• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Great service in Mesa AZ

captainsteve

After a ride the other day I stepped off the bike and had a "What's wrong with this picture" moment. The right side battery cover had gone AWOL somewhere on my ride. I spent the next couple of hours retracing my route in hopes that I would find it lying along the curb but no such luck. Obviously the bike does not look great with the missing cover so I began a search for a replacement (keep in mind that it is 29 year old R80 RT).

I started with the local BMW dealer, Iron Horse Motorcycles here in Tucson and Dan in parts soon called back with the bad news I was expecting: They don't make them anymore. Armed with a couple of his suggestions as to where to look and the latest issues of AirMail and BMW ON I started searching the internet and making calls. I quickly found one in Murrieta that was primer gray and elected to make it "Plan B" and continue the search. I struck proverbial gold with the next call to Quality Cycle Service in Mesa (just east of Phoenix). :dance

They had a couple and the best of the batch was a black one in perfect condition right down to the R80 RT lettering and pin striping for a very reasonable $27. My plan was, and still is, to have this cover painted to Colorado Rot to match the rest of the bike. I had them hold it for me and this morning jumped on the bike for the 100+ mile ride up through Florence and Apache Junction's to their shop in Mesa. I'll take it to a custom paint shop after getting some recommendations here locally but.... for now it really doesn't look all that bad.

The owner, Dave Alquist welcomed me warmly as I rolled in and noted "Your idle sounds high, want me fix that? "Sure" I responded and producing a screw driver he went to work on the carbs while I mounted the cover. A couple of minutes later he had the bike purring like a Bavarian kitten at a very sedate 1,000 rpm. BMW's are his specialty and he has lots of spare parts. If you ever need parts or service anywhere near Phoenix give Dave a call at 480 9064-4800.

Last edited:
Dave is great guy and a real airhead guru. He's the AZ airmarshal (at least he was last I looked) and holds a couple tech days a year. I highly recommend him for anything airhead. He'll also work on oilheads but be prepared for a discussion of the bad points of the whizzy brakes :).

Usual disclaimer...I have no financial interest in Dave's business, just a satisfied customer.

Back