• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Francis Scott Key Bridge- Baltimore, destroyed

Baltimore Boxship's Owner Tries to Limit Liability to $44 Million :scratch

As I mentioned in a previous post, I don’t think anyone has insurance to cover something like this.
This gave me a bit of a reminder to a question that I have wondered about-
Where are container ships registered?

Flag of convenience - Wikipedia

Panama has the largest maritime register, followed by Liberia. Landlocked Bolivia also has a major registry, as does Mongolia.

Why are so many ships registered to Liberia?

The Liberian registry was created in 1948, primarily as a means to offer U.S.-based ship owners a way to crew their vessels without being subject to U.S. labor and wage regulations and U.S. taxation.

I guess it’s why and like registration of pleasure boats in Delaware-

Why are so many boats registered in Delaware?

The prevalence of so many Delaware registered yachts in these countries is often as result of the low costs of the system and the apparent ease of the process. The perceived strength of an attachment to and the support of one of the world's leading superpowers is also attractive to many yacht owners.
OM

Baltimore Boxship's Owner Tries to Limit Liability to $44 Million :scratch

As I mentioned in a previous post, I don’t think anyone has insurance to cover something like this.
This gave me a bit of a reminder to a question that I have wondered about-
Where are container ships registered?

Flag of convenience - Wikipedia

Panama has the largest maritime register, followed by Liberia. Landlocked Bolivia also has a major registry, as does Mongolia.

Why are so many ships registered to Liberia?

The Liberian registry was created in 1948, primarily as a means to offer U.S.-based ship owners a way to crew their vessels without being subject to U.S. labor and wage regulations and U.S. taxation.

I guess it’s why and like registration of pleasure boats in Delaware-

Why are so many boats registered in Delaware?

The prevalence of so many Delaware registered yachts in these countries is often as result of the low costs of the system and the apparent ease of the process. The perceived strength of an attachment to and the support of one of the world's leading superpowers is also attractive to many yacht owners.
OM
For the same reason so many corporations are formed in Delaware: it has better tax laws. Many yachts are corporate assets, so I think I'd expect registration in Delaware, the "home" of the corp. as well.

I can open the link but after a few seconds I get a message saying I need to subscribe to read the article.
Same for me. This seems to randomly occur when a Wall Street Journal is linked in as well. :dunno
OM

Back