• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Contined K12S Problem

jekrumpe

My 05 K12S has now been to THREE DEALERS looking for a solution to a problem which has become all but intolerable---jerky throttle during low speed driving. The reprograming did nothing. The latest dealer says I have a cracked air box, which they had to order and will replace in about a week. Has anyone else had experience with this? Will the new airbox fix the problem?

Thanks.

Jerky throttle

Just a thought, has the throttle freeplay been set. I had what I would say was a very sensitive jerky throttle and all the service manager did was adjust throttle cable freeplay. The freeplay as set by the service manager seemed excessive to me at the time but it did resolve the problem for good. Took me longer to explain the problem to him than it took him to adjust the freeplay.

My 05 K12S has now been to THREE DEALERS looking for a solution to a problem which has become all but intolerable---jerky throttle during low speed driving. The reprograming did nothing. The latest dealer says I have a cracked air box, which they had to order and will replace in about a week. Has anyone else had experience with this? Will the new airbox fix the problem?

Thanks.

It's true that the bikes come with a lot of throttle free play and I took almost all of it out up by the twist grip. That will help.
However there can be an issue with the airbox which may warp and cause the condition you noted. The fix involves a new airbox (available sometime in September) and a reprogramming. The newest programming is not to be done without the newest airbox.

I have the same bike and similar issues.

The snatchy throttle issue has been discussed at length on various K1200S web sites. Apparently the airbox warps when warm/hot and causes the idle control valve to stick. This is a WELL KNOWN problem w/ the K1200 (S and GT). You should not get a run around by a dealer! So, you need a new airbox. However, I'll warn you that the replacement won't solve the problem. :banghead The problem becomes less frequent and will come and go while motoring. One thing to try in the mean time is to reset the motronic settings. Turn on the key, let the bike cycle through the opening sequence, slowly open the throttle to full stop three times, then start the engine.

The 05 K1200S has a few well-recognized problems. Given that your bike is still under warranty, be sure to document all the issues you identify. Fixes are likely to come along after the bike is out-of-warrantly.

Good luck. Ride safe.

Peterh

??????????

throttle freeplay......motronics......re-programing........airbox.........thanks for all the thoughts, but I guess the bottom line is there is no easy answer and I am likely to be plagued by these problems for as long as I own the bike. What a disappointment. The bike does some things so well, has great power, handles great and looks great. All that, however, is not enough to overcome the jerky problem. To add insult to injury, I am not at all close to a dealer, so trotting on over for their next guess is not an option. Guess I will go back to Honda.

throttle freeplay......motronics......re-programing........airbox.........thanks for all the thoughts, but I guess the bottom line is there is no easy answer and I am likely to be plagued by these problems for as long as I own the bike. What a disappointment. The bike does some things so well, has great power, handles great and looks great. All that, however, is not enough to overcome the jerky problem. To add insult to injury, I am not at all close to a dealer, so trotting on over for their next guess is not an option. Guess I will go back to Honda.

YMMV but I did some reprogramming early on and love the bike. We have been from Vermont to Colorado on them so far.

Still not fixed

The new airbox was supposed to be installed last weekened (after a two week wait), but the dealer called and said they don't have it and they guessed it would take another 2-3 weeks to get the part!! Anybody want to bet it takes twice that long?? And with no real hope it will fix the problems!!

The new airbox was supposed to be installed last weekened (after a two week wait), but the dealer called and said they don't have it and they guessed it would take another 2-3 weeks to get the part!! Anybody want to bet it takes twice that long?? And with no real hope it will fix the problems!!

According to the fiche, the new airboxes were supposed to be in production as of 08/07. So you should get one soon. Interestingly, an older fiche showed the new airbox as of 01/07...then it changed to 08.

New Recall?

Just heard from the dealer that there is a new recall for my bike to address the jerky throttle complaints....not sure what it entails yet. Does any one know about this?

Back