• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

dash light always on for turn signals

willyb

I have a new to me 76 R90/6 The fairing has been removed and who ever installed it cut off the front signal stems and reinstalled the signal lights in the fairing so I installed new stems so the front flashers are where they should be. also installed diodes so they work properly. My problem is the dash light for the turn signals has a very faint glow at all times even with the key off. could some one point me in the right direction on tracking down this issue. Also in wiring the front signals I just tagged them on to the wires in the head light bucket as it seemed to be the easiest way.

Sounds like a ground problem...voltage is leaking and getting to the indicator. In most cases, the turn signals ground at the signal and I think that's the way the /6 was wired. When you say "tagged them on to the wires", can you provide more details what you mean?

Turn Signal Indicator Light

It was normal practice to cut the turn signal housing's back then to install a Luftmeister fairing.

The '76 models used plastic turn signal housing's originally so there would have been a hot and ground wire for each L and R signal. (74 models originally grounded via the metal housing through the turn signal stems)

In any case, the glowing light on your dash comes from the relay being energized.
See the schematic here: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wiring-diagram-for-r90-6-anyone.1193319/

At the top, you'll see the turn signal relay (Terminal KBL) going to the Turn Signal dash light.

What happens to the glowing light if you remove the relay?
Why did you install diodes and where did you install them?

RickR90s

I also question the need for diodes. Own a 1975 R90/6 that came with a fairing, also removed and returned to standard front blinkers and incandescent bulbs. All works as it should, followed original wiring diagram. Diodes could be source of problem, especially if one or both are installed backwards.

The front blinker stems that where cut are metal and I replaced them with new metal stems that ground to the frame, I ran the wires into the headlight bucket and attached them to the proper wires. I installed diodes because the new lights where back feeding causing all the flashers to blink at the same time so the blinkers work fine now.
I was just into the headlight bucket today and disconnected my new signal lights but the dash light remained on so I hooked them back up. I removed the flasher relay and that shut off the dash light according to my wiring diagram the blk/wht wire from the flasher feeds the dash light
so if I remove that the dash light would not function as it should.
I also discovered today that the 4 way flasher switch also is slightly glowing which leads me to believe the problem is with the emergency 4 ways but when I disable the switch the flasher light on the dash remains steady on even with the key off on the ignition.
I do all my own work on this bike and the others I own but chasing down electrical problems is not one of my better attributes so any help is much appreciated.

You didn't mention that you had the 4-way flasher option installed. I'd disconnect that and see what happens. As I remember, these units caused a lot of problems during those years.

Is there a wiring diagram showing the flasher unit installation and where in the circuit diodes are placed? Just curious when you mention back feeding.

The fairing was removed before I bought the bike and the front turn signals where not reinstalled it was left with just the cut off stubs with a short wire at the stubs, although the rear signals did work. The fairing came with the bike but do not know how it was originally wired. I assume the four way flash switch was attached to the fairing but was relocated between the handle bar brackets with a hose clamp and looks pretty bad but does work. not sure how it was originally wired or how it is wired currently. I installed the diodes in each of the positive leads to the new front signal wires and they seem to be working as they should. Before I installed the diodes all four lights would flash when the switch was hit in either direction.

Ahhh very good. Looks to me like diode notated as # 4 would be the main suspect. If the diode material is in the process of breaking down (shorting) it is slowly turning into a piece of wire. I think you said you replaced it. make sure in is not installed backwards. If thats not it, what a mess. Think I'd rather build my own then try to fix it. Wish you lived closer, many hours of frustration could be enjoyed trouble shooting it. Could also be a matter of others working on it and not putting together correctly as schematic indicates. One loose wire or wire not connected in correct location and thats it. Looking at Snowbums PDF file wiring diagram may help you. It looks complex, but just look at it and follow one line (wire) at a time and you may find the problem. Perhaps google DIODE to help determine if it is connected correctly. Maybe someone else here can suggest a member in your area with some electronics experience that could help. A multimeter is some what cheap and many sources can help you learn how to use it. The secret is to make the invisible ( is the wire broken) ( is voltage here ) ( is this diode forward or reversed biased). And make it visible ( have continuity wire ok) ( voltage here, thats wrong) (diode is installed reverse biased, thats good).

Good Luck

wire

You DO NOT NEED diodes in the positve wires going to the turn signals at all.

If the four way flashers work properly there is most likely a wire out of place at either the turnsignal relay or elsewhere.

Get a good wiring diagram and trace out the wires.

I had one of these on my 75 R90. THERE ARE NO DIODES IN THE TURN SIGNAL SYSTEM. The light came on the dash all the time just like you are talking about. Pulled the 4/Way off and it was still doing it. Got a new turn signal flasher unit itself and all was fine......Good luck and just follow the schematic one wire at a time as advised above...…….

So diode is part of flasher circuit as shown by snowbum for 1983 model, but no diode is used in earlier flasher circuits? just wanting to clarify for thread starter and my own curiosity. If true, is the wiring diagram for a 70's flasher circuit the same as the one shown by snowbum for an 83 model minus the diode?

Thanks Tucker and Dennis for hanging with me on this problem, I checked all the grounds and other connections and everything seems fine disconnected the four way switch and dash light is still on so maybe as Dennis suggested the flasher unit is bad as this seemed to fix the same problem on his bike but man they are asking a lot of dough for the new flasher relay can I substitute a automotive relay in its place it seems to me I read an article on this topic.
Many thanks again for all the

Tucker I disconnected the newly installed front blinkers but that had no effect on the dash light problem.

Hopefully the flasher unit itself is the culprit. I'll have to defer to one of the folks that have this installed on their bike as to if an automotive unit can work.

Just get the same part number at pretty much any parts house....Bosch is Bosch……….Volkswagen or Mercedes.....it's still Bosch

Problem Solved

I would like to thank Tucker and Dennis once again/ Could not see buying the BMW Flasher for the $75.00 being asked for a new one so took the automotive route and bought a Tridon Slant #550 at Napa for five bucks, wired it into the stock plug according to the boxerworks thread Tucker sent me and just like that problem solved and everything is working as it should. Great advice all around

Back