• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Driveshaft question

kbasa

Hey all,

I've got an old style swingarm and have a new style driveshaft with the damper. Will the new style shaft fit in the old style swingarm?

Thanks!

no, the better mod is the old shaft in the newer swingarm

I believe Matt Parkhouse had an article on the ON within the past 18 months regarding this. He was refurbing his /5 (I think) before his trip across the Atlantic...it could have been longer than 18 months ago...

Hey all,

I've got an old style swingarm and have a new style driveshaft with the damper. Will the new style shaft fit in the old style swingarm?

Thanks!

Maybe, its close. I have tried this with several combinations and some had clearance, some did not. There seems to be some variety in the old sytyle swingarms.

I'd look for a newer/stronger matching swingarm if I needed to use the newstyle driveshaft. Used swingarms are cheap.

KBasa -

From MOA ON, July 2005, Matt Parkhouse...he says "...you cannot put, say a driveshaft from 1983 into a swingarm from 1980 or before." It has to do with the dimensions of the swingarm and some changes in the cush-drive driveshaft. However, Matt went on to say that if you have access to a machine shop, you can mill down a later version driveshaft to create the two flat spots that allow passage into the older swingarm. He did it for an R75/5 he was rebuilding.

So, it's not a direct swap, but with some machining, it can be done.

BTDT and it fits with a little machining help. If you do go with the cush drive, you might want to replace the spring. If it came out of a thrashed G/S, the springs can lose a bit of tension. Not a big deal for Marin to do..about a 10 minute job. You can tell if the spring is shot when you accelerate hard from a stop and you can feel a slight catch in the driveline as the 2 shoulders ride up on each other and then fall back into place.

Back