• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flea Market is archaic!

The position is neither dictating or policing. There are posting guidelines which are posted under the FAQs for all to read. It is the moderator's "charge" to maintain the actions in the forum as the guidelines in the FAQs provide.

Guidelines: "A guideline is a statement by which to determine a course of action. A guideline aims to streamline particular processes according to a set routine or sound practice. By definition, following a guideline is never mandatory. Guidelines are not binding and are not enforced."

Knowing that, people should include their phone number and/or direct email address in their ad. That way contact can be made outside the flea market itself. Searching for stuff is haphazard at best...not much that can be done about that. It can be manually reviewed...painful I can agree. The flea market doesn't work as intended. But another flea market is coming. That's really where things stand.

So please, don't use the Member Opportunity area for any other purpose. Otherwise, the Moderators will be forced to delete those posts.

Yes. Because a post "Belstaff Pants size XXXXXXL Worn Twice Private Message For All Details" is such a terrible thread.
Although, I will concur the added hassle of deleting it after it has been sold since "members" cannot delete their own threads.
The seller should always be responsible enough to change it's status by adding the world "SOLD" in the heading after the fact.
Or as a [guideline] request it's deletion.

(my neck hurts. i'm going back to bed.)

After reading through this thread (I now ask myself WHY?) my one thought is that the US government, with seemingly unlimited expertise and money, is still trying to get the Obamacare website "correct". I think it unrealistic to believe that this BMW website, mostly run by volunteers, cannot stumble a time or two, or three, or four before getting it right.

Good luck to the volunteers who are trying to remedy this situation.

You got out of bed to cut-n-paste?

Yes, the FM is currently not functioning....Yes, there is a new format coming real soon. Yes, other sites may work better currently and work for some. Others do not use other sites and are OK with the wait. Frustrating, yes. It is what it is for now.

I do not complain about the volunteer task I agreed to be a part of, the reality is it is not a JOB that I need to have. Most of us do not sit in front of a screen full time anymore, so coming on and spend time moving threads or applying the Guidelines in keeping this forum civil takes patience and sometimes more time than I care to spend.

The FM is not a part of the Forum and will not be in the new roll out, so why scramble the eggs here?

Just because the guidelines do not meet your personal perception of how it should be is no reason to come at the mods or the Board. You claim to be leaving again...you leaving like a lion or a lamb? It appears to be the former and if that's your course, I have to ask why? It isn't helping anybody but maybe you.

Just because the guidelines do not meet your personal perception of how it should be is no reason to come at the mods or the Board.

HUH? This lowly serf is not allowed to approacheth thine Ivory Towers?

No. It's got nothing to do w/ personal... I'm the only one posting disdain as the others hate the flame throwing that follows.
As to leaving. Again. Yes. I've said plenty of places... My avatar clearly states it. Just over 30 days...
Folks as yourself take the term club literally and beat others with it...
One only needs to peruse the forums to see "guest" under previous members names... People are leaving.

And that's a fact. As one member confided in me... "Raffles are a terrible business model."

Enjoy your club.

>click<

One only needs to peruse the forums to see "guest" under previous members names... People are leaving.

True, people are leaving and have left. But not for the reasons that you have been suggesting...lately. Many, many of those "guests" were the result of a username database purge much earlier this year. If you ever happened to check, we had as many as 50000 members shown at the bottom of the forum page but in reality there were far fewer actual MOA members. Due to a variety of reasons, usernames kept getting added, people would stay a year or so and then never come back...stopped paying their dues.

So a process was undertaken to delete many of these usernames. A large number of these usernames were deleted from the database had never posted and hadn't even visited the forum in more than 5 years. Many were no longer MOA members. The tougher part of the process was deleting usernames for former users who had significant contribution during their stay here on the forum. With good content, deleting them could create gaps in the threads resulting in confusion. So usernames became guests so that the content would remain in the forum for future reference. Still another group of usernames were "expired" because they were only slightly over their MOA membership dates and this gave them an opportunity to reconsider whether they wanted to remain members and get their original username, along with their avatar and personal information, back for continued use in the forum.

So, yes people leave...people come and go for many reasons. I've tried to explain why you might an encounter a "guest" with a post in the forum.

So when can we expect the flea market?

After reading all of the post's from the moderators. When can we the members expect the flea market to be up and running correctly?

After reading all of the post's from the moderators. When can we the members expect the flea market to be up and running correctly?

There are a couple of final configurations that need to be made. I expect it will be Thursday at the latest that I can open up a new Marketplace.

Ted

Back