• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ilium Works -30-800BL, REAR GUARD BARS Rubbing on Swingarm Driveshaft of 2023 R1250RT

I purchased on 11/22/2022 and installed Ilium Works Rear Guard Bars on my 2023 BMW R1250RT and they are rubbing on the Differential Swingarm Driveshaft, see picture attached. I think it occurred when I crossed over railroad tracks. I emailed John to ask him, what can you do about this? Very disappointed in the product damaging a new BMW R1250RT 2023.

Attachments

• JPEG.jpg
    JPEG.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I noticed the same issue on my 2020 RT last month. I emailed and called the number on the website. Turns out John sold the business earlier this year and the new owners are trying to get things set up and going. I actually talked to someone who said he was going to check into the issue and call me back, but he never did. Emails are also going unanswered.

I noticed the same issue on my 2020 RT last month. I emailed and called the number on the website. Turns out John sold the business earlier this year and the new owners are trying to get things set up and going. I actually talked to someone who said he was going to check into the issue and call me back, but he never did. Emails are also going unanswered.

Did you remove the Rear Guard Bars?

Did you remove the Rear Guard Bars?

No I haven't, although I have not been able to ride much lately.

See this thread concerning this issue that was noticed in 2020. Supposedly Illium redesigned the bracket to avoid this issue. I assumed I would have gotten the new bracket, but I must have gotten old stock since I ordered from a bmw dealer instead of direct with Illium.

I want them to send me the updated bracket, but so far, no luck.

I have them on my 2016. I rode for a couple of years on the original design with no issues. The more I rode canyons and in a more "spirited" fashion, the more I started to notice a mark similar to yours on my swingarm. A year or so ago I got the updated bracket (they sent it for free at the time) and installed it and apparently, it is bent a couple more degrees.

I don't think that I'm still having contact, although I'm not sure of that because I used touch up paint on my swingarm and I'm not sure if what I"m seeing is the touch-up paint or additional marks on there.

Frustrating for sure. Good luck!

This problem was noted on earlier wetheads and could be researched by those interested. There were enough complaints that Ilium manufactured a replacement mounting plate and provided it free to those who complained, including me. It seemed to solve the problem, as the index mark I placed on the drive shaft housing remains intact after many thousands of miles. Before receiving the revised part, I spent some time with a grinder and modified the original piece, which also solved the problem. The interference is tiny, but will mar the finish.

No I haven't, although I have not been able to ride much lately.

See this thread concerning this issue that was noticed in 2020. Supposedly Illium redesigned the bracket to avoid this issue. I assumed I would have gotten the new bracket, but I must have gotten old stock since I ordered from a bmw dealer instead of direct with Illium.

I want them to send me the updated bracket, but so far, no luck.

I purchased mine on 11/22/22 so I thought I should have received the redesigned Rear Guard Bars.

Back