• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R12R instrument cluster anomaly

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
H's 07 roadster at 104K has a new option...a warm weather activated dash display:banghead

She said it happened last year during a cold spell but didn't seem to repeat until a recent drop in temps last week brought it back.
Have had other roadsters, and a GS of this vintage have a failing ignition switch module...this presents differently as the bike will run.
Turn key on, no display, but bike starts and all other electrical functions work. After a warm up during day, the dash comes alive.She used her GPS as a speedo last week until I said I wasn't going to be happy if it dies on her commute and ride something else. Mostly, didn't think it was safe to ride with no rider info and a roadside rescue by me that wasn't really necessary possible.

I scanned for codes when air temp was below 45°F when blank and it says no communication from unit. I used a heat gun and warmed dash for a few minutes from a safe distance and on it came. Repeated a few times letting unit cool with same results over a two day period.
Tried warming just switch module from below with no positive results a few times just to take that off the table. I reset the clock each time I got the display working, but each time it locked the last setting as the next time it comes on is that setting, not current time.

Seems the cluster is failing and the lovely thing is it is almost a $1200 piece of electronics. Found a few used half price units, but always cautious on pulling trigger on like items. It could go another 50K or 500 miles.
She shook her head and it got pushed into the let's wait row for now.
I had a few F800GS's here with a visually same dash, but the fiche says not, so it is model specific. Searched for similar failures on other sites and no luck.Most are switch failures.

Strange indeed. Thank goodness you live where cool weather is fairly limited.

First thing that comes to my mind is that the cool temperatures are affecting an electrical connector that provides power to the instrument cluster. Perhaps a pin or pin is barely making contact and when cold it shrinks just enough to break the connection. I’d check to see if I could identify possible suspects on a wiring diagram and then locate the suspect connector(s) to see if it is properly seated, and apply heat to it when the dash is inop. A chemical hand warmer could be used to apply the heat safely and in a pinpoint manner.

I have cleaned the units connector and socket and plugged/unplugged a few times. Opening the case and taking a peek may be next. I do have a damaged one from another bike to play with first as the case is already broken.
A smaller heat source other than my heat gun is a good plan as well. I may be putting off the inevitable, but can't hurt.

I am waiting for the advice of get her a new(er) bike :stick but that is on her, she has sat on a few Wethead GS's and a R lately :whistle
Hard to believe the original Hexheads are over ten years old now...makes me feel older too.

Pulled what was left of rear housing from the damaged unit I had. Way beyond my paygrade as all the components are micro minnie.
The cover has screws,mostly for bezel face, but also some one time plastic post/socket connectors that will not seperate from the cover w/out damage. I will leave the one on H's bike alone and spend some money to replace it. $1200 hard drive:banghead

IMG_3020.JPG

I would try the speedo repair places like North Hollywood. Most of the work they do now is on electronic instruments. They know this stuff.

What a great idea Lee. You sould post that on H's facebook page, or even better yet, email it to her. :thumb

I knew I could count on y'all for a solid solution:brow

She's thought about it, but I'm not saying a word , the red frame or the black/gold has caught her eye more than once. Said her K bike needs to go first.

Intrusment Cluster Problem

I have the same problem with the instrument cluster on my 207 R1200R.

Today,I took the cluster off, removed the connector and everything looked perfect: no dirt, corrosion or condensation. Replaced the connector and still had no instruments.

When I ride, most of the time the cluster is dead but, sometimes it will come to life while I ride.

Are you still havig the problem? Did you come up with a fix?

Thanks for any infromation.

I have the same problem with the instrument cluster on my 207 R1200R.

Today,I took the cluster off, removed the connector and everything looked perfect: no dirt, corrosion or condensation. Replaced the connector and still had no instruments.

When I ride, most of the time the cluster is dead but, sometimes it will come to life while I ride.

Are you still havig the problem? Did you come up with a fix?

Thanks for any infromation.

Still dead last attempt, have not tried it since the ambient temps are higher.
I contacted the CA speedo repair shop...they do not work on these sadly. Finding a non damaged used one is the proverbial needle in a haystack...rare

And welcome to the forum:wave

I'm not sure if a used one will work. They may be programmed to the VIN# and the engine ECU.. lots of stuff on the R1200 series bikes is like that (found that out when I tried adding ASC on my '07... couldn't do it without replacing not only the ECU but also the instrument cluster. Dealer tried - but it just didn't work.)

I'm not sure if a used one will work. They may be programmed to the VIN# and the engine ECU.. lots of stuff on the R1200 series bikes is like that (found that out when I tried adding ASC on my '07... couldn't do it without replacing not only the ECU but also the instrument cluster. Dealer tried - but it just didn't work.)

I have replaced a few for folks after damage with new ones, two R's and a GS in the 07-09 year range...they have worked without a trip to dealer. They picked up current mileage from the ECU. One did require a dealer visit as I could not change KM to Mls on odometer with GS911..the other two were fine.

I will give a used one a shot from a source that will accept a return if one shows up, the new price has H waiting and riding something else for now.

Intrusment Cluster Problem

Thanks for the update.

Please let me know where you find your used cluster. I'd like to try replacing mine and it would be nice to be able to return it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Back