• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS headlight replacement?

talmadge_w

Apologies if this question is a repeat - I didn't see the information with a thread search. Can anyone provide a brief description of how to change the headlight bulbs on an '08 1200 GS? The service CD shows dismantling almost everything forward of the triple clamp but I have seen someone just reach under the dash and come out with the old bulb in seconds. Didn't have the forethought at the time to ask what he did. ;<

Thanks!
Talmadge

So the cap is just normal threads - not push + turn or something fancy? I tried unscrewing it but felt no give. Didn't want to apply too much force for fear of snapping off some tiny plastic part that I would need to pay BMW $200 to replace!

As I recall (it has been since last fall when I last did it) the cap rotates to the left 45 degrees or less and will come right out. The bulb itself will be held in with a spring retainer clip that swings open to release the bulb. I is a little tight in there but I am left handed so I stood on the right side of the bike facing forward and turned it with my left hand. A little awkward but not difficult. Hope this helps!

1/4 turn on the cap. Some folks have large hands and complain about access. In that case you can remove the entire headlight assembly in about 3 minutes. Only two screws and a couple three wiring harness clips.

Here I had the headlamp assembly out of the bike to fix a broken lamp retaining bail. The photo gives a good view of the cap that needs removing. This is the high beam side. The low beam looks the same.

p-20090122-1457-4928.jpg

And here's a close up of the headlamp with cap removed but the bulb still installed. You can see the notches where the cap locks onto the assembly. Ignore the red wire on the right... that is something I added. It won't be on a stock bike.

p-20090122-1517-4933.jpg

This is an '05 bike, but I believe the instrument cluster is the same.

Last edited:
Thanks all - mission accomplished! FWIW: I found the best leverage reaching in from below beside the forks. No worry about weatherproofing - those covers are REALLY tight!

Back