• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS or a GSA for my first GS

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I have an odd question for the GS folk. I'm looking to get a GS. In talking with some riders, some have commented about the added weight, which could be an issue for new GS riders. What are people's thoughts here. Start with a GS first and get use to the bike on trails, etc. first, then get a GSA if so desired. Or, would someone get used to the GSA relatively quickly that it's not really an issue.

FYI, I'm a little over 6' with a 34" inseam and I see myself at first doing more riding on pavement, and going off road (e.g. dirt trails/roads) a little at first and working up to more.

I'd recommend test-riding both and see how you feel. A couple of things to keep in mind.

Loaded GS may not have "sport suspension" the sport suspension option on the GS is the GSA spring which gives added ground clearance. so a GS will sit lower than a GSA if both bought w/ their standard suspension
GSA comes standard with crash bars, auxiliary lights, the nicer luggage racks for aluminum boxes, larger windscreen, dual control brake lever and maybe 1-2 things I'm not thinking about
A GSA may hold its value longer or higher (a dealer sales person can chime in if I'm wrong) but optimizing resale, you may want to get a GSA

Yes it's heavier mostly because fuel is heavier. If you're doing highly technical off-road, a GS with sport suspension will handle better and you can then put on stronger crash protection from AltRider. a GSA will come with basic crash protection (tip over bars) and you can easily do 275 miles before having to stop for gas.

....I always recommend people get a low-suspension model because
A) Most people aren't 6'3"
B) Most people never go over anything higher than a speed bump
C) Retrofitting 'low' requires a new center stand, side stand and removing the rear shock and replacing a spring (which means $$$ down the road)

Even if you can flat foot a standard GS/A with sport suspension, why struggle to saddle up when you're never going to even go off road?

----

GSA is my default recommendation in low configuration for resale and mileage for touring riders. GS w/ sport suspension & full AltRider suite of protection is my recommendation for off-road riders.

last thing to consider, if you ride with groups or with your spouse, you're always going to be limited by the person with the smallest fuel tank so having a GSA and then going out and riding with a bunch of Ducati Scramblers means they're going to stop every 100 miles and you'll be sitting there baking in the sun waiting for them.

Note, I'm on my 3rd GSA and every time I reset ride a GS, I miss the wide leg position, tall bike, range and how it look and rides. I just LOVE the bigger bike. I end up taking off all of the adventure accessories so my A is about range, looks & comfort and not about the extra free accessories you get.

I have an odd question for the GS folk. I'm looking to get a GS. In talking with some riders, some have commented about the added weight, which could be an issue for new GS riders. What are people's thoughts here. Start with a GS first and get use to the bike on trails, etc. first, then get a GSA if so desired. Or, would someone get used to the GSA relatively quickly that it's not really an issue.

FYI, I'm a little over 6' with a 34" inseam and I see myself at first doing more riding on pavement, and going off road (e.g. dirt trails/roads) a little at first and working up to more.

If you're new to this, I would suggest a used standard GS. The new ones are expensive, heavy and overpowered, imo. The only benefit of a GSA is fuel capacity (which makes them even heavier!) and marginally longer suspension travel. For a rider that's never been off-pavement, anything more than a hard-packed unpaved road can be a real challenge, and the weight of a GSA makes it all that more intimidating. At least you are 6' tall!!! :ha

Since you're tall, the first accessory I would suggest is aftermarket suspension. Decent suspension transforms these bikes.

You might also consider hooking up with the GS Giants, a great group of people with extensive knowledge who can help you get comfortable with off-pavement riding and the right accessories for your bike. They have a very active presence on Facebook, too. There are a lot of Giants in the NorCal area.

Training can be worth the investment, but the GS Giants will give you a lot of know-how for free. :thumb

Ian

Attachments

• gsGiant_logo_medium.jpg
    gsGiant_logo_medium.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 254
You didn't say which engine configuration you were going to go with - the big 1200/1250 or the (somewhat) smaller 850/800/700/650?

I actually prefer the F800GS over the standard 800GSA because the standard GS has more options for different farkles/options (windscreen, seats, crashbars, etc.). I like what Adam said - go ride the different models and see what fits you best!

GS or GSA?

As an owner of a 2010 GSA... IMHO, based on what you've said, you sound a lot like me. Similar size, similar inseam. First off, you'll love the goodies that are standard on the GSA, and at the top of that list (after the short geared acceleration) - range. You'll have oh, twice the range of anyone else you ride with, unless they are GSA folks. This greatly simplifies fuel stops in the course of a long trip. When everyone else is low on gas, you're the Exxon Valdez, minus the unfortunate incidents. On the down side, as for 'off road', there ain't no such thing as a 500+ pound 'dirt bike' unless you are exceedingly young and fit. Since I'm closing in on 60, that's not me. /frown. If you want to do that foolishness, go w/ a 250 cc asian something, and save the GSA for serious trips. Pick the right tool for the task at hand.

The GSA is the best Swiss army knife in the world. It's not the best at anything, but it'll do damn near anything well. If you are going to be running roads, go w/ your favorite street tire (hello, Michelin?) and you'll see much better tire life and traction in the wet and turns. DAMHIK. Add good lights, and you'll be capable of comfortable/consistent/repeatable 750 mile (or more) days w/ very little effort beyond twisting the throttle. I covered 2000 miles each way to/from Great Falls in June comfortably, and would leave to do it again tomorrow. My current bike has tons of character, is easy to work on, and I'm not afraid to drop it (oops, I did it again). I am debating adding a 2022 GSA to my stable, and stashing the current one on the west coast for rides out there when I can get there.

Visit your local dealer. They will toss you the keys to most anything on the lot, in most cases. See what is comfortable for you, and enjoy.

I have an odd question for the GS folk. ......What are people's thoughts here. Start with a GS first and get use to the bike on trails, etc. first, then get a GSA if so desired. Or, would someone get used to the GSA relatively quickly that it's not really an issue.

Not that a very capable off road rider couldn't but personally I wouldn't take either on trails because they're too heavy, tall geared, and expensive. What both are really good at is riding on roads, all kinds of them from dirt/gravel and bumpy asphalt to I-80 and everything in between. The GS offers good wind protection yet it's more like riding a standard bike, the GSA with added deflectors, wider girth, larger shield offers great protection almost RT-like. Basically other than added fuel range either bike will do what the other will so there's no wrong choice. If planning on doing a lot of touring, especially in the west where stations are farther apart, I'd lean toward a R1250GSA just for it's added protection from the elements and larger tank. Otherwise a regular GS is basically the same bike but lighter and less $.

Wow, there’s been a lot of good responses here, so thanks. But, it does seem like my post was a bit short and I left some important information out. My thoughts here are with the wethead R1200 GS and GSA.

My initial thoughts were to get a standard GS; however, there are few standard GS’s available at this point in time. I did notice a 2015 GSA for sale at a local dealer and it’s pretty much what I’d be looking for except that it’s a GSA. I test rode both the GSA and a standard GS for comparison. My thoughts were that the GSA is a little bigger and heavier than I need. But, with this one available, I’m second guessing my initial thoughts.

After riding both the GS and the GSA, one thing I did notice is the wider tank that seemed a bit awkward, and I wonder if it’s something I’ll get used to or not. FYI, I did start a thread on this in the Wethead section.

As with most people, I would like a bike sooner rather than later, but it makes sense to wait get the bike that I want rather than comprising just to get a bike sooner. I know at some point, there will be a R1200 GS parked in my garage whether its the Adventure version or not.

Thanks again for all your input.

I went from a 1200 RT to a 2015 R1200 GSA (lowered) in 2015. I'm 5'8", so a regular GSA is too tall for me. Before buying the GSA, I test rode the GS, and GSA, back to back. I didn't notice enough of a difference to steer me away from the GSA. I really like the extra fuel capacity, given the GSA's tank is 50% larger than that of the GS (30L vs. 20L). I ride predominately on pavement, but do venture onto hard-packed gravel and dirt, from time to time. From my experience, I think you'd get used to the GSA's weight/size pretty quickly.

I do not have any of the bikes listed, just an RT.
I test rode a 1250 GSA at the Lebanon rally.
With the electronic suspension the BMW guy pushed a button and the preload adjusted to my level.
I purposely asked not to ride a lowered bike because I wanted to see what would fit me, I think my inseam is 31.
It may be cheating, but the bike was wonderful, we were doing 100 on the hiway part of the ride and I didn't even know it.

I know at some point, there will be a R1200 GS parked in my garage whether its the Adventure version or not.

As long as you don't fully fill the GSA tank, the difference between the two bikes are barely noticeable.

Talking new bikes here, the margin on the GSA is much higher because everyone thinks they need the gas.

My G/SPD+ has a 9.5 gallon tank and the only time I've ever run out is when forgetting to turn the petcock from Reserve to On after filling it up. Of course it ran out in the middle of nowhere, Colorado....

x-X3.jpg

So, I've been thinking. What makes up the main difference in weight between a GS and a GSA. I searched up weight and ended up using ultimateSPECS.com for reference (2017 model year). They list the GS at ±538 lbs wet for the GS and ±580 lbs for the GSA, which equates to about 42 lb difference. The GSA has about 2.65 more gallons of gas that the GS (7.93 gallons - 5.28 gallons), which equates to about 16 lbs (2.65 gallons x 6.1 lbs/gallon). So what makes up the remaining 26 lbs. I can't image the additional plastic to make the larger tank and the painted panels would add up to much. My guess is some of that weight is the crash bars and luggage racks, but I can't imagine they add up to 26 lbs. Since the GSA has slightly more travel, some of it is there.

OK, I'm probably thinking too much here, but I'm wondering if the weight difference (excluding the fuel) is really significant once crash bars and luggage racks are added.

I thought back in the day, the GSA’s had a lower first gear? Part of the “A” difference?
OM

I believe so.

Most manufacturers do Not include fuel (and sometimes oil!) in the "Listed" weight spec... Look for "dry" or "wet" or "fueled" on that spec line. Bars and racks should be decent steel if they're going to hold up and that adds weight. Wheel type (spokes vs. mag), instrumentation, lighting, and windshield also contribute. The battery may also differ (ex.: the S1000RR series).

Back