• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Generator 2014 R1200GS Wethead

beemer01

So last summer my generator died, leaving me stranded 300 miles from home. So after I got the bike towed home I left it at an independent BMW repair shop. I later got a call from the shop and he confirmed that the OE Generator had in fact died, but BMW has designed a superseded generator....but said generator is not in stock in the States. So my bike sits gathering dust.

Does any of this ring true with you folks? Anyone else had wethead generator problems?

That BMW does not have some stock parts in the US, I'm not surprised. That alternators fail, doesn't surprise me either, how prevalent it is is a good question. I've read about failures on the early 2014's. Good luck, please keep us posted.

When a dealer checks US inventory they can also look upstream and see if there are any in stock at der mothership. Did your independent shop or their parts supplier do that look? It would tell you a lot about your wait time. I’ve ordered parts that were not in stock in the US but available upchannel, and the wait was not at all bad.

Best,
DeVern

From what I've seen online you do want this new design. The old one looks like someone wound it on the 1st day of high school shop class. They don't seem to fail very often so it doesn't surprise me they aren't in stock.

Unless your bike was built in the 60's, it has an alternator, not a generator. Big difference. Regardless, good luck with getting things resolved.

Unless your bike was built in the 60's, it has an alternator, not a generator. Big difference. Regardless, good luck with getting things resolved.

Here is the term alternator defined, emphasis added: "An alternator is a generator of electric power in a car and is a major component of the vehicle's charging system. ... When an engine is running, the alternator charges the battery and supplies additional electric power for the vehicle electrical systems.

Here is the term alternator defined, emphasis added: "An alternator is a generator of electric power in a car and is a major component of the vehicle's charging system. ... When an engine is running, the alternator charges the battery and supplies additional electric power for the vehicle electrical systems.

Though, properly, the terms aren't interchangeable. (Not that you implied they were- though the inference may have been made by some) "The major difference between the alternator and the generator is that in alternator the armature is stationary and the field system rotates whereas in the generator armature rotates and field is stationary. The armature of the alternator is mounted on the stationary element called stator and field winding on a rotating element. While the connection of a generator is just the reverse of it. The other differences between them are shown below in the comparison chart."

https://circuitglobe.com/difference-between-alternator-and-generator.html

If we want to split hairs, then I believe that its actually the Stator that probably stopped functioning properly and requires replacement.

That being said, I think that 99.999+ % of us knew exactly what he was talking about.

Thanks Guys - you're right of course

It's the alternator, not the generator. An old school mindset had briefly taken over.

It's also a dam* expensive repair.

Just to nit-pick the terminology a bit more. In the automotive trades a generator supplies DC voltage, an alternator supplies AC voltage or alternating, hence the name.

Once you get away from that anything can happen! I used to service stand by generators from 7 KW up to around 200 KW. They were called generators, rotating field, contrary to the web site posted, and produced AC voltage.

Funny. I recently had a charging system failure repaired under warranty on my G310GS. The repair order printout I received from the dealer made reference to the "generator" four times and never once used the term alternator.

There are a few photos on the net of failed stators and they all look like a 5 year old wound them. The replacement units look more professional and should be trouble free...(one can hope)..
I am amazed that BMW had such a sloppy QC on these leaving the factory in China, where I am sure they are made, and again sloppy QC prior to installation in Berlin...:stick

If we want to split hairs, then I believe that its actually the Stator that probably stopped functioning properly and requires replacement.

That being said, I think that 99.999+ % of us knew exactly what he was talking about.

we bend over backwards for the .001%

So last summer my generator died, leaving me stranded 300 miles from home. So after I got the bike towed home I left it at an independent BMW repair shop. I later got a call from the shop and he confirmed that the OE Generator had in fact died, but BMW has designed a superseded generator....but said generator is not in stock in the States. So my bike sits gathering dust.

Does any of this ring true with you folks? Anyone else had wethead generator problems?

Have you tried the dealership in Barrington? I had good luck with them this past summer.

Funny. I recently had a charging system failure repaired under warranty on my G310GS. The repair order printout I received from the dealer made reference to the "generator" four times and never once used the term alternator.

The whole alternator/generator assembly was replaced on the G310?

They are both "generators" in the broad sense of the word. Much like motorcycles and trucks are both "vehicles".

Back