• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Check VIN for Campaigns/Recall on BMW Database

Very interesting. I tried mine, entering full VIN didn't work, indicated "VIN is not found." I tried last 7 of the VIN and it worked fine.

Thanks for sharing.

Same here.

It said that "There are no open safety recalls for your vehicle" when I plugged in the last 7 digits.

However, I got a postcard in the mail today that was titled "Important Open Campaign Information." It said, on the reverse of the postcard, that "BMW Motorrad USA records have identified your motorcycle as needing the following campaigns completed:

Software Update."

And "All campaigns are performed at no charge to you by your authorized BMW Motorcycle Dealer."

Apparently, even if that web page indicates no safety recalls, it may fail to indicate a current campaign to address an issue.

Harry

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the dealer thinks they have a choice on whether or not they perform the recall.

They said that is what BMW told them.

In fact, they actually offered me a free fuel plate from another bike that was warrantied from another bike for another reason. That fuel plate had the stamped ring on the flange collar... essentially the same fix as Beemer Boneyard's. I turned this down because they would have had to take mine for to serve as a core for the other bike... and I knew the mileage and condition of my fuel pump.

Now that I can get a whole new thing (I hope), I'll go for a new fuel pump all day long. :nod

Last edited:
Vin

They said that is what BMW told them.

In fact, they actually offered me a free fuel plate from another bike that was warrantied from another bike for another reason. That fuel plate had the stamped ring on the flange collar... essentially the same fix as BMW's. I turned this down because they would have had to take mine for to serve as a core for the other bike... and I knew the mileage and condition of my fuel pump.

Now that I can get a whole new thing (I hope), I'll go for a new fuel pump all day long. :nod

Hey Ian, All my fuel pumps (gravity) DO work all day long, every day ! KISS ! Long live Airheads !

:dance :wave

Friedle

Hey Ian, All my fuel pumps (gravity) DO work all day long, every day ! KISS ! Long live Airheads !

:dance :wave

Friedle

Can ya do anything for me on the stripped threads in the cases of my G/S? :ha

Airheads do indeed rule. That thought did occur to me as my bike peed gasoline out the side, 30 or so miles deep in the woods.

However, I got a postcard in the mail today that was titled "Important Open Campaign Information." It said, on the reverse of the postcard, that "BMW Motorrad USA records have identified your motorcycle as needing the following campaigns completed:

Software Update."

And "All campaigns are performed at no charge to you by your authorized BMW Motorcycle Dealer."

Apparently, even if that web page indicates no safety recalls, it may fail to indicate a current campaign to address an issue.

Harry

We got one of those postcards today from the dealer where one bike came from. It had all their contact info printed on card , not from BMW NA directly in appearance anyways.

The issue was the fuel pump plate that was replaced by the other local dealer. Guess the data entry is behind as that bike was repaired a few months ago.

My HP2 enduro comes up for the fuel pump problem. Unfortunately, mine broke in the middle of nowhere (of course) and I had to ride it out of the woods with gas spewing everywhere. This was well before the NHSTA recall.

There was a ton of info available on ADVrider.com and I wound up fixing it with the Beemer Boneyard piece.

When the recall happened, my dealer said that since I fixed it, my bike was no longer covered. Funny, the factory fix is almost identical to that Beemer Boneyard approach.

So I will ask again because I wouldn't mind getting a new fuel pump.

Ian

This is a safety recall. I don't believe for one minute your bike is no longer covered by the recall. As far as the NHSTA is concerned, your bike has not been repaired. You may want to contact BMW about this.

Back