• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Compact Camping Chair

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I'm looking for a compact camping chair, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any good luck or bad luck with the inexpensive ones on Amazon. There seems to be big difference in price between name brand chairs and no name brands. I'll spend the money on name brand one, if need be, but I'd be just happy with a no name brand if it's of reasonable quality.

I have a GCI packseat . Quite compact their website lists it for 30 dollars.

I bought one of those or a similar brand.
Thought it would be good for rallies but did not keep it long.
It was hard to stay in the thing after three beers :)

I'm wondering if anyone has had any good luck or bad luck with the inexpensive ones on Amazon. .

It will be interesting to see if anyone had good luck with the inexpensive ones.
I saw a few on Amazon under $40 that looked decent.

Kermit Chair is a regular height chair with the extensions in place, has armrests and an available drink holder. A bit fussy and complicated to set up, especially after the second or third “just arrived at rally” beers handed out by friends. Lots of individual bits that can get lost or left behind. Superb customer service.

Helinox is available in low and high versions, with or without an extended backrest. No armrests or drink holder, but easy to set up and all the framework pieces stay linked together and not likely to get lost or left. Not quit as stable on uneven ground as the Kermit, tho can usually be wiggled into stability as feet settle in. Packs much smaller than the Kermit.

With the low versions of both chairs I suffer the same situation as Lee after the third beer or brandy, so much prefer the tall versions. When I’m traveling to a place where I’ll be settling for several days, like a rally, I usually pack the Kermit. When jumping campsite to campsite on a ride I prefer the Helinox, for reasons stated above.

I haven’t tried the low-dollar offerings from fleabay or Amazon, as my 25yr-old Kermit still works well, as does my Helinox. Chairs are kinda like the bikes they are hauled on—a quality one will last an incredibly long time if properly maintained and cared for.

Best,
DeVern

FWIW I've had a Helinox since around 2015 or 2016. Good kit and I prefer not to gamble on any crappy Amazon Basics efforts. YMMV.

One of the threads in Similar Threads pane below as well as this one:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?25730-What-Chair

are kinda old. But if they mention something and it's still in use today, might be an indication that it has stood the test of time! :thumb

Damn inflation. The kermit chair in that 2008 thread was $129. The kermit chair is currently $299 to $349 (depending on type of wood), which equates to a ±8.8% annual average increase based on the $299 base price. Leg extensions are $50 and a cup holder is $20.

Damn inflation. The kermit chair in that 2008 thread was $129. The kermit chair is currently $299 to $349 (depending on type of wood), which equates to a ±8.8% annual average increase based on the $299 base price. Leg extensions are $50 and a cup holder is $20.

Wow, that’s into “too expensive to risk losing on the road or in camp” territory. Makes Helinox much more attractive.

Best,
DeVern

In 2019 I bought Annie a tall Helinox for somewhere north of $150. We both had low Helinox chairs. I later bought a Marchway seat on Amazon for around $50. The Marchway appears to be equivalent to the Helinox in every visible way and both have performed without any problems. I later saw the Marchway for sale at our Costco for $35. We both had Kermit chairs and sold them when we switched to the original low Helinox. The Helinox are lighter (much lighter), pack smaller (much smaller), are easier to assemble/disassemble and have been durable. They likely are not as durable as a Kermit chair which can become an heirloom.

I see that the Marchway is no longer available on Amazon. The prices provided are drawn from the memory of a once clear and fully functional mind.

I got a 2 pack of CLIQ chairs. So far- so good. These are regular height chairs that pack up to an EXTREMELY compact roll. I believe they were like 175 for the pair and the carry case.

Extreme packability- the 2 pack fits in my RT's side case easily. (this should be said twice)
Materials have proven high quality so far- thick aluminum, tough fabric.
Not cheap, but not the most expensive by a long shot. Bigger packs are cheaper of course, and come with case (last I saw)
Has oversized feet- but not suitable for soft sand. Don't bother bringing it to most beaches. Packed earth and such- no problem.
Ignore the cute video where the model flicks his wrist and the chair just "springs" into view fully extended and locked- this is complete bull ****
They also claim water bottle size packable. This does NOT mean a 16 oz water bottle. More like your wife's expensive Stanley bottle.

The forum has a (low IQ) mind of its own when it comes to pictures. Some of them got rotated. Sorry.

IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg

Not to Hijack the thread, but has anyone found a helinox type chair that is more upright (like my beloved kermit chair) the ones I've tried have all leaned back to far to be comfortable (for me).

O love my Kermit chair! Not the cheapest, lightest or most compact but the ergo's are amazing and it's top quality with excellent customer and for mt still getting excellent customer 15 years after purchase.
IMG_7629-XL.jpg

REI carries a nice selection. I bought a couple of chairs a few years ago and they've held up well. The rei brand prices seem to be about 2/3 of the Nemo, which they also carry and they have the GCI.

Doug

O love my Kermit chair! Not the cheapest, lightest or most compact but the ergo's are amazing and it's top quality with excellent customer and for mt still getting excellent customer 15 years after purchase.
IMG_7629-XL.jpg

What have you got against Vermont? :wave

Back