• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First ride - 08 GT

MCMXCIVRS

More toys than space
:dance

Finally got the new (to me) GT out for a ride; went up to see my mom and have coffee and lunch together. That in itself was nice, but the ride was great after a very long winter and to finally get the feel for the bike that I've had sitting in the garage for nearly two months. I think I really am going to enjoy this bike.

Comparisson to my 94 R1100RS:

- The GT is more upright riding position which I knew and was one big reason for getting it. No more shoulder and neck pain (darn injuries).
- The GT's steering is much lighter and quicker than the RS which suprised me since its a heavier machine and some of the ride reports led me to believe it was going to be less nimble (must have been sport bike riders doing the reviews).
- The GT has lots more power and is sooooooo smooth. The RS seems more torquey off the bottom end, but the amount of power the GT has makes it pretty much a wash from the line. The GT though just pulls forever whereas the RS runs out of revs earlier.
- The higher revs of the GT at highway speed had me checking that I was in fact in top gear, not because it was buzzy or anything, I'm just not used to that high of a tach reading. Never owned an inline four engine bike ever and only ever rode a couple and only briefly at that.
- Shifting the GT is much lighter and smoother than on the RS, though it's not quite as seamless as my F800GS. The old RS shifts like a tractor by comparrison.
-The GT seems more nervous on the highway in the crosswind I had on the way home. I suspect that's in part due to the quicker steering.
- All the bells and whistles on the GT are going to be nice on long trips, particularily the cruise control and the ESA.

I was feeling a bit unsure if getting the GT was the right decision, I really liked my RS and was so familiar with it. Plus, I was quite partial to the boxer engine, but have never cared for the RT which was the only boxer that might have fit my new comfort needs. Now that I have had a taste of the GT, I am confidant that I will be enjoying it for many years and kilometers. :thumb

Welome to the Dark Side! Be safe, watch out for the Boys in Blue, the wind protection of the GT and smooth running inline four make it difficult to stay within the posted limits at times. Riding buddy of mine traded his HD for an '08 GT, loves it. I'll stick with my "S" for now, the lack of wind protection lets me know how fast I'm going, helps remind me I don't want any performance awards................ :whistle

Congratulations on the GT!
I just picked up an '08 GT a few months ago and love it.

A couple of things:
You said the GT feels "nervous" in a highway crosswind. I've read on this and other forums that this feeling might be attributed to your tires. If you have any appreciable wear in the center (if it's at all flattened or squared off), the ridge at the edge of the wear area makes the bike "twitchy". There are some discussions about dual compound tires (and other tires) for the GT, and I found a lot of good info there. I came from riding a '92 K75S, and the difference I noticed in crosswind conditions is this: on the K75s, a stiff crosswind would push the bike over (as you would expect) requiring you to lean into the wind. On the GT, it seems as if the crosswind pushes on the bike from much lower. Instead of the wind leaning the bike, it seems (to me) to be pushing the bike out from under the center of gravity. Sort of like it's keeping the rider (me) in the same position as the bike dances around in the wind. I just let it do its thing most of the time.

You also mentioned that the GT is surprisingly nimble. I have to agree 100%! Even though it outweighs the K75s by over 100 pounds, it steers and feels LIGHTER. It has a lower center of gravity and feels (to me) to be much nimbler than my venerable K75s. I may actually sell the K75s after swearing over and over that I would never let it go.

I also installed a set of Verholen bar risers on my GT. That little one-inch difference totally eliminated fatigue in my lower back (I'm 6'0"). I ride very relaxed now.
And I also bought the Aeroflow windscreen and side guards. I get on the freeway and raise the shield about 1-2 inches...and enjoy the "cone of silence". The stock screen is pretty good, but my first GT (an '06) came with the Aeroflow and I loved it. When I bought the '08, I really missed the Aeroflow. So I splurged and put it on the newer bike.

As John mentioned, the GT can easily reach triple digits without even working hard. It just keeps accelerating! So be careful...

Enjoy it, I sure am!
Rob

Rob, your description of the crosswind effect is pretty accurate to what I noticed. The tires are nearly new Michelin PR2s so no issues with them. Its just that the wind gusts seem to affect the bike more apparently than on my RS. It is probably just a combination of the larger sail effect of the GTs bigger body panels and the lighter quicker steering emphasising things. I also have a 28L top box on the GT which I never had on the RS. Not really a problem, just something to get used to.

I was pretty happy with the stock screen. I don't mind a bit of air flow as long as its smooth which it was. I tried moving it up and down through the range, but was most happy with it at the lowest position. I was getting a bit of a whistle in my helmet, an older Shoei RF1100 but I'm looking at a Schuberth C3 to replace it anyway.

I did manage to keep the speed respectable through use of the cruise control, but I can certainly see how it could get up there quickly without being fully aware of it. :dunno

There's no question the amount of surface area on the fairings acts like a sail, not just on the windward side of the bike. Most people feel sails move boats because of the direct pressure against them. In reality it's the negative pressure on the back side of the sail (suction) that creates the most force. I've been racing boats for a long time and riding the GT there is no question I notice the amount of freeboard the bike has definitely makes crosswinds more noticeable. Wait until you pass a tractor trailer in heavy crosswinds. :dunno: Without cruise control this missile would definitely have me behind bars.

Enjoy! -Dennis

There's no question the amount of surface area on the fairings acts like a sail.

Bingo!

I should say, I have noticed crosswind differences between my '07 RT, which has fairings and "sail potential" and my F8ST in similar conditions which has performed much better.

Last edited:
Wait until you pass a tractor trailer in heavy crosswinds. :dunno:

Did that. For the next one, I chose to pass in the right lane on the upwind side to avoid the turbulence. Its good when you have three lanes with one empty one to either side. :evil

Hey Ed, I think everybody was out on Sunday, getting in a quick run before the next snowfall (tomorrow).

On the crosswind reaction, I just read on the Ducati Sport Touring site, that the top case makes a big difference.

Enjoy!

Back