• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Francis Scott Key Bridge- Baltimore, destroyed

I'd heard mention using flotation to get the bridge spans up and out...maybe off to the side quickly so other aspects of search and clean up can begin in parallel.

Seems strange that a cargo ship hitting one part of the bridge made the entire bridge fall down. Then I saw a video showing multiple
charges going off in sequence with each segment of the bridge in a row collapsing into the river. Hmmm....

Bridges like that are a complex matrix of forces being balanced against each other. Removing some of it will spread the load to other parts of the structure, often leading to failure.

In this case, one of two piers supporting the main span got knocked out and the remaining connections weren't enough to hold it all together.

Pretty mortifying.

Seems strange that a cargo ship hitting one part of the bridge made the entire bridge fall down. Then I saw a video showing multiple
charges going off in sequence with each segment of the bridge in a row collapsing into the river. Hmmm....
It looks more to me that lights behind the bride were shown briefly as the bridge flexed up and down from being hit.

Might be of interest, especially for those wondering how a ship managed to knock a bridge over: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/us/key-bridge-historic-crash-invs/index.html

Basically, ships are way, way bigger now. The Key Bridge was hit by a ship 40 years ago and it wasn't a problem because that ship was much smaller. It was built 50 years ago and shipping technology and ship design has changed a lot. Many ships are barely fitting through the Panama Canal now.

Demolition of that type is slow and dangerous work however, there are plenty of specialty companies fully equipped to take that on. Replacement is where it will get complicated and time consuming, there will be little interest in replacement in kind.

Demolition of that type is slow and dangerous work however, there are plenty of specialty companies fully equipped to take that on. Replacement is where it will get complicated and time consuming, there will be little interest in replacement in kind.
For the demolition and removal, after they have cleared the deceased, barge mounted heavy-lift crane and the Navy UDT group. Barring environmental activist troubles and getting a clear view of the River bottom, one side could be opened in a couple of weeks.
OM

I worked on the 2nd biggest crane barge doing remediation for Sable Island. Pretty wild what they can do and they're booked years in advance.

Now…..different media outlets are pontificating about how “outdated bridge design” contributed to the the bridge disaster.
Has there ever been a road or road structure that wasn’t outdated by the time it was completed?
Guess they have to print something. :huh
OM

CNN writers or their AI bots don't seem to know the difference between "truss" and "trust". At least they are consistent with their mistake, which have gone uncorrected for close to 24hrs. I trust the US Army Corps of Engineers are up to the task...
1711625900826.png

Two bodies recovered and investigating if dirty fuel caused the loss of propulsion
Last I was aware, those ships use “bunker oil”. It’s the cheapest, bottom of the barrel- almost sludge fuel available. I requires a number of procedures to actually be able to be burned including, heating and rather exotic filtering.
BF also releases some of the worst exhaust fumes into the atmosphere.
OM

I'm sure the channel will be cleared quickly. But it's not like they can go bridge shopping and pick out what they need at a bridge warehouse. These things take years to design and fabricate. I'm sure whatever they eventually go with will be wider and stronger and need completely different supports in the water too.

Back