• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS vs. GSA? Why did you chose one over the other?

As many times as mine has been on it's side on a trail, I'm sometimes glad that I don't have the GSA! I don't have Charlie Boreman there to save my butt. I'd say the GSA wins in the SWEET lookin rides dept, but opinions are like....

I bought the GS because the ADV seemed so much bigger coming from a Duc, and the GS had a little more off road appeal....to me. They are both worthy, and tougher than one can imagine.

200 miles is plenty on range for me for one sitting. Maybe it's A.D.D, or the back, or the butt.

I'll use this opportunity to post a picture of my bike. This is my second GS. I bought it with Adventure bags and black spoke wheels. I also have the "low" option. I'm 5' 10" and it fits me perfect. I also have a Sargent seat, BMW tall windscreen, Bags connection electrified tank bag, lowered pegs and some other small stuff. I need to get the Adventure rear rack and top box so my wife feels more secure. I hope all the responses help you make the right decision.

2010BMW1200GS007-1.jpg

2010BMW1200GS008-1.jpg

2010BMW1200GS009-1.jpg

gs v gsa

I chose the gsa because of the long range tanks as it cheeses me of a bit having to keep stopping every two hours or so to tank up.However if you're running with a fellow on KTM or f800gs as I do you have to stop anyway, at least you don't have to strap on extra cans of fuel.Also you get a better windshield and the bigger tanks keep your legs drier.I prefer the wire wheels over the cast type and you get the crash bars too,though you're paying for it.For some reason in Canada (well my neck of the woods) you can't get a test ride , had I done so Iwould of gone for the deeper first gear as the standard is too high when two up and loaded. I think they look better than the gs too

Like:)

Brude H has some neat lights! The stocker GSA driving lights "HIT" the ground as one comes off the bike in dirt riding:(. The driving lights should have had crash bars around them. I see these lights are higher mounted, above the bars I like:). Anyhow, my GSA was my best choiuce too and a very good decision @ 62000m now and very happy. '07GSA. FYI; The tank holds 10gallons and I have done this more than once, running quite close to PUSH mode. Randy:thumb

The stocker GSA driving lights "HIT" the ground as one comes off the bike in dirt riding:(. The driving lights should have had crash bars around them.

I am on my third housing on the right side...:doh

Still my favorite bike for all around fun...had to get a bigger tank to keep pace with the RT's I ride with on occasion:stick
I too have been very close to push mode while out in West TX and NM on back state roads on my first '05 GS.

GS - GSA Crash Protection

I have been looking at getting a GS or GSA as well. I was recently introduced to police style slow speed training, and I inevitably drop the bike a lot. Assuming I would have to buy some sort of crash bar for the GS, which bike can hold up better to the low speed pavement drops? Are there items that commonly need replacing?

I have been looking at getting a GS or GSA as well. I was recently introduced to police style slow speed training, and I inevitably drop the bike a lot. Assuming I would have to buy some sort of crash bar for the GS, which bike can hold up better to the low speed pavement drops? Are there items that commonly need replacing?

the GSA comes with it from factory :brow

As I posted earlier the reason for me going with the GSA, is by the time I would get a GS to where I want it, I would have covered the difference in addtions to get where the GSA starts at

Thanks for all the replies. Bruce H, the shot of your bike is now on my desktop. A prime example of the "cool" factor I was talking about. I was asking an ABS question that might have been missed: Is the switchable ABS an option on the late model (2010, 2011) GS/GSA bikes? I haven't seen one on the showroom floor that didn't have this, but the literature on the bike shows it as an option.

You can order a bike without ABS - you will have to wait for it.

Also you may want to consider re-sale if you do get a bike without ABS as this is a sought after feature

GSA for fuel range, higher suspension and I like the painted bits.

350 a tank is very nice.

dropping lights

Steve, were you able to buy just the housing or did you have to buy the whole light? my last GSA had a broken housing which I tried to glue, didn't work too well. these are engineered wat too close to the minimum.

Steve, were you able to buy just the housing or did you have to buy the whole light? my last GSA had a broken housing which I tried to glue, didn't work too well. these are engineered wat too close to the minimum.

sending you a PM

No, I wasn't saying I'd like to have a GS without ABS; I don't think I'd own another bike without it after enjoying the advantages on my RS. The BMW literature made it appear that the on/off type of ABS was an upgrade. I was confused by their wording under their Options packages. Mistook it to read that full-time ABS was the standard, and the switchable an upgrade (translation: mo $$$).

A little late but. . .

Like a lot of others, I started with a GS and progressed? up to? a GSA. The main reason was the beefier shocks, great range and super protection. I weigh 230 and with my wife and all our gear, the GSA just handles the weight of all that better. No problem on forest service and BLM roads all over the west with us full of a weeks worth of gear. My 0x GS seemed alittle under suspended with that much weight on it. I eventually put adventure shocks on it and it did help but after 92,000 miles in 7 years I went with a 08 GSA. We call it the silver monster. Not happy with mileage on interstates but on two lane paved roads in the mountains it is repectable but I do miss that tall 6th. gear or E as BMW called it.
Both are great bikes and you can't go wrong with either. Now as I get older and not as adventurous, is there a K1600GTL in my thoughts? Maybe. . .

Proof that the GSA handles well....

I weigh 230 and with my wife and all our gear, the GSA just handles the weight of all that better.

as you deftly maneuvered around stating your wife's weight in this post!:D (Been married a while, eh?)

I've been thinking about trading my R1200RT for a GS or GSA. For the same reasons you stated, I think I should probably go with the GSA. My wife is skeptical about the comfort difference though. Any input from your wife on the comfort factor as a passenger?

Does anyone have any claims on gas mileage on these later model dual-cam bikes? Also, aren't the gear ratio setups different in the GS vs. GSA? I thought I'd read or heard somewhere about two different transmission options on the GSA in particular. I do like that tall 6th gear for highway cruising. I currently get 45mpg on my RS and I'm happy with that. It's obvious to me that there's alot of passion floating around the BMWMOA about these GS bikes! :clap

I've been getting around 50. The lowest was 46. The Enduro transmission is avalible in the GSA. It has a lower first gear.

Back