• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Exhaust sound

QTreiber

Hello,

I am still searching for an airhead from ~1981-1993 and wonder, how the exhaust sound might have changed within this period.

Is my assumption correct that later airheads are quieter due to noise restrictions?

If yes, would a simple switch to an older exhaust system/muffler (with matching diameter) do the trick?

My ideal exhaust sound is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9d_EcjIqo&feature=related

I hope the link works; you can hear the deep, but not overly loud sound of an R90/6.

Thank you in advance and greetings from Colorado,
Armin

I have an 84 R100RT and I was a bit disappointed in the OEM exhaust note. Now, I am not a fan of overly loud pipes, but I like a motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle, not a sewing machine.

A set of EPCO slip-on mufflers proved just the ticket - a deep, louder but not-TOO-loud exhaust note - not unlike a Norton Commando (I have the same pipes on one of those) - kind of an assertive SNORT if you will.

To each his own.

Hello,

I am still searching for an airhead from ~1981-1993 and wonder, how the exhaust sound might have changed within this period.

Is my assumption correct that later airheads are quieter due to noise restrictions?

If yes, would a simple switch to an older exhaust system/muffler (with matching diameter) do the trick?

My ideal exhaust sound is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9d_EcjIqo&feature=related

I hope the link works; you can hear the deep, but not overly loud sound of an R90/6.

Thank you in advance and greetings from Colorado,
Armin

All the airheads I erver heard run (with stock systems) from the /2's up have never been anywhere near loud enough that they would not pass well below the radar of noise restrictions. The later ones may have been a bit quieter due to adding the cat. converter but it had nothing to do with failing noise requirements. When a stock airhead passes all you really hear is the "cluck" of the tranny when they shift!

RM

Hello,

Believe it or not, riding motorcycles is NOT about making noise.

In any event, BMW will sell you one and only one muffler for any Airhead now, and it's the one with all the emissions engraving.

I parked my R90 under a tree close to the door of the county court house last week. When I came out ready to leave a young guy was standing there admiring it. I talked to him about it, and when I put plugs in my ears he asked, "is it that loud?"

I think he was a little disappointed when it ticked over quietly, but 'ya know - it's a BMW, after all, not an overgrown play toy.

drill now

74-R90S, as was practice many years ago (80s) we kept a fairly quiet bike at a steady throttle, but wide open, a nice roar by drilling out the baffles from the back end. Looks completely stock but can really bark. Since then I've heard criticism of this, for various reasons, but I've never regretted it.

Recently a friend listened after I started it up, held it at open a bit to warm it up, and then racked it open a few times. He said later that he didn't remember BMWs sounding like that!

Also, inside where the baffles weld to outer skin, with the chamber opened up, water condensate is less likely to cause internal rust than if the insides are closed up. Of course this is not likely if you get on and properly bring everything up to temp.

I guess an old bike making some noise is nostalgic, but personally I think it's really cool when a Gold Wing rides by and all I can hear is the tires against the road.

How do they do that?

And how do some riders keep a baseball cap on?

Some kinda glue?

Anyway, I guess I'm pretty happy with Sito brand mufflers.

Here is a silly little clip but you can hear my R100 accelerate away with slightly throatier exhaust note that comes out of Epco sport mufflers. My apologies to those offended by non BMW approved pieces and parts. I still have my OEM pipes hanging in the garage.

Yeah, I left the turn signal on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlp-blBgsI

Here is a silly little clip but you can hear my R100 accelerate away with slightly throatier exhaust note that comes out of Epco sport mufflers.

Dave -

Is this your audition tape to be a part of the Shriner's drill team?? :laugh

The pipes do sound nice...

Exhaust

Believe it or not, riding motorcycles is NOT about making noise.

In any event, BMW will sell you one and only one muffler for any Airhead now, and it's the one with all the emissions engraving.

It is not ALL about making noise. :bolt

Dave, those are the pipes I have too. I love them. My old ones went to another enthusiast who put 'em to good use on his Beemer. We're both happy, so who's to argue?

On the subject of pipes -

Is there any reason (besides cost) not to go with the OEM mufflers during replacement?

I love the quiet sound of these R bikes and I have NO need for anything louder than stock.

I have read several reviews regarding pipes from several manufacturers and they all seem to be so-so (some like them, some don't).

Thanks,

Marley

Dave, those are the pipes I have too. I love them. My old ones went to another enthusiast who put 'em to good use on his Beemer. We're both happy, so who's to argue?
No one is more annoyed than me by the loud pipe crowd but as you know the Epco pipes are not loud pipes at all. They are a fuller tone than the OEM and clone standard pipes but I recognize some folks like the original tone and nothing else will do. For example I happen to like the sound of my stock ST1300 exhausts and would never consider louder or fuller sounding aftermarket pipes. Cycle World described the 1300's whiney sound as that of a "turkey farm".

Here is a silly little clip but you can hear my R100 accelerate away with slightly throatier exhaust note that comes out of Epco sport mufflers.

Great sound! I have kiehne mufflers on my bike, a tad quieter but nice throaty sound. In small neighborhoods its not obnoxious. Rattles my ears a bit when I pull into the parking garage at work, all concrete and lots-o-reverberation.

:german

Back