Hi members can you please advise me of best practice with Oil top ups. I recently discussed oil Seepage that I intend to look into in a couple of weeks. Meantime a check of the oil last week showed that it was 1/3 of the sight glass. Today I could not see oil at all? I did a 40 kilometre ride home from work with 5 stops and expect bike would have been warm enough! After 20 mins checked again to see a 1/16 in the sight glass at the bottom. I have a 400 Kilometre ride in two days so want to to up the oil. Is there a rule of thumb for quick top ups?

What is the best practice for checking the oil level?

What is best practice to top up the oil and ensure the oil is not over filled (note the warning in the manual).

Please assist I'm new to BMW!

Thanks in advance Aussie Bob

on my 13RT i ride it, park it on the sidestand while i remove my gear (helmet, gloves, jacket), pull the bike onto the centerstand, remove the rest of my gear and change into street clothes THEN check the oil level with a flashlight after at least 10 min....i keep my Mobil 1, 15w50 at the top of the sight glass, not over, just to the top...at 88000 miles she uses only about 200cc in 6000 miles...:)

hope this helps a bit...:)

Topping off oil

Perfectly explained. I suggest you do it German so Herman at BMW Germany can put in the weak manual to go with the weak tool kit.

Back