• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

flea market change

Davesbmw

I know this might not be the place to post this but what is up with the flea market changes?
who controls it now?
why the change?
Please move this to the correct place if anyone knows.
Thank
Dave

I know this might not be the place to post this but what is up with the flea market changes?
who controls it now?
why the change?
Please move this to the correct place if anyone knows.
Thank
Dave

My take is Panjo is setting themselves up to get a cut of Paypal fees and the Credit cards. (if not already)
If you want to see a successful time proven flea market go to Adventure Riders.
When you sell/buy something there, it's you and the the other inmate - no interference.
You then have the option to donate to the site if you wish but it is not required.
I can't see why the MOA can't model it.
Bring back the old marketplace if nothing else.
This is a paid membership club and we should have some say.

When I saw my bike for sale ad going thru them for a fee I stopped watching it. I don't need to pay for help selling anything. Post above noting adv is correct. Have bought and sold many things there.

member marketplace

When I saw my bike for sale ad going thru them for a fee I stopped watching it. I don't need to pay for help selling anything. Post above noting adv is correct. Have bought and sold many things there.

So we still have the member marketplace in the Forum.
What is wrong with that?
Why do we need this Panjo Crap?
Dave

So we still have the member marketplace in the Forum.
What is wrong with that?
Why do we need this Panjo Crap?
Dave
It's sort of a "reflection" of the postings on the Panjo system. I haven't been on Panjo in a while, IIRC, it used to have something like "see what others have to say" or something like that. Again, from memory, that is what you see in the 4 "in forum" categories.
I'm not sure how things are linked up right now.
The Moderators have no control over the Panjo deal.
OM

must be some palms getting greased$$$

It's sort of a "reflection" of the postings on the Panjo system. I haven't been on Panjo in a while, IIRC, it used to have something like "see what others have to say" or something like that. Again, from memory, that is what you see in the 4 "in forum" categories.
I'm not sure how things are linked up right now.
The Moderators have no control over the Panjo deal.
OM

It always comes down to money$$$$$
Some body is making some $$$ with this panjo stuff
thanks for what you guys do as moderators by the way.
Dave

It always comes down to money$$$$$
Some body is making some $$$ with this panjo stuff
thanks for what you guys do as moderators by the way.
Dave

Thanks Dave, it's always good to receive feedback for our efforts.
As for the MOA flea market, I don't know about any specific decisions for the specific change to Panjo. Way back in older versions of the forum software package, we had a very talented Member design into the software at that time, the "old" flea market.
Like a change in XP to 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10, the old custom package would not "keep up" with newer versions of our forum (which is upgraded regular for security and related).
Here we are now with Panjo. I think that it was just beginning to run pretty well and they made a change.
The Panjo group is watching- and trying, to keep things running well. As the Panjo software was specifically written for our VB software, I'm guessing integration was a big part of the decision.
Hang in, we will do all we can.
Gary

I've quit advertising here because of Panjo. Paying to advertise on a site I pay to use was a bridge too far.

I've quit advertising here because of Panjo. Paying to advertise on a site I pay to use was a bridge too far.
I'm not familiar with any fee involved. Could you elaborate?
As I have mentioned, Panjo is watching the threads. Any problems will give them feedback to consider.
TIA
OM

Some of the consternation and or confusion comes from checking out the Panjo website and their FAQ page.

http://www.panjo.com/faq

Are there fees?

Selling on Panjo is easy:
Listing an item for sale is FREE.
When you make a sale, 0% -7% of the final value of the sale will be collected, depending on various factors. Any and all fees will be communicated before you finish posting your item.
Standard PayPal fees apply to cash out.

Do these fees apply to member to member transactions?
Lacking any authoritative answer one would assume the answer is yes. Thus, an advertising for sale electronically on the MOA site, which historically was free, now appears to have fees attached to it. The potential benefit of expanded exposure to non members via panjo is very subjective. In the case of genic parts or other items it may be great. However, for BMW specific items the value of the expense escapes me.

I am skeptical that selling on AdvRider is completely FREE. There is no transaction fee for individual deals on the site; however, I have to believe there is a way that the site traffic is monitized in various ways which offset, tangibly or intangibly, the expense of operating the site.

Beyond VBulletin and various technical advantages to using Panjo, does the MOA receive any monetary benefit from transaction fees, if they are charged to member to member transactions? This may be one way to soften the idea of an expense to advertize and sell on the site. My sense is for many it may not.

My take is Panjo is setting themselves up to get a cut of Paypal fees and the Credit cards. (if not already)
If you want to see a successful time proven flea market go to Adventure Riders.
When you sell/buy something there, it's you and the the other inmate - no interference.
You then have the option to donate to the site if you wish but it is not required.
I can't see why the MOA can't model it.
Bring back the old marketplace if nothing else.
This is a paid membership club and we should have some say.

Of note is that ADV went away from VB and is on another forum system now, specifically related to the costs of using VB. I am not in any way displeased with their new system (or their FM).

Some of the consternation and or confusion comes from checking out the Panjo website and their FAQ page.

http://www.panjo.com/faq

Are there fees?

Selling on Panjo is easy:
Listing an item for sale is FREE.
When you make a sale, 0% -7% of the final value of the sale will be collected, depending on various factors. Any and all fees will be communicated before you finish posting your item.
Standard PayPal fees apply to cash out.

Do these fees apply to member to member transactions?
Lacking any authoritative answer one would assume the answer is yes. Thus, an advertising for sale electronically on the MOA site, which historically was free, now appears to have fees attached to it. The potential benefit of expanded exposure to non members via panjo is very subjective. In the case of genic parts or other items it may be great. However, for BMW specific items the value of the expense escapes me.

I am skeptical that selling on AdvRider is completely FREE. There is no transaction fee for individual deals on the site; however, I have to believe there is a way that the site traffic is monitized in various ways which offset, tangibly or intangibly, the expense of operating the site.

Beyond VBulletin and various technical advantages to using Panjo, does the MOA receive any monetary benefit from transaction fees, if they are charged to member to member transactions? This may be one way to soften the idea of an expense to advertize and sell on the site. My sense is for many it may not.
That last that I was informed about was there was no fee to the Members.
Sites that wanted to collect a fee could use the 0% to 7% that Jon mentioned. Pre this recent change, I would have to guess any expense associated with a Panjo experience was absorbed by the club.
When Panjo's Rep chimes in he will be able to clarify that.
OM

Of note is that ADV went away from VB and is on another forum system now, specifically related to the costs of using VB. I am not in any way displeased with their new system (or their FM).
While I don't visit often, I do like the look of the "new" ADV software as it displays on screen.
OM

I'm not familiar with any fee involved. Could you elaborate?
As I have mentioned, Panjo is watching the threads. Any problems will give them feedback to consider.
TIA
OM

The fee to sell my 2013 R1200RT was going to be hundreds of dollars. Sure, the listing was free. I don't even think PayPal will allow a transaction for the amount involved. Using Panjo without PayPal doesn't appear to be an option. I don't like the format, the requirements for payment or the fact that starting an ad in Flea Market places it in the for sale section and vice-versa. The opposite isn't true. Close one ad and the other remains open. I much prefer the AdvRider type options within forums or straight up classified sites. Cycle Trader allowed me to list my RT for free as did Craigslist and various other forums none of which charge me to become a member.

The fee to sell my 2013 R1200RT was going to be hundreds of dollars. Sure, the listing was free. I don't even think PayPal will allow a transaction for the amount involved. Using Panjo without PayPal doesn't appear to be an option. I don't like the format, the requirements for payment or the fact that starting an ad in Flea Market places it in the for sale section and vice-versa. The opposite isn't true. Close one ad and the other remains open. I much prefer the AdvRider type options within forums or straight up classified sites. Cycle Trader allowed me to list my RT for free as did Craigslist and various other forums none of which charge me to become a member.
Thanks for the response Kurt. While I have watched the Panjo experience from my hill, there has been a thyme of buyers and selling not being able to communicate........I don't know what the real problem is.
This is the first that I have heard of having to use PayPal. My only experience with PayPal is anecdotal in the regard to the extra level of protection it affords (?) the buyer if "fffin' something ain't right".
Many of the ads, for bikes, have "local pick-up only so I wouldn't think PayPal is involved.
Panjo has done reasonably well in answering questions along with the person from the MOA who has the real "skinny" on some of these questions. The information from the threads with the questions is being relayed to them.
For a while, we had a "transitional" truly "in forum" flea market that Kurt (20774) created and it was much like the ADV system. As I recall, it was not real well received- especially cuz it revealed that there were a number of Members running what appeared to be a commercial enterprise in the "old" system and the "transitional" system exposed that.
As you have experienced and have seen from the threads, this Panjo/F-M has a lot of facets. Input from the Members will help to make it as good as it can be.
OM

Panjo's FAQ says Panjo charges the seller 7% of the sale price; they collect this by inserting themselves into the transaction and requiring a link to one's bank account. I can understand why Panjo changes - Panjo is a for-profit business. That Panjo offers some kind of "security" or "insurance" is unimportant to me, I've structured my own transactions for decades, and done fine.

All in all, even with pictures, connection to MOA members, and some security, the MOA/Panjo model is not appealing to me. I am far from convinced that I should pay to sell items when other venues (Craigslist, advrider, and the IBMWR Marketplace have been mentioned) don't charge.

Panjo's FAQ says Panjo charges the seller 7% of the sale price; they collect this by inserting themselves into the transaction and requiring a link to one's bank account. I can understand why Panjo changes - Panjo is a for-profit business. That Panjo offers some kind of "security" or "insurance" is unimportant to me, I've structured my own transactions for decades, and done fine.

All in all, even with pictures, connection to MOA members, and some security, the MOA/Panjo model is not appealing to me. I am far from convinced that I should pay to sell items when other venues (Craigslist, advrider, and the IBMWR Marketplace have been mentioned) don't charge.
The way I read things when Panjo was first implemented was that the percentage charge could be between zero and 7%.
That charge would be implemented by the "host" forum......Note, there is no charge that I know of.
How about this-
If you have been involved with Panjo and had/have incurred a charge, post it up. This would be a direct charge from Panjo.
This does not include PayPal, credit card, Western Union, gas money or other miscellaneous charges.
OM

OM,

I haven't sold anything via Panjo, I just signed into Panjo and read its FAQ. The FAQ says they'll charge the seller 7%.

My conclusion could be wrong - Panjo's FAQ may be inaccurate vis-a-vis the MOA - but the stated terms don't make me want to sell something to find out. And if the stated terms aren't correct, I'm reluctant to do business with them because they're not paying attention.

I'll just :lurk to see others' experiences.

Last edited:
OM,

I haven't sold anything via Panjo, I just signed into Panjo and read its FAQ. The FAQ says they'll charge the seller 7%.

My conclusion could be wrong - Panjo's FAQ may be inaccurate vis-a-vis the MOA - but the stated terms don't make me want to sell something to find out. And if the stated terms aren't correct, I'm reluctant to do business with a firm whose FAQs are inaccurate.

I'll just :lurk to see others' experiences.
:thumb
Yep, it's the internet where much is murky- that why I thought I'd ask for specifics.
OM

Back