• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A review of two motorcycle jacks: Eastbound Motorcycle Hoist and MotoBikeJack

Eastbound Motorcycle Hoist
MotoBikeJack

I thought I would offer a review of two motorcycle jacks: the Eastbound Motorcycle Hoist, and the MotorBikeJack. I offer this as a bit of a connoisseur of motorcycle jacks given my gift for dropping my R1250GS. Let me describe these:

-The Eastbound Motorcycle Hoist is made in the Netherlands. It is a beautiful bit of kit. Nicely machined aluminum tubes, held together with aluminum spacers that incorporate thin O rings. The tolerances are very tight, sometimes making it tough to get the tubes together with the internal air pressure pushing them apart. Assembled it is a tall unit with a pivot at the top. You attach the strap to the handlebar grip to lift the bike. It comes in a compact canvas case.

-The MotorBikeJack is U.S. made, heavy steel tubes which fit together somewhat loosely. It has a broad steel base and comes in what can only be described as a canvas shopping bag. It has a larger ratchet and a strap with a plastic coated hook on the end which you attach to a tube or footpeg. It is a little over a pound heavier than the Eastbound.

So if you are deciding based on quality, weight, and compactness, then the Eastbound wins. However the goal is to pick up fallen bikes. I have used each three times, and for me the MotoBikeJack has been the clear winner. When you are in the dirt on the side of the road the loose tolerances and broad base of the MotoBikeJack work better. The tight tolerances of the Eastbound don’t work so well covered with dirt. Hooking into the footpegs is a stronger and more consistent way to lift the bike. The last time I lifted my bike using the strap around a grip with the Eastbound, I damaged my heated grip and had to spend over $200 to get it fixed. It might be a different story with a lighter bike, but not with a GS.

Today after failing to lift my bike which was lying downhill on a gravel road I replaced the Eastbound in my pannier with the MotoBikeJack.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 608
Have had a motobikejack for going on 3 years now. Used it once, when I dropped the bike in the garage at 3am [ forgot to put the stand down ]. It just laid itself gently on the head protection. If it hadn't been in the middle of the night, I could have asked a neighbor to help me upright it but I wasn't going to ring doorbells at that hour.

This was the 2016 RS, and I couldn't get the bike back up without possibly injuring my back due to lack of space to the wall. Got the jack out, 2 minutes and the bike is standing up again on it's side stand.

Worth every penny spent on that jack IMO.

Back