• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Daytona Road Star boots or Dianese Fulcrum C2?

kurmugin

Krmugin
Hello,

I am in need of new boots, as the rainy season approaches. I've been trying to research a little, and have (I think) narrowed my search down to the Daytona Road Star or the Dianese Fulcrum C2 boots. I want to have a good amount of protection, but shy away from boots like the Sidi Adventure Goretex, because I often wear my boots all day and don't want to be squeaking around that much. I need a boot that can hold up to some walking, and my Alpinestars soles have worn smooth long before the rest of the boot due to the amount of walking that I do in my boots.

I'm new to riding, having just started last summer, but I've got over 15K miles on two different RTs. Where I live in CA, we rarely get cold enough when it rains to get ice or snow, so I can ride pretty much all year 'round. If any of you have experience with either of these boots, I am grateful for you to share.

I am not familiar with those particular models, but the Fulcrum got excellent reviews on Revzilla. Seems like you enjoyed and got a lot of use out of your previous Alpinestars...why not consider another pair? I recently got their new Web Gore-Tex Boots and love 'em! They are very comfortable and even though I don't wear them all day as you might, I could see that not being a problem. Good luck with your search.

20140921_173049.jpg

Not familiar with the boots you've mentioned, but I've been looking at Sidi On-Road GoreTex boots.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-on-road-gore-tex-boots

A buddy has a pair. He rides his BSA Lightning (1972) all over the country Iron Butt Style. With his auxiliary tank strapped to his pillion seat, he has almost a 600 mile capacity.
This spring he wore his Sidi On-Roads straight through from Atlanta to Petaluma California to an International BSA Rally and rode darn near continuously until he got back to Atlanta. One day alone was from Amarillo to someplace in Eastern Mississippi- over 800 miles. Once he got home and changed his oil and did some other minimal maintenance, he then got back on his bike, rode from Atlanta to the mountains of Western NC, rode a 250 mile Britbike ride with a bunch of us and then rode home.
Along the way to & from Petaluma, he encountered rain, dust storms, sleet, snow and crazy wind.

Here's his "review" of them, that he told to me when I asked him about them:

"I love me my Sidi's.
Off the shelf comfortable.
Keep me dry. Look Good.
Shift pad on BOTH boots.

I went to Petaluma and back with them. If I'm on a weekend trip I don't pack sneakers - only the boots.

There are two velcro straps that connect with dual slot plastic piece that cinches down. I put the the velcro strap up through the farthest one away from the strap and come back down through the closer second slot. I think this holds the straps down better. It's a bit of a pain to do it this way but I have never had a strap come loose. (was this the problem?)

There is a large velcro flap at the top of the boot. I can tuck my jeans inside and then have my riding pants outside the boot OR tuck my riding pants inside and have my rain gear outside (to keep my pants from wicking water up the leg).

They have never leaked. I would buy them again from Revzilla because they have a great return/satisfaction policy. Before these I had the Tourmaster Rain boots. They sucked. They were cheap and it showed.The reason they work so well is the leather boot you see is only a shell for the Gortex liner on the inside that keeps you dry.

These are expensive but for me worth every penny.

(your results may vary)

C'ya!"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,904
Thanks for the replys. I appreciate the advice.

I would get anothe pair of Alpinestars, but I'm hesitant to get another pair of almost 300 dollar boots again in a year. I think I just walk too much for their soles. I'll have to look into the Sidis

The Daytona Road Star GTX will last more than a year. I bought my first pair about 10 years ago. They've been re-soled several times. I bought a second pair about 5 years ago and was switching back and forth between the two as one went out for new soles. The zippers finally gave up the ghost on one pair and the extra material on the toe for the shifter pulled off on the other pair.

Until quite recently they were the ONLY boot that came in a narrow size option. I've got a skinny foot and a skinnier heel. I can pull many boots off with out unzipping or unfastening them. The narrow version of the Road Star was not only good for riding, they were comfortable for walking. The down side was their cost.

I would have bought a third pair but I found some tourmaster boots that almost fit my feet and were good enough considering they were 1/3 the price of the Daytona Road Star GTX. Waterproof, but not goretex. Another reason for skipping the Daytonas this go around is that I'm a little bit peeved at Helimot. When the zipper failed I brought the boots in to see if they could be repaired. That was a year ago.

I'd really like to try something like the Sidi or the Gaerne. No way they'll fit my feet.

Hey not to send this spinning off into space, but- one word about "waterproof". Everybody has their brand of membrane or applied treatment for what they claim to be waterproof. However- step back a ways and look at the big wide world, look at people whose lives and or livelihoods depend on a sure thing. See what they wear? See what they use?
In almost every instance- UNLESS they are being PAID to wear someone's special product, those who put their lives on the line, those who depend on their equipment to be guaranteed failure free... use GoreTex.

For my own personal money, comfort, and satisfaction... I stand firmly with those in the GoreTex camp. Notice that slowly but surely, just about everyone who does have their own brand of waterproofing, is now also featuring GoreTex products at the TOP of their product lines.

FWIW
I have zero relation to the GoreTex company, nor am I affiliated in any way, shape, or form with them or any of their subsidiaries. I am simply a satisfied customer. It's one product that I absolutely believe in.

YMMV.
Cheers.
Tom

Hey not to send this spinning off into space, but- one word about "waterproof". Everybody has their brand of membrane or applied treatment for what they claim to be waterproof. However- step back a ways and look at the big wide world, look at people whose lives and or livelihoods depend on a sure thing. See what they wear? See what they use?
In almost every instance- UNLESS they are being PAID to wear someone's special product, those who put their lives on the line, those who depend on their equipment to be guaranteed failure free... use GoreTex.

For my own personal money, comfort, and satisfaction... I stand firmly with those in the GoreTex camp. Notice that slowly but surely, just about everyone who does have their own brand of waterproofing, is now also featuring GoreTex products at the TOP of their product lines.

FWIW
I have zero relation to the GoreTex company, nor am I affiliated in any way, shape, or form with them or any of their subsidiaries. I am simply a satisfied customer. It's one product that I absolutely believe in.

YMMV.
Cheers.
Tom

I couldn't agree more. I wish I had purchased my Jacket with a true Gore-Tex outer shell. :banghead

Thanks for the replys. I appreciate the advice.

I would get anothe pair of Alpinestars, but I'm hesitant to get another pair of almost 300 dollar boots again in a year. I think I just walk too much for their soles. I'll have to look into the Sidis

If there is nothing wrong with the upper and you like the boots just get them resoled. I have a pair of BMW boots that I liked that I had resoled 4 times. It is harder and harder to find a good bookmaker but if you can find one the boots will be as good as new (maybe even better because they are already broken in).

I recently got a pair of AXO Freedom GT Waterproof boots on close out - I didn't expect too much for $120 but they have lots of protection, the AXO cable lacing system works really well and they are totally waterproof. Downside is they are a bit stiff compared to my old alpine stars web goretex ( which were a bit too soft) and a bit hot. They are good to walk in, too. Worth considering, IMHO.

I am in need of new boots, as the rainy season approaches. My Alpinestars soles have worn smooth long before the rest of the boot due to the amount of walking that I do in my boots.

If there is nothing wrong with the upper and you like the boots just get them resoled. I have a pair of BMW boots that I liked that I had resoled 4 times. It is harder and harder to find a good bookmaker but if you can find one the boots will be as good as new (maybe even better because they are already broken in).

+1 :thumb

I have been wearing my Alpinestar boots for ten years (and about 130,000+ miles) and am only now considering replacing them. Every two to three years I have them resoled with a hiking sole. They have worked out well as riding as well as a walking boot. I have never had wet feet despite all of the rain that I have ridden through. You might consider having new soles installed as Paladinwest suggests.

I'm a fan of Sidi On Roads. Pricey and I too wear the soles smooth before the uppers give up. I commute to work (office job) and put them on in the morning and wear them all day until I get home. Weekend trips - On Roads. I wear them so much I feel strange wearing street shoes. I have nothing to add to the comments from bmwrider 88's buddy, other than that they can be warm in the summer. When I can't get these resoled any more I'll buy another pair.

Back