• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

G'Day from South Australia

stinkypete

I've been negotiating the purchase of a R1200RT, and flew to Sydney Australia on Monday to pick it up, arriving back home after a 1,300km ride at lunch time today (Wednesday). My new ride is a replacement for my aging and high(ish) mileage Honda ST1300, and is a very low mileage 2016 R1200RT in Alpine White. It came with the small BMW Top Case and the Nav V. As a Long Distance rider and keen tourer, she'll see plenty of Australia.

I hope that the Forum will be a source of knowledge and ideas for me, as this is my first BMW. On the ride home, I found the seat to be OK, and the riding position to my liking. The small top case will be too small for me and I'll need to find an appropriate replacement. I found it necessary to work the gears a little more that I was used to doing on the ST, as the engine does not seem to really come alive until over about 3,000rpm. There's loads of top end power for overtaking, and the electronic adjustments and options were almost a distraction. Most of the ride home was with the ESA set to Soft because of the poor condition of the road and load set to Rider and Luggage. While a little wallowy sometimes, it gave me a less harsh ride of the bumpy roads. My main criticism was the windscreen, which created noisy turbulence around my neck. Why is it that bike manufacturers seem to struggle with getting decent design of OEM screen on their bikes, but after market manufacturers are able to produce far better screens?

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know the bike and the forum.....

Attachments

• StinkyPete's RT.jpg
    StinkyPete's RT.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to the forum!! Nice ride there...hang on for some suggestions about windshields...I'm sure there are options. :thumb

Back