• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Finally Finished! BMW R1200 Series Maintenance DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimvonbaden

Kool Aid Dispenser!
I am happy to announce that the BMW R1200 Maintenance DVD is finally done!!!!

The video covers all of the following categories, and is designed to allow you to complete all the requirements for maintaining your bike to BMW specifications. It is designed for ALL R1200 series motorcycles (Not including the R1200 cruisers), though it is centered around the R1200GS since that is what I have, and was available for filming.

1. Removing Gas Tank
2. Changing the Oil
3. Replace the Transmission Fluid
4. Changing the Final Drive
5. Valve Adjustment
6. Air Filter Change
7. Brake Bleeding, servo-ABS system
8. Replace Alternator Belt
9. Fuel Tank Install
10. Fault Code Read
11. Throttle Body Sync
12. Miscellaneous Checks

I have included the necessary tools, supplies and torque specifications to complete all the listed services. I have also added many helpful tips and notes to make this as simple as possible.

Consider this, the tool to remove and install the alternator belt is nearly $150, I teach you how to do it with no special tools, a savings of $125 right there!

A typical 6K service will run you around $300-450, depending on location. The brake bleed alone can run as high as $400.

What I did not include, since I felt they were self explanatory, was how to check your oil, tires, and lights. I also did not include how to check spoke wheels since I did not have a spokes wheel bike available, they will be available on the Companion DVD.

The DVD should assist those of you on the fence in deciding you CAN do these expensive services yourself, and save money for those all important farkles, and gas for riding!

Those of you with 1100/1150 BMW R series bikes can also benefit from this video in that most of the service items are done the same way, and with the same tools.

Some items, like Alternator belt changing, non-servo-brakes, and final drive fluid changes are different, and will be covered in the upcoming BMW R Series Companion DVD. This DVD will also cover the addition of various farkles like Jesse bags, a Blue Seas./Centech Fuse Box, and many other accessories like GPS and XM radios.

It took slightly more work than I thought it would, 30 hours of shooting video, and 150 hours of editing it, plus a lot of hassle trying to get it formatted to a clean copy, but it is done.

The DVDs are available for $25 plus $2 shipping to the continental US, $3 to Canada and $5 for Western Europe. E-mail me, or PM me for other locations.

I will accept Paypal at JimVonBaden@msn.com, this is my preferred method of payment and my e-mail address. I will also accept money orders, and personal checks. PM, or E-mail me, for instructions.

The DVD will be available for shipping in approximately 10 days. It is taking a little longer because it is being produced into a master pressed format like a store bought movie which should be viewable on most DVD formats (NTSC), as well as virtually any lap-top computer. Many top line DVD players in Europe also play this format, though it is the North American Standard. See this link for locations in which this DVD will definitely work.

Here are a few samples:

FD-speed-sensor-hole.jpg

computer-1.jpg

01-ABS-unit-02-marked.jpg

ReadFaultcode.jpg

R1200_Motorcycle_Maintenancevalveto.jpg

Kity-Tankless2.jpg

Here is a short, very low quality video clip. The real DVD has good quality video. Though, keep in mind that though I am a professional trainer this is my first ever video for publication, so there are a few small errors in it.

Thanks you all for your support of this effort, especially Mr. Happy for getting the ball rolling! I hope it is worth the effort, and not only saves you money, but helps you to be more independent in doing your own work.

Jim (AKA Jim Von Baden) :brow

Looks like it will be very helpful, Jim. Are you and Tina coming to the Rounders gathering? If so, you might want to pack a few to bring along.

After discussing this with our Forum Moderation team, I have decided that this thread needs to be closed be cause it is entering into the area of commercial use.

I am completely aware that we don't have a policy in place yet, but we are working on one that we hope everyone will find fair and as flexible as possible.

Ian Schmeisser
Forum Liaison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back