• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650 How long do they last...

J

john832

I am considering getting a used 650 and what is too many miles? I assume that these motors (not BMW) do not have the same reputation as the others put out by BMW?

Rotax's aircraft reliability

I was chatting with my favorite Beemer sales buddy (Karl Wagner at Bob's BMW) about that very topic this morning.

He pointed out that BMW has been using Rotax engines for about a decade now with no reliability issues and I'm guessing BMW chose Rotax as a supplier out of more than Teutonic loyalty. Like the BMW Boxer, the Rotax bike engine has evolved from a very rugged aircraft powerplant. I'm a pilot involved with the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and am thus aware of the very excellent reputation Rotax engines have in light aircraft use.

My wife owns a four-year-old F650CS which runs flawlessly and I'm considering the purchase of an F800S or ST with no qualms about the Rotax motor. I consider it a benefit.

Now, maybe a Rotax powered Beemer won't survive as long as my aged K75S has, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did.

Hi, I own an '05 and am approaching 18,000 miles. Fun to ride, you won't regret it. I'm getting close to the factory expected 78 mpg when I can hold it to 55mph. Around town, I get 60+mpg.

The factory top end is 110. I've hit 100 with no problem for a short burst and there was clearly more in her. I once rode 90 mph for 1.5 hours with no problem and believe it'll run all day at that speed. But, fuel consumption dropped to 44mpg at that speed.

You can't beat the anti-lock brakes and the bike is very manueverable and handles well. There are no leaks of any kind and to answer your direct question, I've heard of some already at 200,000 miles without the engine being opened. Have to change the fluids like any engine. I'm changing oil every 3,000 miles but factory is 6,000.

You'll find more information on the www.f650.com web site. I can't tell you which of my Beamers I like better but each has their own purpose.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Do you know of anyone with 30,000 or more? I am looking at a bike with 26K!

I am considering getting a used 650 and what is too many miles? I assume that these motors (not BMW) do not have the same reputation as the others put out by BMW?

I was chatting with my favorite Beemer sales buddy (Karl Wagner at Bob's BMW) about that very topic this morning.

He pointed out that BMW has been using Rotax engines for about a decade now with no reliability issues and I'm guessing BMW chose Rotax as a supplier out of more than Teutonic loyalty. Like the BMW Boxer, the Rotax bike engine has evolved from a very rugged aircraft powerplant. I'm a pilot involved with the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and am thus aware of the very excellent reputation Rotax engines have in light aircraft use.

My wife owns a four-year-old F650CS which runs flawlessly and I'm considering the purchase of an F800S or ST with no qualms about the Rotax motor. I consider it a benefit.

Now, maybe a Rotax powered Beemer won't survive as long as my aged K75S has, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did.

Being a dualsport bike, I'd be more concerned with where those 26k miles took place, rather than how many there are.

If it has been treated well. 26k is nothing.

If it's been thrashed, well...

Definately check out f650.com. Lots of people over there with F650s with many more miles on them. I have a relatively new one with low miles, but it was their glowing respect for the bike that helped me decide to buy it.

Easy to work on, and will last a long time if you take care of it.

"Do you know of anyone with 30,000 or more? I am looking at a bike with 26K!"

My wife's F650CS has about 28K on it which, in BMW terms, is practically brand new.

A trusted BMW mechanic friend says the only thing he's ever had to do to any Rotax engine is "change the oil" and he works for a BIG dealership.

John, that would be an incorrect assumption. :nono
The F650 is indeed a very reliable motor. Mine is still a baby with only 32k miles on it. I had to replace the water pump shaft and seals at around the 20k mile mark. Since the 600 mile service I have not had to adjust the valves. I check them every 6k but its a waste of time. I'm thinking of only checking them every 12k from now on.

Dailyrider on the F650 site has around 180,000 miles on his F650CS with no engine poblems.

If the bike you are looking at is in good shape I wouldn't be bothered at all with the 26k on it. :wave

Last edited:
Voni's is about 42K now with no problems. I expect 100K on these bikes with few problems. Go to the Chain Gang site and pose the question. I'm pretty sure Steve Johnson has over 100K on his. Others too!

The notion that only BMW can build a long lived engine is silly. There are one or two manufacturers that sell gobs of bikes that routinely need overhauls with scant miles on them, but despite that, it is not really the norm.

I assume that these motors (not BMW) do not have the same reputation as the others put out by BMW?

You're right on that one. I've been heavily invovled in the Chain Gang since I bought my '99 new in July of 1999 and in all that time, I haven't heard of a single final drive failure, alternater belt disintigration, or "smart" key lock out. :D

I am considering getting a used 650 and what is too many miles?

Unless you're getting a really good deal, I'd keep looking. One of the best things about F650s is that there seems to be a plethora of very low mile used examples on the market at any given time.

Seriously, WRT your longevity question, any machine will last as long as it's taken care of. F650s are no exception to that rule.

I currently have 33K on mine and the only problem I've exerienced with mine is pitting of the original wheels, which were replaced under warranty. AFAIK, the most common problem with the early bikes (<2000) was the water pump failures. I suspect, but cannot prove, that it had a lot to do with someone putting non-spec coolant in them which contained phosphates and silicates. I've have never used anything but and I'm still on my original water pump. (knocking on wood)
The newer FI models had some issues with surging and stalling early on, but AFAIK, that has been solved. Check the FAQs at www.f650.com

Do you know of anyone with 30,000 or more? I am looking at a bike with 26K!

My '06 has 34,294 miles and is not 2 years old yet. One of the keys is to perform the maintenance yourself. The certified mechs do not ride your bike so they do not have a vested interest in its wellbeing.

Back