• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Francis Scott Key Bridge- Baltimore, destroyed

Wow. That is the first I've seen the video. The initial reports I've been seeing made it sound like a partial collapse, but that looks pretty complete to me.

In each of our cars I have a pocket knife with a pointed spike on one end. This is kept in the center console (BMW X3) and was sold as an emergency escape device (use the knife to cut the seat belt and the pointed spike to break the window) in the event of a crash into water. I never would expect to have to use this for that purpose; the knife is mostly used to slice an apple - rinsed off with the small bottle of hand sanitizer kept in the car. I reckon that someone on the Francis Scott Key Bridge when it collapsed (assuming survival of the crash) would likely find such a knife handy. Geeze Louise!

Wow, is right. I used to run the Francis Scott Key in the late 90's 3-4 times a week hauling steel out of Bethlehem Steel in Sparrows Point, definitely a major artery. Always busy day and night. What a loss of life I'm sure.

There were a few lucky escapes visible on the video. One tractor trailer and two cars made it off before the bridge went down... I feel for those workers as those flashing orange lights indicate there were people at work on the bridge....:uhoh

Wow. That is the first I've seen the video. The initial reports I've been seeing made it sound like a partial collapse, but that looks pretty complete to me.
It looks like the entire steel structure collapsed but the approaches at each end survived. One report (counting headlights in the video) said it looked like maybe 20 vehicles on the bridge when it collapsed.

Officials were able to stop the flow of traffic onto the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore before a massive cargo ship crashed into a support column, helping to save lives in the disaster, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said.

The container ship Dali issued a mayday call as it approached the 1.6-mile-long bridge at about eight knots, a "very rapid speed," Moore said. Following that notification, officials were able to prevent more cars from going onto the bridge before the collapse, he said.

A review of traffic cameras by Maryland transportation officials confirmed there were "no vehicles transiting the bridge at the time of the incident," according to an internal U.S. Department of Homeland Security briefing obtained by ABC News.

The Singapore-flagged vessel struck the bridge at about 1:30 a.m. ET, causing the bridge to partially collapse, officials said. Authorities said several workers who were part of a maintenance team fixing potholes on the span went into the water, along with multiple vehicles.

Two workers were rescued while six remain unaccounted for following the collapse, officials said. Authorities were working to determine how many people may have been involved in the collapse, Moore said.

Last edited:
Samson has been acquired by Crofton out of Virginia.
DJI_0036.jpg

If by chance it is in VA, it would be a great tool in clearing the bridge debris. It has the lift capability basically unsurpassed.
OM

Will certainly lead to major supply chain issues due to the size of the port and how long it will be blocked and will deal a big blow to the Baltimore economy with ripples nationwide probably.

Better hope your new bike from Berlin is not on board!
I’m pretty sure the ship was outbound, maybe Somalia?
This morning’s reports did mention the importance of Baltimore in the importation of European cars.
Any “Port” closure forces delays. I’m guessing about 3 weeks closure in this case…….if remedy isn’t done by committee.
OM

By committee.....:p Seems the good thing is there is no apparent fuel contamination and she's afloat, so once they have her relocated it should be pretty simple to lift the steel. It's done on the inland waterways frequently and the channel width can't be that wide. If it were the railroads likely they would already be at work.

Seems strange that a cargo ship hitting one part of the bridge made the entire bridge fall down. Then I saw a video showing multiple
charges going off in sequence with each segment of the bridge in a row collapsing into the river. Hmmm....

Typical bridge design has the load balanced on either side of a pier. The load goes straight down into the pier and bedrock. If one part of a span fails, then the balance on either side of a pier will be gone and then there's a cascade of events causing the spans to fall into the water.

Last edited:
Samson has been acquired by Crofton out of Virginia.
DJI_0036.jpg

If by chance it is in VA, it would be a great tool in clearing the bridge debris. It has the lift capability basically unsurpassed.
OM
They will need more than one crane barge to get the bridge out of the water. Tandem lifting reduces debris left on the bottom and speeds up cleanup..
A long time ago I worked with the biggest crane barges in the world doing offshore oil installations/ removals. I worked with the predecessors of what are now the largest crane barges in the world.

They will need more than one crane barge to get the bridge out of the water. Tandem lifting reduces debris left on the bottom and speeds up cleanup..
A long time ago I worked with the biggest crane barges in the world doing offshore oil installations/ removals. I worked with the predecessors of what are now the largest crane barges in the world.

Okay with me.
OM

Back