• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ERC Two Up, why not?

MUSICMAN

I signed up for the ERC before I received the letter saying no passengers....
I spend 3/4 of my time riding two up and believe taking the ERC again as I did 3 years ago but this time two up seems to make a whole lot of sense to me and my very willing passenger who's willing to sign any type of waiver.
When I looked into ERC courses in NYS I would be able to do two up. But then I thought I'd wait until VT, but then I received my confirmation. I can understand no trikes or sidecars because it's a different type of handling, but two up?
Someone please shed some light for me.

Thanks, Andy

This statement is my opinion only, I do not speak for anyone else.

My hunch is that part of this restriction is due to the risk of injury and the challenges that will be presented. I have a hunch that it is to keep variables to a minimum, let the pilot learn the procedures and processes first then when the pilot is comfortable with it add the passenger on their own time.

Now as an MOA Foundation Board Member, Do you think that this is something we should offer?

Could it have anything to do with the 2-up experience level of the instructors? If they don't ride that way, they can't be expected to teach it. ????

dancogan said:
Could it have anything to do with the 2-up experience level of the instructors? If they don't ride that way, they can't be expected to teach it. ????

That makes sense. I recall seeing two up riders taking the course in Lima last year. They showed up two up. I assume they took the course together.

Still waiting

I'm still hoping to hear from the course teachers about 2 up at erc but have heard nothing.

Andy

I believe that they're sticking to the MSF curriculum and I've never heard of a curriculum that entails two up riding.

I could be wrong, I frequently am....

ERC two up

You're wrong KBasa, there is such an animal. The two up classes I have dealt with involve the whole class being two up, including the Instructor/RC. :)

Friedle

Is this a case of they put together the program they were asked to and no one asked them to do a 2 up part of the program?

You could always call Marilyn at the office or Rick from the number he put on the flyer and they can answer your questions probably.

The MSF ERC Suite is designed to support 2-up riding by some or all the participants. In CT the instructor has the option to allow passengers if the rider demonstrates adequate skills (we usually have them run the first exercise solo to see how they do). I'll be instructing at the rally, and just wanted to add what I know regarding what the curriculum supports. As far as the ERC at the rally, Rick is the final word on the matter and what he says goes. There may be site layout, liability or other issues involving the VT Rider Education Program that won't support riding 2-up. You can be certain Rick has considered all the factors and made a well reasoned decision to only allow solo riders.

Either way, I hope to see you on the range!

Last edited:
moa article in june

I hate to be a pest :dance but I just read the June moa article on the ERC again and it says nothing about not allowing two up.

I wish I had known that passengers weren't allowed before I sent my fee in, even though I know it's good to take the course again. However I would have put the $40 towards and ERC in NYS where I know I can do two up. I sent an email to Rick 2 weeks ago and never received a response. I would love to be able to demonstrate my ability and let them make the call whether or not they would allow my very willing passenger.

Pscyhed for the rally.

Andy

Have my answer and....

Ok, I was emailed that the reason for no two up riders is because of insurance.

A few things, please next time make it clear in the add that two ups, trikes, side cars and trailers are not allowed if thats the case.

Yes to Bradford Ben, I think it would be great to offer a two up erc course at future rallies, maybe put an earlier registration out there and see if it flies to at least cover one full session.

Now for the kicker after all this, my nephew's Babe Ruth baseball team has advanced to the B.R. world series in Springboro, Ohio starting this Wed-Fri, if they win they move onto Sat, maybe Sun and possibly championship game on Monday...(Go Bethlehem, NY! :usa, I would be there for that one )

If I decided to go early and miss my class at noon on Thurday is there a way to recoup or better yet pass on and recoup my rally fee for two and my course on Thursday? VT is not flat but it sure would easier if the clocks were turned back a year and then I could easily to both!

All in all thank you MOA for offering an ERC course at a great fee!

Andy

Back