• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

flea market change

The customer service team from Panjo has answered a bunch of questions already. Just to validate a few of their responses and let you know where we are headed.

There are no fees to the member, the buyer, seller or the MOA. This is a completely free service and Panjo obviously invested in our organization with infrastructure, support, etc. Is there money in this for them? Absolutely! They make money by convincing you to list other items in other categories, for example fishing poles or drum sets. Their goal is prove the value of the marketplace and list more items, more categories, etc. However, listing within our community will always be free. There is no plan to change that.

I believe they make money off a Paypal or credit card transaction as well, but checkout through their system is optional, even if it feels like you have to go that route. They also offer some additional protections and the ability to conduct a sale quickly with credit card checkout. Again, this is an optional feature that you can choose to use or leave behind.

The system is open to non members IF they were to find the Panjo.com website on their own. They cannot come through our forum and list or search without MOA usernames/passwords, which is where the majority of the traffic comes form. For listings, we are currently moderating out non member items. If you want to list, you have to be a member. The ability for non members to see your item and potentially buy as a non member has it advantages and disadvantages. The goal is to sell your item and more eyeballs can be a good thing. Should you be more cautious if selling to a non member? Possibly, and there is on going discussion about how this should be handled going forward. No decision yet on if it should be more tightly regulated, but the current state is to be member only for buying and selling.

The search functionality is a function of getting to know how Panjo drives search strings. jconway607 and I already discussed this on Friday of last week. Some of the hard work is done for you. The category listings along the left hand navigation page already separate motorcycles by riding style. Searching dual sport/adventure machines or sport touring is easy if you simply navigate to those categories. K75 is a little different since they can be in several different styles, but we have been placing standard K75's in the Standards category and last week we added a category for "Older K bikes", which i believe is a function of jconway607's complaint. We are looking at revising those categories with the new layout to make this even easier and more obvious.

Additionally, I find the search feature works better if you change the filter from the default "Newest" to "Relevant." This will key in on the search word rather than the latest postings. It is also important to note that the old system, prior to Panjo, search was a major problem. In fact it didn't search at all. The same is true for the vBulletin forum, which was one of the decision factors not to build the Marketplace strictly within the forum.

With the Panjo product, we have a much richer search functionality. It may take some refinement and education on our part to determine the best method to use it, but it will actually search and at a far better rate than what we had previously. Panjo has offered to build additional search features year, model, etc. if we can define that for them and we will explore this. I expect we can do a much better job of making searches easy for you in the coming weeks.

What about the future? Is Panjo ideal for the MOA? No - Period - not ideal given our constraints. Ideal would be our very own platform, on our site, that authenticates with our username and passwords, gives us total control and the ability to migrate to new platforms as technologies change. Now you can start talking about $$$$ and cost to the MOA. We have taken an off the shelf resource and made it work at some level without any cost to the MOA or the members. We can argue the "work at some level" statement, but we are playing the free cards we are dealt.

None of what is being discussed falls on deaf ears. I am the lucky guy that gets to try and make this work and I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't work ideally the way I would like for it to. As I told jconway607 on Friday, our goal is to take the system and try t make it function the way members want to use the system and meet our unique criteria. We can get close to that, but it takes a little time and honestly it takes people using the system and learning how you prefer to interact. For the record, I have received emails this week from members who have had good experiences and like the new format. I can also tell you that both listings and sales are twice as high with Panjo compared to the system prior to November 2013. If we are being fair, there are some very positive benefits of Panjo, such as the search strings, mobile views, cost, etc.

I'm good with the discussion and critical feedback. Issues aren't always solved as quickly as you would like, but I do think we listen and work diligently to find a solution. Most of what has been mentioned has been addressed or discussed with Panjo already and I think solutions are coming. Panjo is listening as well and I am sure our Board is lurking as this topic is very interesting to them. You are always welcome to contact me directly and calling Panjo support at 424-272-0291 or emailing support@panjo.com can get immediate help to specific issues.

Ted

Odd, I just looked at my ad and Panjo or some one from another world has raised the price $237. What a bunch of garbage.
Anyone who is interested should contact me via PM for the lower and original price.
If Panjo doesn't like this, they can feel free to nuke my ad.

Which item and what should be the correct price?

T

Additionally, I find the search feature works better if you change the filter from the default "Newest" to "Relevant." This will key in on the search word rather than the latest postings. It is also important to note that the old system, prior to Panjo, search was a major problem. In fact it didn't search at all.
Ted

Okay, Ted. I just went to the site. Would you please enlighten me as to where the "Relevant" title is? Because if you look at the sub-categories, there are six of them listed and the term "Relevant" isn't one of them. What am I missing?

Could I see a show of hands of those who thought the old system, "....didn't search at all."

Okay, Ted. I just went to the site. Would you please enlighten me as to where the "Relevant" title is? Because if you look at the sub-categories, there are six of them listed and the term "Relevant" isn't one of them. What am I missing?

Could I see a show of hands of those who thought the old system, "....didn't search at all."

Above the first item, the default filter is "Newest." Change this to "Relevance" and you get K75 in the title that pops to the top of the page.

The search in the system previous to Panjo - go back to the Flea Market on the website prior to November 2013 and that search functionality was broken. It would not return key word searches in the motorcycle categories.

k75.jpg

Automatic Price Change?

I just checked and there's a year 2000, R1100S listed for $5,767.56. The seller must have had a really sharp pencil when he figured out what he wanted for his bike. Oh, but hang on, in the body of the ad, the seller is asking $5,600. Why the discrepancy?

Thanks for your comments and help with the Panjo mess

Above the first item, the default filter is "Newest." Change this to "Relevance" and you get K75 in the title that pops to the top of the page.

The search in the system previous to Panjo - go back to the Flea Market on the website prior to November 2013 and that search functionality was broken. It would not return key word searches in the motorcycle categories.

View attachment 51730

I agree the classified system we had several years ago left a lot to be desired.

When the powers that be decided to use an outside vendor for our flea market I do not remember any discussion with the membership group as to what we thought.

Granted most of us are not tech savvy enough to understand how it works anyway we are left with finding out after it has been implemented.

I still have a real problem with our private classified member to member being outsourced to another group,whether it is free or not.

Why not have a link to connect us to eBay also or amazon it is the same thing.

So with that said why don't we quit pretending that we have an MOA flea market for members when we do not, we have a link to Panjo market place where you can buy anything from tooth paste to a weather balloon.

The real question is who if anyone is smart enough and willing to spend untold hours to come up with our own and maintain it.
I feel this is the real reason behind outsourcing this very well used aspect of our club,nobody really wants to deal with it.
I certainly am not smart enough to do it plus I do not want to be blamed when it gets screwed up.
I know there are other places we can advetise our kit and make it go away for free such as ADV Riders IBMWR marketplace they work great and you have a direct contact with the seller or buyer
So we maybe should send our members there with our blessing and move on with other club stuff.
I think we have one of the best forums out there and always have very qualified people willing to chime in and help out fellow member when the need arises

I want to thank all you that run the club and put up with all our complaints and Gripes
Thanks again for listening
Dave

I just checked and there's a year 2000, R1100S listed for $5,767.56. The seller must have had a really sharp pencil when he figured out what he wanted for his bike. Oh, but hang on, in the body of the ad, the seller is asking $5,600. Why the discrepancy?

I believe it is the addition of credit card processing fees to the selling price.

My 2005 Boxer Cup Replika. I advertised for sale at $8000. Price shown is now higher. I can assure you that I didn't raise the price.

Thanks.

The price shown is your price plus credit card fees should the buyer choose to "Buy It Now" so that you still receive the $8,000 asking price. The buyer would have to click the button, submit payment and then the listing would end. I'll speak with Panjo about possible work around, but there would be a couple of options. A) List in your ad that the price is $8,000 and explain the Buy It Now price include CC fees. Or, B) list the price in Panjo as 7,677.75 and adding fees will make the price $8,000. If you choose B, be aware that your price to you would be the lesser amount if the buyer pays with a credit card. (I know you didn't want to hear that! Only a suggestion :))

Odd, I just looked at my ad and Panjo or some one from another world has raised the price $237. What a bunch of garbage.
Anyone who is interested should contact me via PM for the lower and original price.
If Panjo doesn't like this, they can feel free to nuke my ad.

Marty - when I go to your profile page I see one listing:

http://www.panjo.com/profile/martyhill

What is the $237 listing in question?

This may or may not be the case: The old system had a separate listing and shipping price. The current system just has a single price that includes shipping. We are ~2 weeks away from releasing a ton of tools related to shipping. (calculations, preprinted labels) Those tools weren't ready by last week.

View attachment 51730

If you go to the marketplace:
http://www.panjo.com/p/bmw-motorcycle-owners-of-america
The default sort is "newest" (relevance is not yet a sort option because you haven't yet done a search)
If you do a search for K75, the default search is "newest", you can change this to Relevance - which means the relevance of the results to the search you did... as opposed to Relevance secondary to "Newest"

Marty - when I go to your profile page I see one listing:

http://www.panjo.com/profile/martyhill

What is the $237 listing in question?

This may or may not be the case: The old system had a separate listing and shipping price. The current system just has a single price that includes shipping. We are ~2 weeks away from releasing a ton of tools related to shipping. (calculations, preprinted labels) Those tools weren't ready by last week.

why don't we quit pretending that we have an MOA flea market for members when we do not, we have a link to Panjo market place where you can buy anything from tooth paste to a weather balloon.
Dave

If you go to the marketplace:
http://www.panjo.com/p/bmw-motorcycle-owners-of-america
The default sort is "newest" (relevance is not yet a sort option because you haven't yet done a search)
If you do a search for K75, the default search is "newest", you can change this to Relevance - which means the relevance of the results to the search you did... as opposed to Relevance secondary to "Newest"

Ah, now I've got it. So I go into the search, then after I get the results of that search, then I go back in and change the parameters of what I am searching for. Well that makes perfect sense. Why couldn't I have seen that. And as an added bonus, after I see the K75's that I was looking for, (or the K100s, etc) the search engine tacks on 57 airheads to display also. This will be handy. I often like to buy two bikes at the same time. Then later I figure out which one to keep.

why don't we quit pretending that we have an MOA flea market for members when we do not, we have a link to Panjo market place where you can buy anything from tooth paste to a weather balloon.
Dave
I am not understanding your being upset by this. Any Member could list a toothbrush or weather ballon for sale- it wouldn't bother me anymore than when I do a Google search and along with exactly what I wanted, I noticed something else I was interested in.
OM

Good point

I am not understanding your being upset by this. Any Member could list a toothbrush or weather ballon for sale- it wouldn't bother me anymore than when I do a Google search and along with exactly what I wanted, I noticed something else I was interested in.
OM

You make a good point.

I am done with this discussion I am sure everyone knows my feelings on the subject.
Again let me say thanks to all you very intelligent folk who manage this site and our club and get so little in return.

Dave

You make a good point.

I am done with this discussion I am sure everyone knows my feelings on the subject.
Again let me say thanks to all you very intelligent folk who manage this site and our club and get so little in return.

Dave
Hey, we got some things ironed out :thumb
We all know how the questions are answered and all involved seem to be trying :thumb
Ride safe.
Gary

Ah, now I've got it. So I go into the search, then after I get the results of that search, then I go back in and change the parameters of what I am searching for. Well that makes perfect sense. Why couldn't I have seen that. And as an added bonus, after I see the K75's that I was looking for, (or the K100s, etc) the search engine tacks on 57 airheads to display also. This will be handy. I often like to buy two bikes at the same time. Then later I figure out which one to keep.

Actually, you can narrow your search parameters BEFORE you do your specific search. I just tried it and it works great. I learned something today. :thumb

Now, where did I see that weather balloon.....:D

The alternative was that Panjo read your mind and produce the results you were thinking of. That seemed like too few steps. ;-)

On a serious note - according to the stats most users prefer search results to sort according to recency. Lots of MOA members check the marketplace regularly. Thus, if results defaulted to "relevance" post a keyword search, you might miss a new listing that you want on page one of the search results.

Back