• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

final drive failure-09 1300 GT

mro

My final drive failed on my 09 1300 GT on a recent CA trip. 21,000 miles on the bike. Dealer maintained. Anyone else had problems. Santa Rosa BMW took care of the warrenty covered issue in less than 48 hrs. Hats off to them. BMW's form letter response to me said " During the life of a vehicle, it is natural to expect that some parts have to be replaced due to mechanical failures" I think translated that means "tough $%^#"

Plenty of documented final drive failures on the K bikes, you'd think they'd have it figured out by now, but appearently they dont. My '05 K12S has 30k on it, I'm in the wait and see mode, wondering when it will implode as it is way out of warranty, but I love the bike, so won't be trading it for a Honda or anything else anytime soon. When it breaks, I'll fix it, it will be the next challenge for my wrenching skills.............

My '08 K12S always had some kind of film occur in hot weather on the rear wheel surface. It was slightly greasy, very sparse, but still made me wonder where it came from. The drive oil seal areas were always dry. I finally figure it is some of the sealed big bearing grease. The big bearing is not in the oil bath, but sealed and outside the drive. I think from the sparse amount, no worries, but makes me think.

Back